Just start.....how to reclaim the iron while COVID is still with us

Trekka

Well, we have made it....here we are a few days away from when things started going off the rails in a big way in the US.  Here in NY March 13th was the Friday that marked the transition into lockdowns and many months of a strange new world, one without our favorite place, the gym.  Even after the gyms reopened it was hard to reestablish what was once a fairly consistent 6 day training cycle.  It wasn't until Christmas that I was finally able to build a new, fairly consistent training cycle but less than the days I had previously.  Thankfully, I had started making some changes that, for me, really improved the effectiveness of each workout and I feel better about things than I have in a while.  The biggest piece of getting the iron back on track is simply getting back to ones training.  You likely won't start back where you left off, and that is ok.  Just start.  Rebuild yourself lift by lift and know you will get better over time, get back to what you had and then push yourself into new territory.  It will happen sooner than you realize, but you just need to start.  If any of you plan to try or are using Knockout Fitness, let me know, I'm happy to offer encouragement and help you get moving again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 12:47 AM, Trekka said:

The biggest piece of getting the iron back on track is simply getting back to ones training.  You likely won't start back where you left off, and that is ok.  Just start.  Rebuild yourself lift by lift and know you will get better over time, get back to what you had and then push yourself into new territory.  It will happen sooner than you realize, but you just need to start. 

@Trekka is right.  You just need to start.  I noticed this week with the new CDC guidelines going into effect Wednesday, I saw many more people at the gym than I usually do.  In some cases, people were just starting back after a long winter’s nap.   In other cases, the people coming back had obviously been working out somewhere (home gym?) because you could tell they were still in top shape.  But whatever the situation, everyone was very happy to be back in their old familiar second home.   Some still wore masks, because they are not yet fully vaccinated, and at least one guy who loudly brags that he will never get vaccinated (because it’s an attempt by “them” to control us all) was NOT wearing a mask, but every one was peacefully co-existing, and you could see real joy on a few faces when folks realized if they had been vaccinated, the mask was optional.  

I’ve learned that, this week, pieces of equipment that have been off the floor to allow for more distancing will be making their return, and that’s another cause for celebration.  

If you’ve been hesitating about coming back, use the weather as an excuse.  Summer is coming, and that means sunshine and short sleeves.   You will feel SO GOOD after your first workout, you’ll forget you ever paused (until the next day, when you will feel it.  Oh, will you feel it.)

Come on, Rochesterians!  Listen to @Trekka   Just start. 

@EverHopeful

• 2 weeks later...

That would give me an excuse to come back to the gym, though I'll be wearing the mask for another week, since my second shot was a week ago yesterday as of this posting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I hope you made it back, @VRGoh   Congratulations on your second shot.  

I am on my summer vacation, and my challenge is going to be working out in places that may not be fully open.  This week, though, I got a membership in a huge gym in Fredericksburg, VA.  I feel like I need a GPS to get around in it, but I have had two good workouts so far, and I am starting to get used to it.  The big challenge for me will come next week, when I may be in Canada.  I am not sure gym’s will be allowing guest memberships, even if they’re open.  

But I guess I will cross that Rainbow Bridge when I get to it.   

Happy Summer!   Let’s keep motivating one another.  @Trekka, your text messages the other day came at the exact right moment.  

Be well, all, and keep at it!

— David

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Terms of Use, & Privacy Policy.
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..