Deano, Again: A Muscle University Story (Deano Story 3)

muscleaddict

Five

It’s kind of funny how this time last week I felt nervous even making eye contact with Adam Lloyd, and now we’re training together and making friendly conversation with each other.

I’m almost shocked at just how easy it is to talk to him. Even yesterday when he rocked up to the Watson House gym for my first training session with Walker in a vest. Shoulders sticking out to a cartoonish degree. Ridiculous arms. And his thick pecs spilling out of the material. But even with all of that going on, there’s something about him that just puts you at ease. I think he’s one of those guys who just gets on with everyone. On paper, I probably shouldn’t like him. (And I’ll admit - some of his prep talk during the workout yesterday was kind of annoying.) But it’s just really hard NOT to like the guy. 

My phone pings at the same time Shaun gets home from the gym. It’s mad cunt Tony from back home replying to a text I sent earlier telling him about Chicago. He’s replied saying, “Just don’t forget me when you’re a famous bodybuilder (crying face emoji)”. Which makes me laugh. And also gets me thinking - that if I DO become a well-known bodybuilder in years to come (I’m not sure any bodybuilders actually become “famous”), out of all of my friends, Tony is the one I can see myself still being mates with. 

I’m not sure why exactly. Maybe it’s because I’ve known him the longest. Maybe because we grew up together. Or maybe it’s because he’s the only friend who actually knows that I like lads. He knows about that side of me that none of my mates here at Montgomery do.

“We gaming tonight?” Shaun says, pulling off his gym vest to reveal his freshly pumped freckled torso. 

“Mmm. Yeah - deffo,” I reply, as I send Tony a text back. 

So this is probably going to sound really fucking dorky but every Thursday night is a sort of unofficial gaming night for me and Shaun. It started out as a habit we got into a few months into our first year here at Montgomery. Shaun made a joke that we should make every Thursday night a gaming night. I pulled a face and we both laughed about it. But the idea must have sparked something because that’s exactly what ended up happening. Even if we don’t officially acknowledge it.

Not long into a game on Shaun’s Xbox, he asks me if I’m training tomorrow. I tell him yes and it prompts him to ask me another question.

“So what’s that Adam guy like?”

There’s this weird sort of judgemental tone to his voice. He kinda spits Adam’s name too.

“He’s all right,” I say, not looking at Shaun. There’s a pause.

“Why would you graduate with your pro card then come BACK though?” 

“I mean … it is like a job," I tell him, smiling to myself. "He’s not doing it for free. He DID ask me if we all thought he was mad for coming back, though.”

“Tell him yes,” Shaun says, matter-of-factly. 

That makes me laugh. Shaun’s always been a straight talker. That’s one of the things I like about him. Come to think of it, I reckon he and my dad would probably get on. Maybe I should invite Shaun down to Brighton this summer. I could get him drunk and take him to a gay pub. No, Shaun. You’re not imagining it. ALL of the guys in here are checking out my arse. And I hate to break it to you, mate - but they’re checking out yours too. Including the bald-headed bouncer over there. Who tied me to his bed and sucked me off last Christmas.

“Oh, mate. I've been meaning to ask. SU bar Saturday,” Shaun says. “What you saying?”

I look over at him. He’s staring straight at the TV as he games. His expression is hard to make out, and I might be way off but I have this feeling he’s trying to test me. 

“I’ve got training,” I say flatly.

He screws his face up a little. “That’s in the day though.”

Yeah - he’s definitely testing me. He knows we can’t go to the SU bar and drink the same way we did last term because of the programme. The programme his two other drinking buddies also happen to be on.

“Yeah, but - we’re not supposed to be drinking.”

He stays quiet for a moment. “I knew it,” he says dryly, not taking his eyes off the screen.

What does he want from me? Does he want me to feel guilty? I don’t say anything, but he pipes up again.

“America’s, like, ages away.”

“It’s in six weeks,” I protest, not wanting to get into an argument but struggling to let it slide. Because Shaun is being completely unreasonable. And I get the feeling he knows he is.

“It’s not like you're even competing. It’s only guest posing.”

Okay - that’s fucking ridiculous. Firstly, we ARE competing (at the end of term bodybuilding show in April - which I remind him of) and secondly, it’s the McCarthy fucking Classic.

“Whatever,” he says casually. “I’ll just go with Baker and McLeod instead.” (Two other lads from our year we’re quite friendly with - though more so in the first year.) 

