Deano's Summer: A Muscle University Story

muscleaddict

6 minutes ago, muscleaddict said:

Haha! No, mate - I absolutely take it as a compliment that people are discussing and analysing my characters. To pick up on a few points and let you know some of the thoughts I've had about the Ryan character - he is bisexual, like Deano and AJ but I feel like he's only ever had relationships with girls. Not necessarily because he has a female preference but probably because it's been easier for him to meet girls and have those relationships. Like Deano he's in a very straight world, surrounding by very masculine, heterosexual bodybuilders. He was probably "one of the lads" at school and being so good looking has always had girls interested in him.

Him being bisexual and attracted to guys is something he mostly keeps to himself. Kind of like a secret hidden side that no one knows about. Probably not out of shame or any kind of internalised homophobia but just because he *can* keep it hidden and it's just easier that way! Like Deano and Woody and other bodybuilders there's also no doubt the fear of people not accepting him. But I also feel like a part of him probably *likes* the fact that he has this secret attraction to guys that not many people know about. Almost likes he gets a kick out of the fact that he's a bit different?

As for he and Katie, I haven't really thought about the details but I've already had the thought that they won't last long. Obviously they have a kid though (who Ryan will obviously adore and be an amazing dad to) so they'll always be in each others lives.

I like to think Ryan will eventually meet a guy (no doubt another bodybuilder) and have a relationship with him. Then he'll have to face the issues of coming out - to Katie (if she doesn't know already) and his family and fellow bodybuilding mates. Maybe *that* should be the spin-off instead of a prequel? Fast forward a few years and have Ryan fall in love with a guy, while Deano's a famous professional 212 bodybuilder living in the States with his own bodybuilder boyfriend! 😜

You're the author -  I have no doubt that whatever direction you take this story, it will be compelling!

Sidebar comment - so you REALLY think Ryan can keep his bisexuality secret from everyone? THAT'S a narrow tightrope to walk! Remember, in real life, plenty of people get married because of an unexpected pregnancy.  Marriages later end, and it has nothing to do with different sexual attractions - there are just two very different people who ultimately don't mesh.  My point is that I don't think a marriage/ relationship to Katie is necessarily doomed because of the sex - it may be doomed because they really don't have much in common beyond the sex.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, muscleaddict said:

Haha! No, mate - I absolutely take it as a compliment that people are discussing and analysing my characters. To pick up on a few points and let you know some of the thoughts I've had about the Ryan character - he is bisexual, like Deano and AJ but I feel like he's only ever had relationships with girls. Not necessarily because he has a female preference but probably because it's been easier for him to meet girls and have those relationships. Like Deano he's in a very straight world, surrounding by very masculine, heterosexual bodybuilders. He was probably "one of the lads" at school and being so good looking has always had girls interested in him.

Him being bisexual and attracted to guys is something he mostly keeps to himself. Kind of like a secret hidden side that no one knows about. Probably not out of shame or any kind of internalised homophobia but just because he *can* keep it hidden and it's just easier that way! Like Deano and Woody and other bodybuilders there's also no doubt the fear of people not accepting him. But I also feel like a part of him probably *likes* the fact that he has this secret attraction to guys that not many people know about. Almost likes he gets a kick out of the fact that he's a bit different?

As for he and Katie, I haven't really thought about the details but I've already had the thought that they won't last long. Obviously they have a kid though (who Ryan will obviously adore and be an amazing dad to) so they'll always be in each others lives.

I like to think Ryan will eventually meet a guy (no doubt another bodybuilder) and have a relationship with him. Then he'll have to face the issues of coming out - to Katie (if she doesn't know already) and his family and fellow bodybuilding mates. Maybe *that* should be the spin-off instead of a prequel? Fast forward a few years and have Ryan fall in love with a guy, while Deano's a famous professional 212 bodybuilder living in the States with his own bodybuilder boyfriend! 😜

OK, please everyone!  Bear with me on this one. We live here in South Florida and have lots of gay friends, and anecdotally I would say at least half of them were previously married to women and most have children.  None of them considers themselves bisexual.  They were young and horny and followed societal dictates.  So I just can't buy AJ, Ryan and Deano are ALL bisexual.  Well, especially not "our little AJ".   And I definitely see Ryan and Katie's marriage doomed from the start.

