New York Gyms Re-Opening

EverHopeful

There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

It's been 5 months, but the State will be presenting the guidelines for gyms to reopen on Monday.  For those of us in Rochester who belong to Knockout (I know there are a few of us), you might be interested to know you can workout this afternoon (1:00 - 7:00 pm) and tomorrow (time announced contingent on weather), because they have moved the equipment outside.  They are limiting the number of people who can work out (call ahead and book a spot), and they are charging a fee to members ($10) and non-members ($15).  You also, understandably,  have to follow certain guidelines as you work out (bring a mask, wipe down equipment before and after use).  

I already worked out today at home, but I may try there tomorrow.  I miss those machines!

• Upvote 1

Here's a link to the document released yesterday that sets forth the conditions under which New York gyms may re-open, beginning August 24: https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/atoms/files/Gyms_and_Fitness_Centers_Detailed_Guidelines.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1RO8l7R1eCEHp7FfPPvgafVpW7tgjN0rIunoo-iURKvzvw-kh0N91zX0M

It's 17 pages long.  I skimmed it, but there wasn't anything I noticed that surprised me, and I think most gyms were already prepared to take the steps that the government has laid out.  

Whew.  I am eagerly looking forward to the 24th!

• Upvote 1

And for those of us who train at Knockout ( @VRGoh and @Trekka ), the gym posted on their Facebook last night that they WILL be opening tomorrow at 6:00 am (until 9:00 pm for now), shorter hours on the weekends.  Lots of understandable precautions enforced.  I think I will bring my own disinfecting wipes to save them the expense.  You must wear a mask, and the water fountains will not be in operation.  Enter through the front, get your temperature checked, exit out the back.   Always wear a mask and maintain distances.  And one piece of equipment at a time, no going back and forth.  

As excited as I am to get back, I went to Virginia, which is on the doo doo list right now, so I can’t go in until Friday.... I have to observe 5 more days of quarantine.   

Be well, stay safe, and appreciate the chance to use a real gym again!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

And for those of us who train at Knockout ( @VRGoh and @Trekka ), the gym posted on their Facebook last night that they WILL be opening tomorrow at 6:00 am (until 9:00 pm for now), shorter hours on the weekends.  Lots of understandable precautions enforced.  I think I will bring my own disinfecting wipes to save them the expense.  You must wear a mask, and the water fountains will not be in operation.  Enter through the front, get your temperature checked, exit out the back.   Always wear a mask and maintain distances.  And one piece of equipment at a time, no going back and forth.  

As excited as I am to get back, I went to Virginia, which is on the doo doo list right now, so I can’t go in until Friday.... I have to observe 5 more days of quarantine.   

Be well, stay safe, and appreciate the chance to use a real gym again!

I was just about to post a message about this, you beat me to it :)!!  In the mean time, I have been dabbling in Reddit and found a most entertaining thread. https://www.reddit.com/r/swoleacceptance/

So my brother of Brodin, offer your prayers to the iron god, wheymen

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have never visited Reddit, but, oh my gosh, some of the posts there made me laugh.  I guess I can read more as I work out at home while you get to play in the gym.  I am so jealous, but I am going to observe all the rules strictly.  And when I get in there on Saturday — oh boy, I don’t even know WHAT I am going to train.   

Let me know how it is there today, @Trekka  And have fun.  

Not sure I know all the formalities that will get you into Swolehalla, yet, but peace to you, my friend.  

Wheymen

• Like 1

Today was my first morning back at the gym (my quarantine from having traveled out of state expired yesterday).  At first I was not sure if I’d gotten the time right,  because there were no other cars, but I decided to wait a little, and after a bit the owner arrived to open — I don’t know how many of the staff he has been able to hire back yet.  

For the first half hour, it was only me and one other guy on a treadmill, so I was able to go wherever I wanted.  I like it when it’s quiet, but I worry that the gym won’t have enough business to survive, so I was happy that a few others had arrived by the time I left (though one of them was using the cable pulldowns when I wanted to!).  

They had moved a lot of equipment to a “time out” corner, so they’ve been able to space out everything else, and the place looks good.   If you’re concerned about going back, I think they’re taking all necessary precautions.  I brought my own disinfecting wipes, but they have stations with all that stuff available. 

I am going to keep going there right when they open as long as my work schedule allows (I am an early bird anyhow), but if you all are going later in the day, @Trekkaand @VRGoh , let me know what it’s like.  In November, I may want to switch back to evenings, if it’s not crowded.  

Be well, and have a good weekend!

I have been going at my more usual 5ish pm, not crowded but early in the week is still busier than later in the week. I may move my gym time around for that reason, and try going later. Just so it's as few people as possible. I'm still trying to keep up the hiking which has been a source of enjoyment. If anyone wants to join, message me direct.  Right now it's weekend mornings, and a few weekday evenings.   I hope you are all going. Say hello if you see me there.

• Like 1

Could anybody give me reviews of both Knockout and World Gym? I’m moving into the area and those two stand out. 

I like Samson’s too, but it’s a bit too much travel to and from for me for now. 

53 minutes ago, TimelessStrength said:

Could anybody give me reviews of both Knockout and World Gym? I’m moving into the area and those two stand out. 

I like Samson’s too, but it’s a bit too much travel to and from for me for now. 

First of all, welcome to Rochester, @TimelessStrength, I hope you’re going to like it here.   

I can’t give you a review of World Gym, because I only toured it once, and that was many years ago.  I know a number of people who go there and like it, but it’s not the place for me.   The site was once a bowling alley, I believe, and it has a big, open feel.  Lots of equipment, and also offers classes, tanning, child care ....   It’s part of a big chain and has many amenities—whether those are at additional cost, or even if they’re offered at this stage in our Coronavirus response, I do not know.   

Knockout I love.   For years, I hadn’t even considered it, because I had assumed it was a boxing gym, and so I was quite surprised.  It has all the basic pieces of free weight exercise equipment I would ever need, as well as a number of other machines — treadmills, ellipticals, and other Fancy Thingamigs and Dodoobies.  No tanning, no classes, no child care, but clean and everything is in good shape.  The people there are nice, too.  

You’ll see people in all shapes and sizes there, and it seems comfortable for everyone, no matter what their goal is.

At present, a number of pieces of equipment have been moved to a “time out corner,” because they’ve needed to space everything out to be in compliance with COVID guidelines, but I’ve still been able to get in really good sessions since they’ve reopened, and have been more grateful just to be able to train in a real gym than regretful that, say, the side lateral shoulder raise machine is out of commission. 

I would recommend if you’re interested, to call and arrange a visit when you could train there, and you’ll see if it’s the place for you.  If you like locally owned gyms, it might be a good fit. 

— EverHopeful 

And, P.S., I like your screen name!

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Terms of Use, & Privacy Policy.
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..