But Shaun doesn’t go to the SU bar with those lads on Saturday. In fact, he goes to the gym, which he NEVER does on a Saturday night. It’s almost like he’s trying to make a point. You lads won’t go drinking with me because you’ve been chosen for the programme and I haven’t and THIS is how you’ve forced me into spending my Saturday night. Feeling guilty yet? Oh - and he was frosty with me too. All day Saturday and for most of Sunday too. Which got me thinking that maybe Shaun isn’t as okay with this whole Future Pro’s Training thing as I thought.

The annoying thing is - if Shaun HAS been trying to make me feel guilty, it’s worked. I mean - it can’t be easy having your three closest uni mates getting chosen to go over to the States to guest pose at one of the biggest bodybuilding events in the IFBB. And basically taking away the only bit of social life we can have up here at Montgomery on Friday and Saturday nights.

So I’m thinking that maybe the four of us could have one last blowout. Or maybe we could go to the SU bar and just go easy on the drink. (Which has never really worked before.) I feel like I owe it to Shaun though. So this is my plan - to convince Ash and Mafra to go to the SU bar next Saturday. To do it for Shaun.

When I walk into the Watson House gym on Monday afternoon for my first training session with Walker of the week, the last thing I expect to see is Ash talking animatedly to Keiran and Connell - two of the third years from the programme. And I don’t expect Connell to let out a raucous laugh at something which has just been said by Ash.

Huh. When and how the fuck did Ash get so chummy with those two? And why does it bother me way more than I could have predicted? 

As I get closer to them, the third-years both fist bump Ash and walk off, while Ash turns around and approaches me as he bulges out of his white gym vest. He says all right and fist bumps me.

“What are those guys like?” I ask him. He tells me they’re “sound” and asks me if I haven’t spoken to them yet in a surprised tone. And I think - when the fuck was I supposed to have spoken to them?

I ask him about going to the SU bar on Saturday. He laughs and shakes his head. “Nah, bruv. You’re fucking joking aren’t you?”

“I just thought, you know, one last time until the programme’s over.”

I don’t tell him that I want to do it for Shaun’s sake. I don’t think Ash is too sympathetic towards the Shaun situation. 

“Even if I wanted to, I’ve got training on Sundays.”

Oh. I guess that rules that out then. Maybe I can still work on Mafra though.

“You can take your new best mate!” Ash says sarcastically, with a sly smirk.

For some reason my stomach twists. Is he talking about Adam?

“Ozzie!” Ash clarifies, with a mischievous grin.

I relax instantly. I scoff. “Fuck that!” I say. I’m tempted to tell him about the private Instagram account. For some reason, I stop myself. Maybe it’s because I don’t want to admit to Ash that I’ve been checking out guy’s Instagram profiles. Even when there’s absolutely nothing behind it.

I know there’s no point trying to convince Ash to go to the SU bar. Mafra, on the other hand, is a lot more persuadable. He doesn’t seem crazy about the idea but when I say, “For Shaun … you know,” he nods and finally agrees.

So here we are. Saturday night at the SU bar. Almost the usual group of four - just missing one member. Shaun seemed sceptical when I mentioned it. And not at all enthusiastic about the idea. It’s like he knows we’re doing him a favour. Which is probably why he’s in a bit of a funny mood. So much so I’m starting to wonder why I bothered to even arrange this. Maybe he just needs a few drinks down him. 

It’s funny how I never see Woody and Henderson here. I guess they just stay in and watch TV together or whatever. This is what I’m thinking about as I’m stood at the bar in a tight white t-shirt waiting for the meathead monster third-year barman to serve me. 

It’s crazy how different this crappy SU bar is compared to all those packed gay pubs I went to when I was home for Christmas. I suddenly feel this yearning. Like I want to be back there. In one of those pubs by the seafront back home in Brighton. With a plastered Tony as lads check out my huge arse and biceps. Or maybe with someone else. Someone like Harry the Bouncer. 

“Ahem!” says a voice in a pointed manner behind me which makes me jump.

I spin around and feel an unexpected pinch of excitement. Because standing in front of, towering over and dwarfing me with his tall height and ridiculously built frame, with his large jug ears sticking out and a big, mischievous grin on his G.I Joe wannabe face is Adam Lloyd.

“All right,” I say, surprised.

