A New Farmhand In A Very Foreign Land-Prologue

JasonDarkfire

Hey everyone. Been a long while since I posted something, and while this isn't exactly a huge start to a story, I'm hoping it'll at least be enough to get your interest for what's to come. Hope you enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Asura! What the hell is this…THING… you bought into our home?!”

Hey, I am not a thing! I’m a human being!...

…At least, that’s what I would’ve said if I wasn’t still trying to recover from the massive run for my life that just ended moments ago. When I said I wanted to get in shape, that wasn’t exactly what I had in mind in terms of exercise. The woman who’d guided me here, Asura I assumed, explained the situation while my lungs slowly began to feel less like they were on the verge of exploding.

“I ran into him on the way back from the town. He was just standing in the forest in the middle of nowhere, looking really confused and lost.” And she wasn’t kidding about running into me; I had just gotten to my feet when she plowed into me and knocked me into what looked like a tar pit. At least it wasn’t very deep, and I climbed out in time to see what looked like a mature Red Riding Hood standing in front of me.

“He?... That’s a male?” The other woman sighed heavily and shook her head. “Come on, now; you know as well as I do that can’t be true. Did you get too close to the confusion flowers again?”

“No, he really is a male! I…checked…” I couldn’t with her back to me, but I’m guessing Asura was looking about as red as her cloak.

“It really IS a male?... And you bought it here?! When it’s absolutely covered in The Blight?!” If she wasn’t already angry before, the other woman was furious now. “Are you TRYING to get us all killed?!”

“That’s exactly WHY I bought him here, though. Yes, he’s absolutely covered in The Blight, but nothing’s happening to him! An exposed male mutates within seconds of being exposed, but it’s been minutes and he hasn’t changed!”

The Blight? Is that what this tar stuff is they seem so concerned about? The way they’re describing it, it sounds like literal toxic masculinity. Then again, it does also explain why the first thing Asura did after I climbed out of the pit was press what looked like a freaking machete against my throat and held it there for what seemed like an eternity.

She seemed confused after a few moments, then she pulled the waistband of my workout pants and seemed even more confused when she saw my maleness. She started to speak, but it sounded to me like something between a hiss and a growl; I had no idea why she was suddenly speaking English now. I tried to explain to her I had no idea what was going on or how I’d gone from working out in my garage to lost in the middle of a forest, but she seemed just as confused by my responses as I was hers.

“I tried to ask him questions, but he didn’t seem to understand me. Before long though I heard something coming toward us fast, so I grabbed his hand and pulled him toward the portal back to our farm. Now that we’re in range of the farm’s translation runes, I was hoping he could explain himself.”

Portals? Runes? This all sounds crazy, but considering everything I’d have to be crazy to try and deny it was real. At least the burning in my lungs was finally dying down as the other woman continued to look at me with what looked like something between annoyance and disgust.

“Well, you bought it here, so it’s your responsibility. I need to get back to my forge.” The other woman stomped past the both of us and out the door of the cottage.

“Cyra!...” Asura tried to call after the other woman, but she slammed the door closed behind her and left the two of us alone. Asura sighed softly before going into a nearby room, coming back with a towel that she handed to me.

“You’ll have to forgive her; she can be quite bull-headed…” Asura tilted her head a little as I tried to clean myself off as best as I could. “…I’m sorry; were you trying to say your name before? I couldn’t tell, but it sounded something like… Hue-Man? Is that your name?”

“No, a human is what I am. My name is Xavier. I…” I felt a headache starting to come on as Asura lowered her hood, revealing her soft brown hair, bright green eyes, and tan skin while I tried not to stare at the brown canine ears atop her head that paired with the canine-like tail that waved gently behind her. Given how Cyra was not only built like a bull but probably was part bull with the massive horns on either side of her head, I was getting the feeling humans were in the minority in this world, wherever it was. I sighed heavily as I began to tell her my story.

“I was just trying to get in shape…”

• Like 11