Survivors 3-3

aurelius

Survivors3-3: 51-55

It was a sad Xander who stood on the deck and watched the harbor recede as the ship pulled away.  Demetrios had run down to the harbor to give Xander one last hug and kiss before we got on board.  There were many waves and thrown kisses between Demetrios and Xander—and they kept crying the whole time.  It was a little hard to watch big, beautiful Xander wiping away his tears again and again.  I felt somewhat responsible, so I was quietly crying too, but I wouldn’t have changed a thing.  My chief aim was to return Xander to the family that loved him, even if it meant breaking his heart.  Neither Xander nor Demetrios said much beside “Goodbye”—they didn’t have to.  It was clear to all their friends that this leave-taking was hard.  

Masud provided a remedy: he came over to us and said, “We need your muscles down on the oars—all three of you!”

And that helped Xander immensely.  He wouldn’t be able to see the shore of Greece receding.  He wouldn’t have to hear Demetrios calling his name—but I did.  And after a while as we moved out of the harbor into the sea, the sea wind came into the galley and we knew we were on our way.  Abari and Xander got back to their friendly competition, to using their big muscles and pulling the oars faster than the coxswain wanted them to—and smiling at each other.

Of course, once we were out of the harbor and into the sea, our coxswain called for Xander and Abari and me to take a break.  So we were back on deck as the ship pulled away from the last sight of Greece.

I had to ask: “Can you see Demetrios with your bracelet?”

“When I touch it I feel him,” Xander said as he put his hand on the bracelet.  “I feel close to him.  But all I see is him back in their camp.”

“Well,” I said, “that’s pretty good!  Homer is something else!”

Then Xander surprised us when he turned and said, “I am suddenly very horny.  I could take care of it myself, but I would like it if one of you could suck my cock.”

Those were magic words for Abari: “Oh, Xander, let me do it!”

I had to smile, “My love loves nothing more than sucking cock.  And he’s pretty good at it.  Can Masud let you have some privacy?”

Xander said, “I don’t even need much privacy—let’s just go into the storage cabin—if we can find room there!”

So Xander and Abari went to the stern of the ship, entered the storage cabin and didn’t come out for a long time.  Even if they were kissing and fucking, I didn’t care.  We had gotten Xander on the ship; we were heading home with him.  I felt relief.

Masud came up to me: “I hear that Xander almost didn’t come home.”

“It was touch-and-go for a while.  Xander found his twin brother.  They were both full of sorrow and joy and kissing and hugging each other for a long time.  I was afraid we had lost Xander.  And for awhile, it looked like the Greeks would have enslaved Abari and me just so Xander had some more friends in the Greek army.”

“Then how did you get him to come home?”

“I didn’t.  There’s this blind seer named Homer.  He got Xander and Demetrios to dream themselves back to the moment when they were taken from their parents—and so showed them they were twins.  But as Demetrios started convincing Xander to join the Greek army, Homer came by—on the arm of a beautiful young man—and showed how different Xander was from Demetrios.  How, if Xander joined the Greek army he would eventually not like it.   And that started them seeing their differences.  Then Homer took a token from Xander—his thunderbolt”—

“I noticed he didn’t have it when he came back on board.”

“And Homer said some words over it and gave it to Demetrios.  Then he took a bracelet that Demetrios’ adoptive father had given him when he joined the army, and he gave it to Xander.  These tokens will always connect them.  Homer even said that they will help the brothers see what the other is doing.”

“That Homer sounds like a pretty amazing seer!”

“He sure is!   I think he’s going to Troy with the Greek army.  If nothing else, he’ll supply Demetrios with encouragement.”

“Well, I’m glad Xander’s back.  I think him not coming home would have killed your dad.”

“That’s exactly what I was afraid of.  He’s my dad too—and I can’t imagine my life without him.”  Masud put his arm on my shoulders and then gave me a good, long hug.  It was like I was already home.  It was almost better than sex.

“So,” I said after we broke, “Are we going straight home?”