“Erm … I don’t remember beer on your diet plan,” he says with a raised eyebrow, looking over my shoulder as the third year monster puts a drink on the bar.

“Oh, erm … I’m just having one.”

His face relaxes into a cheeky smile. “I’m just messing with you, Deano.”

I know that. Obviously!

“Who you here with?” he says, looking around the deserted bar.

“Eric and er ... my roommate,” I say, looking over to them.

My roommate who’s now just glaring at me. This really weird look on his face. What the fuck is that about? Jealousy, maybe? Because he’s watching me being all chummy with the new teaching assistant who’s helping me out on the Future Pro’s Training Programme he had no chance of being picked for?

“Oh - Shaun isn’t it?” Adam says, looking over at the glum-looking booth. “I recognise him from class.”

“What about you?” I ask, suddenly REALLY wanting to know who Adam’s here with.

“I’m waiting for Walker,” he says straight-faced. 

I feel a stab of panic before Adam grins. “I’m kidding!”

I relax and smile, feeling stupid. But also kind of enjoying being teased by this ridiculously built recently crowned professional bodybuilder.

“I’ve been busted!” I joke when I’m back at the table and giving Shaun and Mafra their drinks.

Shaun looks from me and Mafra with his face screwed up. Then he rolls his eyes and goes back to his phone. He’s really starting to piss me off now.

“Are you gonna be like this all night?” I ask him.

He pulls a face. “What?! I’m fine! Atmosphere’s hardly great in here anyway.”

I look out to the bar. It IS fucking dead in here. Though it’s not exactly helped by Shaun’s shitty mood. Am I gonna have to put with this for the whole term? Or maybe just until Chicago next month. I have a fleeting thought. Maybe I’m starting to outgrow Shaun? In more than one way. 

And then I see something which pulls me from that thought. A huge and handsome Black guy with a shaved head who is clearly a third-year walking across the bar and right up to Adam who’s picking up his drinks. Huh. So THIS is who Adam is here with. I watch on as the two of them walk to a table and sit down. I feel a tug in my stomach. I don’t really know what I’m feeling. Or why I’m so interested in the guy who gets to be in the company of Adam Lloyd.

Not long after and Mafra is talking about his training plan with Johnny Hoxton when Shaun lets out a loud, pointed groan and announces he’s getting a round in (this will definitely be my last one). Me and Mafra exchange eye rolls as he heads to the bar.

I look across the bar, which is getting a little busier, to my new sometime trainer and whoever that guy is he’s with. They look comfortable and easy with each other. Oh - and they like they're having a much better time than I am (which wouldn’t exactly be hard). I feel a desire to be on that table. Not necessarily in place of Adam’s friend sitting opposite him with a good view of his big jug ears. Just … there at that table.

And now I’m suddenly wondering - are they like me? Is Adam Lloyd like me? There's nothing about Adam that necessarily screams, "I like lads." But then, the same thing could be said about Ryan North. Could the guy sitting opposite him be his boyfriend? Maybe that’s the real reason Adam came back to Montgomery. To be closer to his huge hot bodybuilder boyfriend who still has half a year to go before he graduates.

I know it's a long shot, but just the thought of that being true gives me a strange sort of sense of hope. That there are other guys here at Muscle University like me. That Woody and Henderson aren’t the only ones. But as much as I wish for it to be true, that the guy sitting opposite Adam is his boyfriend, a part of me really doesn’t.

Shaun comes back to the table and I look at him dumbfounded. Because he’s not just bought three drinks back with him. He’s carrying a whole fucking tray of drinks, including filled-up shot glasses. For fuck’s sake, Shaun.

He ignores my glare and acts like it’s the most normal thing in the world as he puts the shot glasses on the table in front of us. I really can’t be bothered to argue, so I just pick up a shot and down it. One shot’s not gonna hurt me. And I’m not exactly going to be rushing back to repeat this night again. Certainly not with the way Shaun’s acting. This is my last official night at the SU bar until the end of term bodybuilding show.

I look over to find Adam Lloyd giving me this comical wide-eyed look. I’ve been busted (again). I roll my tongue around the inside of my mouth to hide how much I’m smirking. Then turn to find Shaun glaring at me with this stern look. Then he rolls his eyes. Which pisses me right off. 

“No. I’m not doing shots,” Mafra says, defiantly. Shaun groans as he reaches over to grabs Eric’s shot and downs it in one.

