Survivors 2-VII

aurelius

Survivors2-VII: 31-35

As we walked back from the harbor, Lateef said he thought I had done well.  “But why did you ask for cotton pouches?  You should have talked about what we would trade for lapis.”

“You’re right,” I said. “I was thinking on the spot.  I think we need heavy cotton pouches to carry things.  Cotton for clothes was just something I thought would be easy for them.”

Amare said, “I kind of would like a cotton loincloth to wear.  I’m getting a bit old to wear just a pouch.”

Dad said, “I agree.”

“OK!” I turned to Lateef.  “I have no problem with getting loincloths for our fathers and for some the other older guys.  Maybe I stumbled onto something we do need!”  

Lateef answered:  “Well, if it helps them find and return Menes and Shakir to us, then it’s for the best.”

Garin changed the subject.  “Abari and I are going to leave you and go to the quarry.  We will be bringing stone slabs for our new men to have new homes.   Are there going to be trenches across the bay for the slabs?”

Amare said, “Gareth and I—and anyone else who wants to help—will get started on trenches as soon as Asim and the others choose locations.”

I looked at Lateef and said, “We’ll help.”

Zuberi looked at Xander and said, “And we will too.  After all, the sooner the new men get houses, the sooner we get our homes back!”

When we got back to the bay, Amare and Dad took the new men to the other side of the bay. Lateef and I got some tools from our fathers’ house.

It only took a little while for Asim and the others to choose locations for their houses.  They wanted houses close together, so they chose sites in a line along the other side of the bay.  Lateef and I got to that side of the bay as they were making final decisions about where they wanted their houses.  They would be off the beach, under the trees.  They would be able to take a few steps from their houses and lie on the beach.  Amare and Dad would have to show off their strength and pull out some trees by their roots.  Osaze and Sadiki had some muscle on them, and they pulled out a few smaller trees.  Soon we had four spaces for houses.  Now we had to start trenches.

Amare and Dad paced out places for trenches and we all started digging.  Our fathers would get a trench started and then let one of us brothers or a new man make the trench deeper.  We had 14 men, including our fathers, and the work went fairly quickly.  But not so quickly that we had trenches before Garin, Abari and the other big quarrymen brought slabs.  So Garin sent the other men back and he and Abari stayed to help put up the slabs.  Besides, the other men had to carry slabs to the training field and the harbor.  The next few days would be a busy time for them.

All across the island, new men were choosing sites for their houses; older men were pacing out places for trenches, and the nearly dozen quarrymen were carrying slabs all over the island.  In a few days, we added another five houses on the far side of the bay: more of the new men wanted to settle near the bay.  Garin noted that we could almost form two teams for Coconut, simply with the men settling around the bay.  And a couple more houses were added on our side of the bay—Amare relented and allowed two houses to be built near Zuberi and Xander’s house.  And Garin’s idea for two Coconut teams became real.  

We had several days of digging trenches, putting up slabs, trips to the quarry for tables, more new men coming by and helping them find sites for houses—we were expanding our island population in very practical and tiring ways.  At the end of each day, we all went for a swim in the bay.  I let Abari throw me once—only once.  But he got to throw Asim and Heru, so he was happy about that.  Mostly, I was happy to sit at the shore with Lateef and Dad and watch our family and the new men splash each other.  

It became obvious that most of the new men didn’t know much about swimming.  They may have swum to the island to escape the sharks, but they didn’t swim well.  In a few days, once all nine new houses were built on the other side of the bay, Dad started giving swimming lessons, and Lateef and I helped.  We loved every minute of it; we got to see Dad doing something he loved, and his enthusiasm and care for each of the new men swimmers was so easy to echo.  Lateef and I held men up as they practiced their strokes and their breathing.  We even rescued a couple of guys who swam out of the bay, into the ocean, before they were ready for the heavier surf.   

The swimming lessons only lasted a couple of days.  All of the new men, of course, had good muscle and half of what we did was help them get used to their new bodies in the water.  But soon, we also had some friendly races.  And I finally beat Lateef in a race!   But I think he let me win—either that or he was just tired from helping all the other guys.  Still, it was fun and we got to know more of the new guys.