“No,” he said,  “I still have a small basin of thunderbolt necklaces and a large basin of silver I want to trade in Crete.  We’ll be there a day or so.  I wonder if I should confine you and your brothers to the ship!  Every time you leave the ship, you get in trouble.  The rest of my crew—they just want to find a pretty young man and screw him—but you guys keep getting involved with the authorities!”  But he smiled when he said it, so I figured we weren’t really in trouble.

Masud left me to check on things around the ship.  I spent some time enjoying the sea wind, even if it meant losing my balance so that I had to hold on to one of the ship’s ropes.  Abari came up behind me and kissed my neck.  “I’d be happy to suck your cock next!”  I turned and saw him smiling.  

“Was it fun sucking Xander’s cock?”

“Yes, it was.  I’d never sucked anyone else’s cock beside yours.  His cock is a lot like yours.  Now I’m wondering if I should start sucking other guys’ cocks.”

“Yeah, our Abari is a real good cock sucker!” Xander said as he joined us.  “And, to be honest, I enjoyed sucking his cock too.”

“I figured something like that happened, since you guys were in the storage cabin a long time.  But, Abari, I’m surprised you would want to suck other guys’ cocks.  Aren’t you afraid I will mind?  Or that I will think you love Xander more than me?”  I couldn’t resist that last remark.  

Abari looked like he caught the reference, but he said, “But Jabar, I know you love me most, and I think you know I love you most, so what if we both have some fun sucking other guys’ cocks?—maybe just our other brothers.”

“Really, Abari?  After all the hell you put me through for kissing Xander?”

“But I was younger then—“

“It was just a few weeks ago!”  I was exasperated.  Who was this new Abari?

Xander put his big arms on both of our shoulders and gave us a little hug:  “Are you guys now becoming Garin and Lateef?”  He smiled, then chuckled.  And Abari and I chuckled too.  But I was really glad he was thinking of our argumentative brothers—he was thinking of home.

“Well,” I said, turning to Abari, “I’m not going to approve of any other cock sucking until we all sit down with our other brothers and our fathers and ask them what they think.”

Xander said, “I know what they’ll say.  Our dad will look me, Lateef and you in the eye and say, ‘Why would you want to risk losing the loves you have?’  And father Amare would say something like that, but more gently.  Our fathers love us and want us to keep the loves we have.”  Here he changed and looked at Abari: “And I think your dad will look at you until you feel like he’s looking at your insides, and make you feel like you’re being a child again.”  Abari looked down—as if he was a child again.

But Xander continued: “And I have to say Jabar, your love for our fathers is nearly as beautiful as their love for us.  You have kept them in my mind this whole trip—and I think I’m on this ship because I couldn’t cause our dad any pain.”

I couldn’t keep from hugging Xander.  “Thank you!  Thank you for saying that!  I had our dad in my mind the whole time you were talking with your brother.”  I broke and pushed myself away from Xander, holding his big shoulders with my hands: “I know it was very hard for you to leave your brother.  But I think Homer was right: in the long run, you would not have liked the army.  And I knew our dad would die if you didn’t come home.  I had to keep that from happening!”  I was crying a little; Xander was crying too.  Abari wrapped us both up in his big arms and said, “I am so glad we’re all still together!”

We docked at a beautiful harbor: Kydonia.  It wasn’t hard to see that Mycenae had conquered the Cretan town: Mycenaean soldiers were very visible in the harbor.  

As we were looking the place over, noticing the palace buildings up on a hill, Masud came over with a new thunderbolt and put it around Xander’s neck.  “You are going to be wandering through town.  You might as well wear this and tell people I will be trading thunderbolts down by the harbor.  I suspect that several Mycenaean soldiers will be interested, but there’s a Zeus cult among the locals too.”

Xander smiled and said “Thanks, Masud!  I will tell everyone who wants one to find you!”

As before, we wore loincloths and sandals as we left the ship.  And of course we brought along a water jug on a strap.   It didn’t take long before a Mycenaean soldier asked Xander about his thunderbolt.  Of course, the soldier spoke Greek, but Xander pointed to his thunderbolt and the soldier nodded; then Xander pointed back toward our ship.