And an hour or so later, Shaun is fucking wasted. At least he's cheered up a bit. But yeah - he’s a mess. Mafra leaves (thanks, mate!) and Shaun insists on going up to the bar again for more. I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if the barman refuses to serve him.

I get my phone out and fire up Instagram. An account I follow has posted a shot of Felix King at a show a few years ago squeezing a crab most muscular. His traps up to his earlobes. This big “eat shit” grin on his face.

Felix is this huge Black monster who has been competing for years now, often cracking the top ten at the Mr Olympia. I’ve always loved his physique, not least of all his abs, which protrude from his stomach in a turtle-like roid gut. I kinda long for the day when I have a roid gut. Some people would probably find that a bit fucked up, I guess.

He’s another bodybuilder I’m going to get to see compete, be backstage with AND meet and potentially talk to at the McCarthy next month. Mind. Fucking. Blown.

The caption underneath the picture reads, “Could Felix King be crowned the winner of The McCarthy Classic in five weeks time?”

Someone’s commented that he’ll have competition from Mitchell “The Machine” Murray. Even the mere sight of that name makes me start to swell. Felix King versus The Machine at one of the biggest bodybuilding competitions in the world. And I’m gonna be there. I’m gonna get to see that epic battle in person. I wonder if The Machine would be up for hanging out with a bunch of budding bodybuilding students after the show? Okay - of COURSE he fucking wouldn’t. But a budding bodybuilder can dream.

I carry on scrolling down my Instagram feed. I could so easily search for Adam Lloyd’s profile instead. Maybe I’d get a hint as to who his hot mate is. And then I look up to find the real-life Adam at the bar talking to a drunk and animated Shaun. I feel a twist in my stomach. I don’t really know why. And then Shaun’s arm goes around Adam’s back. For fuck’s sake, Shaun. And then I hear raised voices. Something’s going on between Shaun and the barman. It doesn’t take a genius to work out what. The barman is refusing to serve Shaun, who’s getting irate. Jesus. Adam’s hand goes on Shaun’s back. It looks like he's trying to calm him down.

Shaun finally gives up and comes back over, looking pissed off. Adam pulls a cheeky eeek face at me from the bar. “That barman’s a fucking DICK!” Shaun cries. 

I stand up but Shaun stops me. “Where are you going?” he says. I give him a confused look. “He didn’t say we had to leave,” he says, sitting down.

I let out a little groan, annoyed. Shaun picks up an empty glass and puts it to his mouth. Like he’s trying to get the last tiniest drop out. God. Is this what I’m like when I’m pissed?

I look over and the barman’s glaring at us. “Shaun - come on!” But he’s not budging. “I’m still drinking!” he says, picking up his empty glass. 

And now something else is happening. Adam’s hot mate is leaving and Adam is heading towards us.

“You heading back to Johnson Hall, lads?” he asks us. He looks - what, I don’t know, a little nervous maybe? I’m confused. Did he really just ditch his mate to walk back with us? Or is this some sort of responsible teaching assistant thing? Making sure the drunk student leaves the SU bar and gets home safely?

“Nope! Still drinking,” Shaun replies stubbornly. Me and Adam exchange a look. When we’re both just looking at him, Shaun finally gives in, groans and stands up.

“Where’s your room?” I ask Adam, feeling oddly nervous. He tells me Prince Hall. Okay - so that makes a bit more sense. You have to walk through Johnson Hall to get there. 

As the three of us file out of the bar, Shaun points at Adam. “Your ears are MASSIVE!” he cries.

Oh my GOD.

“Really?! No one’s ever mentioned that before,” he says dryly.

“You're kidding!” Shaun cries, completely failing to recognise the sarcasm in Adam’s voice. Adam looks over at me and smirks.

“Deano thinks I’m jealous cause he’s going to the McCarthy Classic,” Shaun slurs as we head back to our dorm room.

Where the fuck did that come from?

“But I’m not!” Shaun protests. “Cause, you know … I’ll get there one day.” 

I feel a tug of sympathy for him. 

“You will, mate,” Adam says sincerely, as he pats his shoulder. “You’ve just gotta be patient.”

I feel an unexpected warmth as I look over at Adam and Shaun.

“And the thing is - we don’t know what’s gonna happen when we graduate,” Shaun says as he drunkenly rambles on. “ANY of us could become Mr Olympia. Even Henderson!”