I wish I could say that I stayed with Dad and Lateef helping the new men learn to swim; however, I had to think about the Egyptians coming back and wanting lapis.  So I went to the smithy and talked with Zuberi about mining some lapis for the Egyptians.  He wasn’t pleased that I had made that deal—he wanted to keep all the lapis for him and Babu and their scarabs.  But he also realized that opening up trade with Egypt was probably the best thing for the island.  

I asked Garin and Xander to come with me and Zuberi as we went back to the cave of ores.  I wasn’t sure how heavy a lapis-laden basin would be, so I figured having two strong older brothers would be best.  They were definitely helpful in rolling the boulder away from the cave door.   And rolling the boulder away let in more light so we could see more of the cave.   And once Zuberi saw further into the cave, he wasn’t as worried about giving a basin of lapis to the Egyptians.

We found there was a lot more lapis than we originally thought.  As we went further into the cave—we really should have brought torches and explored the whole cave—we saw another vein of lapis, and we saw more black rock and even diamonds on the floor of the cave.  So, after we used rocks and tools to break pieces of lapis out of the wall and fill the basin, we picked up diamonds and put them on top of the lapis.  Zuberi would carefully find all the diamonds once we got the basin back to the smithy.  And Zuberi had to warn the other artisans that the lapis in that basin was for the Egyptians—and that he, Xander, and other artisans needed to organize torches and more basins to mine more lapis and black rock and diamonds.

While Zuberi, Xander, Garin and I were going up to the mountain to mine the lapis, I asked Zuberi if he and his spearmen buddies could organize a “welcoming committee” for the Egyptians.  I thought a show of force would be a good thing: a group of about twenty spearmen lining the beach as the Egyptian ship came into the harbor.  

“I don’t know if we have 20 spearmen,” Zuberi said.  “Well, you can add me,” said Garin, “I want to be there anyway, and I can at least carry a spear.”

I suggested that Zuberi could find another 14 spearmen among the defense force.  And I figured Xander already had several spears made: “Yes, we do!” he said.  “Maybe I could be a spearman too!”

“But I want my family with me when they come,” I said.

“We’ll be there,” Garin said.  “But Xander and I can come out of the line of spearmen and stand with you and our fathers.” “That would be impressive,” said Xander.

“But,” continued Xander, “have you talked with Masud about the work being done on the new ships?  I’m not even sure there will be room for the Egyptian ship to come into the harbor!”

“Oh my gosh!” I said, “We probably need to make a new harbor!”

“And even then,” said Garin, “It wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep the Egyptians waiting before they can come into the harbor!”  He had a sly smile on his face—a smile that reminded me of Lateef.  These two guys were becoming like each other!

“And,” I said, stopping so I could put my head in my hand and think for a minute, “having the Egyptians wait could also mean that Masud could send a runner to get me and the rest of our family—and the spearmen.  Yes, I like that idea, Garin!”

“And you guys think I’m stupid!” he chuckled.

“I promise you,” I said, “I will never think that again!”

So we got to work mining lapis from the cave wall.  After we had delivered the lapis basin to the smithy, I left to go to the harbor.  I found the place busy with men working on ships.  It took me awhile to find Masud.

“Are you going to build another harbor?”

“We probably should,” he said.  “Maybe two—one on this side of the inlet, and one on the other side—we already have a very basic platform over there so we can work on that ship.”  Across the harbor, men were busy hammering at boards, testing the ropes, and putting on a new sail.  

“It’s all very impressive,” I said.  “I guess we should call you the ‘harbor master’ now!”  Masud smiled.

“But you’re here to talk about the Egyptians coming back, aren’t you?  Hamadi told me about the deal you made with the Egyptians—I think you should have held out for more.”

“I understand—my brother Lateef thinks I should have too.  But I want them to return Menes and Shakir; I didn’t want anything else to overshadow that demand.”  Masud nodded and said, “I understand.  I don’t know those men, but I know they matter to you and your family.”

He paused and then said, “So, what are your thinking about their coming back?”

“My brother Garin had an idea—that we make them wait to get into the harbor.  And while they wait off-shore, you can send runners to the bay, the smithy, and the training field.  I’d like my family to be with me, and I’m asking Zuberi to organize a group of about 20 spearmen—a show of force as the Egyptians come into the harbor.”