But as we walked through the harbor, I noticed something strange.  While the soldiers looked at Xander and Abari—and we looked at each other, wondering if we would have to fight some of them again—I was getting looked at by some of the locals.  At first I thought it was simply that I wasn’t as beefy as my brothers.  Then I wondered if the Mycenaeans liked beefier men but the Cretans didn’t.  We were walking up a street of steps by what looked like the central palace when someone simply stopped and spoke to me—in good Egyptian:

“You look like you could dance with the bull.”  The bronze, good-looking young man had some muscle; his hair was mostly short but he had two long black ringlets on either side of his face.  Golden snakes wrapped themselves around his upper arm muscles and he wore a yellow loincloth.

“What?  Why would I want to dance with a bull?  And how do you speak Egyptian?”

“We trade a lot with Egypt; many of us have learned Egyptian.  You’ve got some muscle, but you’re not too big—no offense, friends.”

“None taken,” said Xander.  “My brother Jabar is a good runner and swimmer, so maybe that’s why you think he would be a good bull dancer.”

“Running, swimming?  We like both on this island.  My name is Nashuja.  We men of Kapadar like to move, to run, to dance—and so do our women.  Before the Mycenaeans came, we worshipped our goddess—that’s why I wear golden snakes; snakes are sacred to our goddess.  But nowadays, to get along better with the Mycenaeans, more of us worship your god of the thunderbolt, Zeus”.  While he made this speech, Nashuja had been moving in front of us, but he settled on Xander, and played with the thunderbolt on his chest.  It seemed he was seducing big Xander; it wasn’t provocative but comic—the guy had a bright smile—and Xander looked flattered.  But then Nashuja turned to me: “So, are you interested?”

“Go ahead, Jabar!”  Abari was more excited than I was.  I’ve never wanted to get close to a bull.

“But I wouldn’t know how.”

“That’s where I come in; I’m happy to teach you.  You are Egyptian, Jabar, and one of your friends is Ethiopian and the other looks Greek.”

“Nubian, not Ethiopian,” said Abari, but Xander smiled and said, “Yes, I’m Greek.”

“My apologies—Nubian.  I like all three of you, but Jabar looks most likely to be able to dance with the bull.  We have an arena on the other side of this hill—and a smaller area to practice on a wooden bull.  Come and see!”  And Nashuja took my hand, smiling, and pulled me along.  His enthusiasm was infectious.  I felt like if anyone could teach me to dance with the bull, he could.

The arena was at the bottom of the hill.  It wasn’t big, but rows of seats surrounded the dusty arena floor.  Young men with lean muscles like Nashuja and even a couple of young women were dancing with the bull—running up to the bull as it charged them, then leaping on top of the bull, putting their hands on the bull’s back and flipping themselves over so they landed on their feet as the bull ran from them.  Both the young men and women wore short, stylized loincloths—the women were bare-breastfed, something I had never seen in public.  And they were just as athletic as the men—something else I had never seen in public.

“We worship the bull because it is a favorite of the goddess; it symbolizes male power and the power of new growth.  The goddess controls all things, but she can’t do things without male power.”  Nashuja smiled and hit Xander’s chest.  Was he really trying to seduce Xander?  Xander smiled.  I imagined he would be perfectly fine with being seduced by the good-looking Nashuja.

But I still didn’t see how I would be able to dance with the bull.

Nashuja led us to a smaller arena where more young men and women were vaulting over a bull.  This bull, however, was wooden, so unless the young men and women were careless, there was much less chance of getting stuck by one of the bull’s horns.

“Now watch how they jump, Jabar.  They run at the bull, leap over the horns, put their hands on the bull’s back and then they flip their legs over their heads so that they can land on their feet on the other side of the bull.  Watch me.”

Nashuja took off his yellow loincloth and laid it on the barrier around the arena.  Beneath it was a much shorter loincloth.  He stepped into the arena and waited until a young man was finished with his practice leap. Then Nashuja ran toward the wooden bull.  He leaped up over the bull’s horns, planted his hands on the wooden bull’s back, and then flipped his feet over his head.  That action carried him down to the far side of the bull, where Nashuja landed perfectly.