CJ, however you present a spin-off I'm sure that it will be amazing.  They always are!  Would love to hear more about the adventures of all of these characters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DennisFLL said:

OK, please everyone!  Bear with me on this one. We live here in South Florida and have lots of gay friends, and anecdotally I would say at least half of them were previously married to women and most have children.  None of them considers themselves bisexual.  They were young and horny and followed societal dictates.  So I just can't buy AJ, Ryan and Deano are ALL bisexual.  Well, especially not "our little AJ".   And I definitely see Ryan and Katie's marriage doomed from the start.

CJ, however you present a spin-off I'm sure that it will be amazing.  They always are!  Would love to hear more about the adventures of all of these characters.

I defer to your experience.  I agree that Ryan and Katie's marriage is doomed, regardless o f the reason.  The  reason for a possible marriage has everything to do with appearances and supporting the future child, and nothing to do with a strong urge between Ryan and Katie to have a future, mutual relationship.  They're both in a situation of their joint making and they will try to resolve it together, which does them both credit. 

I don't think anyone in the story except possibly Ryan is bisexual.  As Muscleaddict noted, his primary relationships were with girls.  As to WHY, he's very attractive so it was easy for him.  I forget which one is AJ  -  is he one of the students at Muscle University?  I have to go back and check.  I can't comment on him.   I also think Deano Jr. is probably gay, and I predict, if we ever hear anything more about the rest of his life, he'll do just fine in the romance department! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if Deano Senior is an alcoholic. If not an active one, then certainly a dry drunk. In any case all three of them, father and the two sons, really need to get to a meeting. Pronto!

• 2 months later...

What a great story - what I loved most was the way you kept it grounded and realistic, despite the obvious temptation to have things happen the "fantasy" way.

Deano, like many characters with a chip on their shoulder, is complicated, but based on his history and immaturity in dealing with his feelings, it explains why he acts the way he does.

My only disappointment at the end was not knowing more about Josh - he seemed like a good big brother, wanting so much to be there for Deano but never really sure how to break down Deano's barriers and really connect with him.

I really liked the ending too - I think Ryan was too caught up in the moment to really understand his feelings towards Deano, but as others have said his relationship with Katie seems doomed to fail. Ryan is going to learn a lot from this life experience, and so will Deano, with so much of their lives still to go.

Your stories really stand out in these forums MA, hope you continue to write, and that it gives you the same pleasure to write as it does for us to read!

• Like 4

On 2/16/2021 at 7:20 AM, timaa said:

What a great story - what I loved most was the way you kept it grounded and realistic, despite the obvious temptation to have things happen the "fantasy" way.

Deano, like many characters with a chip on their shoulder, is complicated, but based on his history and immaturity in dealing with his feelings, it explains why he acts the way he does.

My only disappointment at the end was not knowing more about Josh - he seemed like a good big brother, wanting so much to be there for Deano but never really sure how to break down Deano's barriers and really connect with him.

I really liked the ending too - I think Ryan was too caught up in the moment to really understand his feelings towards Deano, but as others have said his relationship with Katie seems doomed to fail. Ryan is going to learn a lot from this life experience, and so will Deano, with so much of their lives still to go.

Your stories really stand out in these forums MA, hope you continue to write, and that it gives you the same pleasure to write as it does for us to read!

Thank you for the lovely feedback @timaa - I really appreciate it! 😊 I've dabbled in more fantasy-type stuff before and it was fun to do but I think these more realistic stories are what I'm better at. And I absolutely love the writing process, mate. I just wish I had a bit more time to indulge in it! 

• Like 3

Some of you may know this already but I've written a new Deano story. It's only 8 chapters so it's fairly short. It's taken me a little while to do for various reasons but I'm happy with how it's turned out! 😊

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Incredible story)) Each chapter keeps you in suspense. It's nice to see how Dino grows up over himself, his first love, his first parting. Dino's relationship with his father is also shown very well and thought out. I will eagerly read new stories (although most of all it already looks like books)))). Muscleaddict, keep up the good work, you have incredible stories, with incredible characters and their relationships.

• 11 months later...

I'm reading these stories in the wrong order: A fascinating universe with believable characters unfold as I read.

It's funny: I can't be much younger than the parents in these stories, but my memories of early adulthood are still fresh and vivid enough to cause me to deeply relate to its young characters in a heart-wrenching manner. Ryan and his slightly frightening posh girlfriend are probably about the same age as my younger friends.

• Like 2