“I like that!” said Masud.  “I like making the bastards wait.  By the way, has anyone told you how good Theron was when we came across one of their ships?  He fired off about six flaming arrows and the ship had to turn back, it was so damaged.”

“Yes, I have heard.  I haven’t had a chance to thank him.  But the fact that one of their ships never made it here—I think that really affected the outcome.  We barely defeated the ships that got here.”

“And,” Masud added, “I really like the idea of giving our water to the prisoners and making a bunch of new men.  They have been extremely helpful here!”

“Do you think we’ll have more than one sea-worthy ship soon?”

“Yes, we will.  I’ve already talked with a couple of my men about becoming captains the new ships.  I think we can expand our trade in Greece—if your brother makes more thunderbolts!”

“So, you sold all those you took on your last trip?”

“Sold them all, brought back a load of new beds—“

“Which the new men need—“

“And I brought back orders for about 50 more thunderbolts, and about 50 orders for dolphins.”  We both smiled.  “I guess we’re in business,” I said.

I talked with Masud about getting together with Zuberi and maybe the new captains of the other ships, to talk about if we needed a schedule of when ships should take jewelry and other things to which ports.  Masud was skeptical:  “I guess we could meet, but I’ve always liked the more informal way we’ve done things: I go to see Zuberi and ask what he has to trade.  He gives me what he has—and Xander or someone else at the smithy brings out a basin or two of ore.”

“That’s OK,” I said.  “It was just a thought.  If the Egyptians leave us alone, we can develop more trading partners.  You already trade with Mycenae;  maybe you could add Ithaca or Pylos or Athens.  Have you talked with your new captains about various places too visit?”

“We’ve talked a little about it.  Pylos is close.  Ithaca seems far away, although I imagine it’s not much further than Mycenae.  Isn’t Xander Greek?  Theron is.  Maybe we should talk with them about places to trade.”

“That sounds good.  I’ll talk with Xander and Zuberi and see if they want to get together on a more formal basis or keep things informal and personal.”  Masud nodded.  

“I see what you’re doing, Jabar, and you’re right: things are changing on our island, and we’ll have to change.  But let’s take it slow, OK?”

“Sure thing,” I said. I said my goodbyes and walked home with a head full of ideas.

I stopped by the smithy to talk with Zuberi:  “I hear from Masud that he has orders for dolphin necklaces.  Have you started to make those?”

“No, but they’re pretty easy.”

“And I hope you and Xander will come to our fathers for evening water.  I have some ideas I want to talk about.”

“Jabar!  You and your ideas!”  He sort of sounded disgusted, but he was smiling and said of course they would be there.

When I got back to the bay, I felt jealous: there were Dad and Lateef swimming and having fun with the new swimmers.  Suddenly I wished I didn’t have ideas running around my head.  Why couldn’t I just relax and have more fun?

Amare was soon beside me: “I know that look.  You’re feeling jealous that your brother can have fun with your dad—and meanwhile, you’ve been doing island business.  Come here, Jabar!”  And I got one of Amare’s massive hugs.  “We all need your brain, Jabar!  I think the water has made you smart.  We need you to think for us so that your brother can have fun with your dad.  And I’m sure your dad would say the same thing!”  Part of me wished that Dad was hugging me, but most of me simply loved the feel of Amare’s muscles surrounding me and loving me.  “Now, what do you say—evening water here, or back at the house?”

“I guess here is OK.  Some of the new men may have ideas too.  I don’t want us to become a secret society cut off from everyone else.”

“Smart boy!  I’ll go get the water jugs.  We’ll just pass them around.”  He went off to the house.  Meanwhile, I was able to separate my ideas from myself: I enjoyed watching my brother and my Dad having fun.

When Amare got back, he hollered for Dad and Lateef to come have some evening water.  And Dad invited the new men who had been splashing Lateef and him, to come out for some water.  Soon Zuberi and Xander and Garin and Abari were walking down the hill to the beach.  I hadn’t invited them, but they wanted to share evening water with their dads—and I loved them for it.

When we were all seated and the water jugs were circulating, Amare said to Dad, “Your son has been thinking again!”  And Dad said, “I’m not surprised!  It’s what he does best!”   And I got a quick hug and a kiss on the top of my head.  “So, my son, what have you been thinking about?”

