My Roommate Rivals (CH 15 Added 25-APRIL-2021)

dredlifter

Here’s a thought: Let’s stop “bumping” stories incessantly. Dredlifter is a regular on the forum, and if he’s anything like me, probably sees these messages and just gets more stressed about (not) continuing the story. It’s a good one—let there be no doubt about that—but this website is free, and he doesn’t owe us anything.  

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

On 1/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, OldFashioned said:

but this website is free, and he doesn’t owe us anything.  

If that's the way you feel, then if you choose to write again, please don't publish until it has been completed. What an author "owes" the site when they start a story is to finish it. There have been so many wonderful stories that people have invested a great deal of their time reading, only to have the story abandoned and never finished. That is entirely unfair to your readers, the people you wanted and asked to read your work when you put it on the site.

Sometimes, there are circumstances beyond an author's control, or just plain writer's block, and most people are cognizant of that. I have no doubt that @dredlifter will finish this one in due time, as he has never abandoned a story before. However, people get nervous when someone goes from posting regular updates to a far more intermittent schedule. I know I get nervous when a story I follow drops off the first page. People bumping a story won't put any more pressure on an author than they can possibly put on themselves, but some might be heartened to know that their story has not been forgotten and that readers are still interested.

Unless the moderators ban bumping, no one has the right to  tell others not to do it. Also, once every month or so is hardly "incessant." 

• Upvote 5

On 1/19/2023 at 11:05 AM, OldFashioned said:

. . . if he’s anything like me, probably sees these messages and just gets more stressed about (not) continuing the story.

On 1/21/2023 at 1:46 AM, Kymuscleboy said:

but some might be heartened to know that their story has not been forgotten and that readers are still interested.

I suppose we could trust each writer to let people know if they appreciate or dislike the reminders that their readers are waiting for a continuation.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 8:28 PM, FallenAway said:

I suppose we could trust each writer to let people know if they appreciate or dislike the reminders that their readers are waiting for a continuation.

I would absolutely respect a writer's wishes if they made it known that "bump" comments bothered them or stressing them out more. I actually meant to put that in my last comment. 

I hope nothing I said was taken as a knock on @dredlifter either. I meant it to be the opposite in that I still have faith that he will continue/finish the story as time and inspiration allow. Besides whatever else he has going on in his "real life," he has been awfully busy turning himself into one of these fantasies by growing huge over the last few years, especially the last couple. If he figures out how to increase height too, I hope he shares the secret! 😀

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

I come back to this story at times. This is a rare example where I'm happy that story is unfinished. If it ends, i hope it will be vague. I just want the main characters to stay roomies forever haha

In a rare case it could serve as a reminder to an author tgat there is still a story unfinished.  Lives get busy sometimes if a story falls off the page or other things it could get lost in the list of "not so important things to do."  Then ultimaely forgotten.  

Although I  would kinda take it as a good thing.  The readers still remember and read it.  They're still fans of it and re-reading it.

It may or may not affect the next chapter getting done but that is up to the author.  

KYmuscleboy's comments are just an expression of sour grapes because he's fond of the story.

It's all good guys.    I certainly WANT to finish the story.  I know the general concept of how it ends, and ideally I could wrap it up in a just a couple of chapters.

I do intend to finish it.  Let me get through my bodybuilding contest first.  Winter is always a good time for writing because it's too cold to go outside and anything anyways. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

On 1/21/2023 at 2:46 AM, Kymuscleboy said:

If that's the way you feel, then if you choose to write again, please don't publish until it has been completed. What an author "owes" the site when they start a story is to finish it. There have been so many wonderful stories that people have invested a great deal of their time reading, only to have the story abandoned and never finished. That is entirely unfair to your readers, the people you wanted and asked to read your work when you put it on the site.

Sometimes, there are circumstances beyond an author's control, or just plain writer's block, and most people are cognizant of that. I have no doubt that @dredlifter will finish this one in due time, as he has never abandoned a story before. However, people get nervous when someone goes from posting regular updates to a far more intermittent schedule. I know I get nervous when a story I follow drops off the first page. People bumping a story won't put any more pressure on an author than they can possibly put on themselves, but some might be heartened to know that their story has not been forgotten and that readers are still interested.

Unless the moderators ban bumping, no one has the right to  tell others not to do it. Also, once every month or so is hardly "incessant." 

Bro, but isn't this about being convenient for you? It's the author's creation. We haven't contributed AT ALL in its production. I don't think we have a right to demand anything. I think it's okay to ask a few times when the next chapter is coming, but beyond that, just take a hint.

• Like 1