Raspberry Chronivac

whatizit

So, are there any people here trying to follow muscletitanbeforephoto's guide to creating a Chronivac out of a Raspberry Pi?

Considering how his blog posts suddenly cut off just after his, er, extremely successful beta test and he seems to have completely lost interest in contributing to the community anymore - I think all the tech geeks here should pool our resources together to try and figure out the missing gaps in his how-to guide.

Anyway, I've gone ahead and purchased a Raspberry PI 3 Model B from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Model-A1-2GHz-64-bit-quad-core/dp/B01CD5VC92

I've just installed Raspbian - and as expected, it's running like a dream. 

I'm not looking forward to modifying the kernel the way muscletitanbeforephoto describes - but I've downloaded the kernel source code and added his patch - just running the unit tests as I type.

Of course, this is only the first step - but I'm a bit nervous about compiling a custom Linux kernel. I've never done it before.

Fingers crossed that it works right!

So, are there any other tech enthusiasts going to join in on the fun? :)

Feel free to post your ideas and experiences on this thread. 

• Upvote 3

I've trying the same as you. I got my Raspberry Pi a couple days ago and have been modifying like nobody's business.

To be honest I keep losing track of what I'd set out to do and haven't really even begun to prepare it for the Chronivac modifications. 

Mostly been trying to up its processing power and turn it into a real computer, but then wouldn't a Chronivac be able to do that for me. 

I don't really think its going to work, might as well get the real work out of the way before I follow a guide that leads to nowhere. 

Has anyone actually succeeded? or is it all talk?

• Upvote 3

On 5/26/2017 at 9:01 PM, ABSQRST said:

Has anyone actually succeeded? or is it all talk?

I honestly don't know. I mean, the live video stream of his beta test could have been faked - if you're a really experienced video editor. I imagine they can do anything with CGI today, So I'm still taking the whole thing with a grain of salt.

And a thread has sprung up in Reddit claiming that muscletitanbeforephoto has left his job. The descriptions of his resignation to his boss are a bit, um, "alpha male" to say the least.

But I haven't heard of anyone else being able to successfully replicate his process yet.

But even if this turns out to be a pile of baloney, it still sounds like a fun project to get me started with tinkering with Raspberry Pi. :)

• Upvote 2

It does just seem to be a pretty unquie way of getting a very limited miniority of the market to buy a Rasberry Pi.

I haft except the people pedalling these stories to have shares in the company. 

But I should be able to report back if it's real or not.... nearly ready to give this thing a beta test. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, guiltyj said:

Where can I see this blog?

Simply search for "A dork and his tech blog" on Blogger.

I recommend starting off with "How to circumvent the Chroninet authentication layer". He demonstrates how to capture an existing authentication token by masquerading as a Mark IV Chronipad client from the early 2000s. It seems there are a lot of Mark IVs still operational today and heavily reliant on a dated and insecure peer-to-peer communications system.

Oh, I also recommend that you save a copy of each post. Rumors are that he's ready to scrap the blog and promote his new site www.getdownonyourkneeswimps.com

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, whatizit said:

Simply search for "A dork and his tech blog" on Blogger.

I recommend starting off with "How to circumvent the Chroninet authentication layer". He demonstrates how to capture an existing authentication token by masquerading as a Mark IV Chronipad client from the early 2000s. It seems there are a lot of Mark IVs still operational today and heavily reliant on a dated and insecure peer-to-peer communications system.

Oh, I also recommend that you save a copy of each post. Rumors are that he's ready to scrap the blog and promote his new site www.getdownonyourkneeswimps.com

Thank you for the info so far. But I can't seem to find it I guess I just am unlucky.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started downloading the latest Raspbian to my Pi this morning, we'll see if I get anywhere. Even if I'm able to figure the next step in getting Chronivac running, I'd consider that a success.

• Upvote 2

I'm all ready to test mine out, making some plans, worried it might be a one shot, but then it might not even work, so I don't want to waste it.....

• Upvote 2