“I talked with Masud today about how we could welcome the Egyptians when they return.”  I turned to Garin and said, “He really likes your idea of making them wait—and that would give us time for our family to get there and for Zuberi’s new spearmen to get there and make an imposing lineup.”

Lateef smiled but said, “Why do I hear a “but” coming?”  

“But,” I said, smiling back at Lateef, “I started thinking about whether or not we need to think about places we want to trade with.  And Masud wondered if Xander and Theron might have ideas of which Greek cities would be interested in trading with us.  And,”—here I paused—“I was wondering if we should have a set number of thunderbolts and dolphins the smithy produces, or the amount of ore we want to trade.”  I paused again.  “And I wondered if we need a group of men to think about these things on a more permanent basis.  I should add that Masud didn’t like that idea—he wants to keep things pretty much the way they are.”

“Meanwhile, my brother,” Lateef put his arm around me, “you’re thinking of what the future looks like—as you always do.”

“And I wish you would stop thinking about the future!”  Abari said with some force.  “I want you to stay home and be mine!”

“My love,” I said, “I will always be yours, but—“

“But he has this brain, and his brain has to think!”  Lateef turned to Abari and almost dared him to disagree.  I loved them both so much, I put a hand on each of their legs: “I love you both so much; please don’t fight!”

Garin could not be kept out of this argument; but he played peacemaker:  “Abari, my brother, you know that I love you.”  Abari nodded.  “But I also love Jabar and I `know that his brain has saved us in the past.  I hope you can share him with us and the rest of the island.”  He looked at Abari intently.  No one else could convince Abari so quickly.  He looked down, a little ashamed.  I put my arm on his big shoulders.  Garin continued: 

“I agree with Masud: no special group of men to make decisions; keep things the way they have been for as long as we can.  But Xander and Theron should meet with Masud—and are there other captains now?  Haven’t they almost got new ships ready?  But I would also not put any number of thunderbolts or whatever on Zuberi’s head.  Let him and his men do what they do, and when they have made another 50, then someone can sail for Greece.”

“Yes, my brother, you are one of the smartest in our family!”  I smiled as I said it, but I meant every word.  “And yes, Masud has already chosen captains for the new ships.”

A noise came from one of the new men; it was Heru: “Do you guys always fight like this?  Can we always come to evening water and be entertained by your fighting?”  Everyone chuckled and laughed.

Amare said, “We fight because we love each other.  Jabar has never lied to any of us.  When he has an idea, he brings it to our family.  If we don’t like it, we say so.  And if someone gets angry—like Abari—there is always someone in the family who can help him see love more than anger.”

Dad asked the new men if they had any questions or ideas.  Asim looked around and answered: “You know, I don’t think anyone has ever asked me for my ideas.  When you’re an Egyptian soldier, you just follow orders.  But thank you for asking.”  He looked around again and said, “I think it will take some of us some time to come up with ideas or questions.  Maybe at another evening water.”

Amare said, “Thanks, Asim.  That sounds fine to me!”

That night I made sure to make Abari feel wanted and loved.  I did “a Garin” on him—and I made sure to come up with a couple of jokes, to make him chuckle and giggle.  His body is so beautiful and powerful, it takes some effort to remind myself that he is still so very young.  So making our fucking fun is pretty important.  And of course, he’s no dummy; he knew what I was doing, but after I had come and after I had sucked him off, he took me in his big arms and said, “Thank you, Jabar!  I know that you love me, but when you Garin me, I feel whole, I feel like I am home with my love!”  And I got a big hug which dissolved into a very long and nice kiss.  And then we got to cuddle—always a wonderful thing—and I got his arm over mine.

The next morning, at our morning water, I asked what he would be doing.  He was still working with Garin and the other quarrymen; they still had slabs to carry for new houses at the harbor.  