Shaun pats Adam’s back. “You’re sound, mate! I approve of … this …,” he says waving a pointed finger between me and Adam. My chest tightens sharply. What is Shaun saying? I can’t seem to look at Adam right now. 

“Deano’s my boy!” Shaun continues, putting one of his thick arms around my shoulder. I look over and Adam’s giving me a happy little grin. I put my arm around Shaun’s back, suddenly feeling a surprising warmth towards my roommate.

“He’s, like, a PROPER, mate - you know? Mafra’s a SORT OF mate. Ash … ugh … he doesn’t give a shit. But Deano … he’s got my back, you know?”

What the hell? Shaun never talks like this. I’m smiling to myself as I grip onto his back.

“So you better look after him when you’re in America,” he warns Adam.

I nervously look over at Adam. He’s got this sort of coy smile on his face. “Well, I would if I was going!”

Wait - what? I feel a kick to my stomach.

“Are you not going?!” I ask.

He presses his lips together tightly and gives me a pitying head shake. What the fuck? How can Adam not be going to Chicago? I’m sure he said the other day he was going. I’m gutted. I’m actually, genuinely gutted. My chest tightens at that thought.

“Awww, mate. Gutted for you!” Shaun says. “Although … I can kinda relate!” Then Shaun gasps. “We can go to the SU bar that weekend.”

When we reach our dorm room, Shaun stretches his arms out and hugs Adam. I can’t help smiling. (While also feeling an unexpected pang of jealousy.) 

“Is he gonna be alright?” Adam asks when Shaun goes inside the room and it’s now just the two of us at the door. It’s like he wants to stay and chat to me.

“Yeah! He’ll be fine,” I say, rolling my eyes. “So … you’re really not coming?” I ask, feeling nervous. “To Chicago?” 

Adam shakes his head. “Afraid not, mate. It was all arranged months ago. Before the teaching assistant thing came up.”

“Oh right,” I say. “That’s a bit shit.”

“I thought about booking a ticket for myself and coming with but, hmmm, I dunno, that feels a bit … desperate?”

I smile and nod. I can’t believe he’s not coming to Chicago. Although, I guess when I think about it, I probably wouldn’t have been hanging out with him much anyway. I’d be with Ash and Mafra. Adam would have probably hung around with Walker and the other lecturers.

“At least I get a long weekend off,” Adam says. “I’ll probably go back home to see the folks.”

“Where’s home?”

“Have you heard of a place called Sandwich? Promise I’m not making that up!”

“That’s in Kent, isn’t it?” 

Adam nods. So he lives in Kent? That’s not a million miles away from Brighton. Not that that’s remotely important. Or even relevant.

“Not exactly the most exciting place to grow up,” he says. 

I tell him I’m from Brighton and Adam’s mouth curls into a little smile. “I know!”

My chest tightens. How does Adam know where I’m from? A shadow flickers across Adam’s face. 

“Deano’s Gym?” he says, awkwardly. “It’s kinda famous!”

I relax instantly (while feeling like a bit of a dick). 

“Well … famous if you’re a bodybuilder from the South.”

I hear a loud crash from inside the dorm room. “Erm. I think I’d better …,” I say. Adam laughs and nods.

“Thanks for … you know,” I say, feeling awkward.

Adam looks puzzled. But he’s smiling. “I didn’t realise I did anything,” 

Huh. Maybe he wasn't trying to be a responsible teacher after all. Maybe he just wanted to walk home with us.

“Except being told I’ve got massive ears!”

I bite my lip to try and hide my smile. But I know it’s no use. Adam’s smiling back at me. 

“See ya Monday, Deano,” he says, going to walk away. But he stops and turns back. “Ummm … are you ever gonna follow me back on Instagram?”

Erm. What the fuck? I have no idea what to say. Adam grins at me in that kind of coy way and then walks off. Leaving me to stand there at my door, feeling confused and oddly warm as I look at his thick juicy arse in his trackies. I go into my room, my thoughts running away with me and this weird, exciting feeling going through me. Because, for the second time tonight, I'm starting to wonder about the possibility that Adam Lloyd is like me.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, biggymnast84 said:

And….you’ve done it again! 🤣 I seriously can’t get enough of your writing! Can’t wait to read 6! 