“The harbor?  I’ll be at the harbor with Xander and Theron. I want to be there when they talk with Masud about places to trade in Greece.”  I paused.  He didn’t look all that happy.  “Yes, I will be meeting with Xander.  We’ll be talking about Greece, where he’s from.  Masud wants to trade with more Greek cities.  He wants me to be at the meeting.  Was I supposed to say ‘No’?”  No response—but no anger, either.  So I kissed him and said, “If I find you and give you a kiss, would that make it better?”  He smiled, so I knew he wasn’t very upset.  Then he said, “I know I have to share you with the island, but I don’t have to like it.”

“I know you don’t like it, and I know that giving you a kiss after I meet with Masud and the others—that kiss will seem pretty small and insignificant.  But I want you to know that I’m always thinking about you, that you are the most important person in my life.”

That helped a little.  His face brightened; he grabbed me in a hug and kissed me.  I needed to be going, but I figured this was not the right time to try to break out of his hug.  I would have to let him let me go.

He didn’t let me go for a while. Then he said, “We should be going!”  And I realized that letting him make the decision was probably the smartest thing I could have done.

I kissed him as we left the house.  He was going toward the quarry; I was going to Xander and Zuberi’s house.

As Xander and I walked over to the training field, I realized that this was the first time we were alone together since “the mistake”.   But I didn’t want to think about it.  I wanted to focus on today.  We found Theron waiting for us and skeptical:  “I’m not sure how much we can add to Masud’s knowledge of Greece.  I was a child when I became a slave—“ he turned to Xander—“and weren’t you also?”  “Yes, I was, but I think between the two of us we may be able to help Masud decide where to trade.  Maybe not, but it’s worth a try.”  I’ve always liked Xander’s attitude—it’s one of his most charming features.

At the harbor, Masud was waiting for us right at the entrance to the beach.  Further down the beach, I could see workmen putting together what looked like a new port platform.  Masud got straight to the point: “What do you boys remember about Greece?”

“Not much,” said Theron.  “I was captured in a raid and sold to be a fuckboy for some sailors.”

“Same here,” said Xander.

“I’m thinking of adding Pylos to the towns where we could trade.”

“I’d like to go there,” said Xander.  “I don’t know much about Greece, but I remember watching strong young wrestlers.”  When Xander talked about the wrestlers, his face beamed.

“Wow!” I said, “You may have been young when you were enslaved, but that memory has stayed with you!”  Xander looked down—and yes, there it was again: he blushed—and said, “Yeah, I love that memory.  I loved watching the wresters, their muscles straining against each other.”

“And that explains why you’ve become a good wrestler yourself!”  I resisted my urge to put my arm on his shoulders.  I was tempting fate simply sitting next to him.  What if Abari could see me?

“So then,” Masud said, “We might find customers for your brother’s thunderbolts and dolphins?”

“Yes, the Greeks have a god names Zeus; the thunderbolt is his symbol.   And the dolphin is Poseidon’s messenger.  I’ll ask Zuberi to make some of each with diamonds—so you can get more in your barter!”

“Then ask your brother.”  Masud seemed very happy with the result of our conversation.  Theron sat silent through most of it, and offered little.  The man often seemed a study in disappointment, so I thought I’d better say something nice:

“Theron, Masud tells me that you were wonderful in setting that Egyptian ship ablaze!  Thank you!”

Theron’s whole body changed; I had never seen a bigger smile on him; he said, “Thanks!  That was a very good day!”

“And it was a good day for us!” I said. “Your disabling that ship meant that we won the battle—we barely defeated the ships that made it.  if that ship had gotten to our island, we may have lost the battle and most of us would be slaves back in Egypt!  So, Theron, you really saved us!”  He beamed—and I was very glad I had remembered to praise him.

I excused myself and ran off to find Abari; he was up the hill, away from the beach, taking a stone slab from his broad shoulders near a place where a new house was going up.  I ran to him, hugged him from behind, and gave him a kiss on his cheek.  He turned, gave me a hug, and kissed me back.  “Thanks, Jabar!”  “How’s it going?” I said.  “Oh, you know: I lift and carry.  Not very exciting.”  “Well, these men think it’s pretty exciting—they’re getting homes, and you are making that possible!”  Finally, a smile.  “But I have to go talk with Zuberi now.  See you at evening water!”  And I gave him another kiss and left.

At the smithy,  Xander and I talked with Zuberi about making thunderbolts and dolphins for the Greeks.  I had a strange, fleeting idea that one day Xander would go to Greece and wrestle.  And maybe soon—when Masud was sailing to Pylos.

I also wanted to talk with Xander and Zuberi about bringing the basin of lapis to the harbor when the Egyptians arrived.  Garin and Xander had had no problem bringing the basin down from the mountain.  Should I ask Garin to carry it with Xander?  No, Zuberi thought he and Xander could carry it.  

That evening, Amare brought jugs of water to the beach again.  Some men from across the bay came out of their houses and started walking down to the shore.  Dad and Lateef had been swimming with a few other new men.  Xander and Zuberi showed and finally Garin and Abari—who both ran for the water, jumped in and splashed each other before joining us.

“I just had to wash off,” Garin said.  “We’ve had a hard day!”  I motioned for Abari to come sit next to me.  He came over and we kissed.

Asim surprised everyone by saying, “So, Jabar, what’s the news today?”

At first I didn’t know what to do, but a question needs an answer:  “Xander and I met with Theron and Masud.  We talked about Greek cities where our ships could trade.”

Zuberi added, “And my love wants to go.”  Xander looked down.  “Don’t bluish,” Zuberi continued.  “You’ve always wanted to go back and see if you could find your family.”  He paused and put his arm on Xander’s big shoulders. “And I want you to go.”  Xander brightened, kissed Zuberi, and said, “Thank you, my love!”

Zuberi pulled himself back and pointed a finger at Xander: “But you’d better come back to me!”  

“I will!”  And Xander kissed him again.

I had to interrupt the interruption: “We’re getting ahead of ourselves!  Masud is going to need you, Zuberi, to make more thunderbolts and dolphins.  Xander has suggested that if you put diamonds in them, we can get more barter.  Then, once we have traded once with Pylos—maybe then we can think about expanding the Greek cities we trade with!”

But clearly, the idea of going to Greece had men talking.  There was a murmur among all the men there.  Garin even punched Abari’s arm and said, “We should go to Greece and wrestle too!”

But I had other things I had to say.  I turned to Zuberi; “Have you found twenty spearmen to come to the harbor when the Egyptians come?”  I said this rather loudly, so that I would get the attention of the men.

“No,” said Zuberi.  “I’ve got my original six, plus four more from the training fields, and Garin and Abari—that makes 12.  Will that be enough?”

“Well.” I said, “more would be more impressive.”

Asim looked around at the new men and said, “I think eight of us can join.  We’ve carried spears before—for the Egyptians!”  

Zuberi was surprised: “You guys would do that?”  Eight heads nodded yes.  “Then that would be great!  Thanks, guys!”

Xander spoke up: “I’ve got spears at the smithy.  All you have to do is stop by the smithy before going to the harbor.  And thanks!”

‘Yes,” I said, “Thanks—you will make us look very formidable.  And that’s the idea.  I want the Egyptians to think we have a big army now—and maybe they won’t attack us again.”

I had nothing else to say.  As the jugs of water went round, men talked with each other.  Then Heru asked, “Jabar, what are you trading with the Egyptians?”

“We’re giving them a basin of lapis.  They’re giving us some cotton loincloths, some heavy cotton pouches, and Menes and Shakir.”

“I think you’re giving more than you’re getting,” said Osaze.

“Not to me: I want Menes and Shakir back.  You don’t know them.  They were taken in a raid before you guys attacked us.  I want the Egyptians to realize that we value each and every one of our men.”  And I looked at all the new men.  Some of them nodded—they got the idea.  “We’ll ask for more on the next trip.  My hunch its that they will ask—“ I turned to Zuberi—“for scarabs and ankhs.  But nothing happens until we get Menes and Shakir back.”

Amare added: “They are our friends. They man the far lookout—“ and here he gestured behind him, up the hill—“and they have been part of our lives for years.  That’s why Jabar has insisted that they be returned.”

Osaze responded, “I understand now.  Thanks for explaining it.” 

When we broke up and went to our houses, I made sure to put my arm around Abari’s waist and snuggle close to him as soon as I could.  He put his arm on my shoulders.  And he gave me a little kiss on my head.  

I whispered to him, “I’m yours now, for the whole night!”  Abari smiled and said, “I like that—I think I like the night better than the day!”