Bless you, mate! 😊 Still a way to go yet! 😜

• Like 3

Just love the pacing that you're using in this story.  And it's so amusing to get to know Sean a lot more and how you've really gotten deep into Deano's brain with his thoughts expressed to us so brilliantly here.  How much is Sean onto Deano, or, maybe even into Deano?  Is Adam just being a genuinely caring professional at MU or is he into Deano also?  MA, we're already tapping our feet waiting for 6!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow, awesome.   Questions in my head now are which guy, the slow burn towards his roomie or does Deano get burnt by Adam? (Who could be in a relationship or could know that Deano is gay?) How big is Muscle University, cuz it’s weird that Deano hasn’t run into Woody and Henderson yet, the school can’t be that big, they must have classes together, I would think?  And why hasn’t Woody or Henderson posted on Instagram or why has Deano looked for a post from them???  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DennisFLL said:

Just love the pacing that you're using in this story.  And it's so amusing to get to know Sean a lot more and how you've really gotten deep into Deano's brain with his thoughts expressed to us so brilliantly here.  How much is Sean onto Deano, or, maybe even into Deano?  Is Adam just being a genuinely caring professional at MU or is he into Deano also?  MA, we're already tapping our feet waiting for 6!

10 hours ago, macookie said:

Wow, awesome.   Questions in my head now are which guy, the slow burn towards his roomie or does Deano get burnt by Adam? (Who could be in a relationship or could know that Deano is gay?) How big is Muscle University, cuz it’s weird that Deano hasn’t run into Woody and Henderson yet, the school can’t be that big, they must have classes together, I would think?  And why hasn’t Woody or Henderson posted on Instagram or why has Deano looked for a post from them???  

Thanks for the awesome comments, both. Hopefully I can keep people on their toes and guessing a bit longer! I have a bit of a soft spot for chapter 6! 😏

As for Woody and Luke - Deano definitely has some classes with them. There was the moment in chapter 2 where Deano and Ash walked into the classroom and Luke was just glaring at him and Deano wondered what he was thinking. ("I'm pretty sure he still hates my guts".)

So they're around, even if Deano hasn't made specific reference to seeing Woody. Don't forget the whole kiss/outing drama was a year ago and Deano got over Woody in the summer story so them being in the same classroom isn't really a big deal. *But* Woody does appear. You've just got to have a bit of a patience! 😜

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, muscleaddict said:

You've just got to have a bit of a patience! 😜

Patience is in short supply when you keep on delivering such a fine storyline.  😃

One question:  How long has "all right" been a British equivalent of "hello?"  I know you've used that greeting in past writing, but it still leaves me a bit puzzled.  Or is it more like us Yanks might say, "How you doing?"

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, crushme99 said:

Patience is in short supply when you keep on delivering such a fine storyline.  😃

One question:  How long has "all right" been a British equivalent of "hello?"  I know you've used that greeting in past writing, but it still leaves me a bit puzzled.  Or is it more like us Yanks might say, "How you doing?"

Bless you, mate! 😅 It's been used for as long as I can remember. It's very common and perhaps I overuse it but it just feels like the way these characters would greet each other and say hello. But it basically means that - hello. You can reply saying, "Not too bad," or "Yeah - you?" but just a simple, "All right," back is fine too. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, muscleaddict said:

Bless you, mate! 😅 It's been used for as long as I can remember. It's very common and perhaps I overuse it but it just feels like the way these characters would greet each other and say hello. But it basically means that - hello. You can reply saying, "Not too bad," or "Yeah - you?" but just a simple, "All right," back is fine too. 

The first time a British coworker greeted me with "You all right?", I squinted back and said ". . . Is something wrong with me?"

In the US, "(You) all right?" is only said to check if you're physically or emotionally intact after an incident of if you seem out of sorts.  Using it backstage at a fictitious American bodybuilding competition would probably get some amusingly awkward responses ;)

• Like 4

The British-ism that I'm still amused by, after reading MuscleAddicts's stories for years, is the use of the term 'liking someone'.  In the US you meet someone and after a first date you can tell a friend that you 'like' the person you saw, which basically means that you like them enough to maybe pursue a second date.  In 'AJ & Noah', Naomi can tell how enthusiastic her best friend Noah is talking about AJ, where he can't stop smiling as he speaks of him, and she gasped and said 'you like him', meaning in this case that Noah may even be in love with AJ.  The British invented our language, so perhaps we in the US should be following their way of speaking! 😜

• Like 2