I turned to Abari, “I still have no idea how I can do this!”  Abari gave me a quick hug and said, “I believe in you, Jabar.  You can do this!”

“Yeah,” said Xander. “I think you’re just the right weight to do this.  I’m afraid if I tried I would hurt my back in the jump, or land on my back after the bull!  You want us to stand on either side of the bull, to catch you, in case?”

“Yes, Xander, I would like that a lot!   Please go stand on either side of the bull.”   As they went toward the bull Nashuja came toward me: “You’ll want to take off your loincloth.” But when I did, he looked around and quickly stood in front of me, “You wear a snakeskin on your cock??”  He looked alarmed.  “That will never do here!  Take off your cock pouch and put on my jumping loincloth.”  So I slipped off my cock pouch.  As Nashuja slipped out of his jumping loincloth, I noticed that the man had a good-sized cock.  He put on his yellow loincloth.  He looked at me in his jumping loincloth and said, “Now you look like a man of Kapadar!”

And with my brothers I stepped into the arena.  Nashuja had motioned for other leapers to back away and give us room.  He smiled as Abari and Xander came into the arena and stood on either side of the bull.  He said something to one of the other young men.  I didn’t hear—and I didn’t want to know.  I imagined something like “Egyptian, Nubian and Greek—it takes three of them for one guy to leap!”

But I wanted to try.  So I took off running toward the bull.  I was so glad it was wooden.  Just before I got to the bull, I leaped up and over the bull’s horns. I came down on the bull’s back.  I planted my hands on the bull’s back and pushed off.  Only then did I remember to bring my legs over my head.  I wasn’t at all sure that I would land on the far side of the bull, but I did—and I landed on my feet!

Abari and Xander were quick to come to me and congratulate me.  Abari gave me a hug and said, “I knew you could do it!” And Xander said, “Well, done, little brother!”

“Well done, Jabar!  You see, I was right—you can dance with the bull!”  Nashuja came over with a big smile his face and he put his arm on my shoulders.  “But now you need to do it again and again.  I think you’ll find that when you know how to leap, you can feel a little space in you mind open up to the beauty of it.  Are you game to try again?

“Yes, I’d like to try again.  But for the next couple times, I still want my brothers nearby.”  I turned toward Abari and Xander; they nodded.

I don’t know how many times I leaped.  I lost count.  And I didn’t notice when Abari and Xander walked away and stood at the side of the arena.  But Nashuja was right: I started to feel something in my mind, in the middle of a leap—some space in my mind opened;  I was no longer someone who was always connected to the ground.  I was, for a brief moment, part of the sky, and part of something wider—was it the bull?  The goddess?  I felt something spiritual, something I had never felt before.

“Your face shows me that you have felt the sky open for you.  Am I right, Jabar?”

‘Yes, you are right.  I feel something open in my mind when I leap—something I’ve never felt before.”

“And now that you’ve felt the beauty of the leap, it’s time for you to dance with a real bull.”

“What?”  I did not feel ready for that at all.

“You are more ready than you know, my friend.  Come.”  And once again Nashuja dragged me by my arm—toward the bigger arena with a real bull.

Oddly, the bull didn’t look all that scary to me.  Maybe that was the result of jumping over the wooden bull so many times.  Or maybe it was that the bull wasn’t that angry.  He wandered around the arena, found some young man or young woman, ran toward him or her and they leaped over him.  Then the bull looked around and found another young man or young woman to run toward.  He seemed to run because it was something to do.  There were few people in the seats around the arena.  I assumed that this was mainly more practice.  When the people saw a leap that they liked, they cheered and applauded.  I made sure that Abari and Xander were close.

“OK,” said Abari, “a real bull.”  But Xander quickly added more encouragement: “You’ve leaped over the wooden bull so many times, you can do this.  The bull doesn’t even seem to be very angry.”

“But,” I said, “Maybe he’ll sense I’m afraid and become angry at me!”

“Then,” said Nashuja, “you just run faster and leap higher!”  The guy was a fountain of happiness.  Oddly, it was just what I needed.

Nashuja motioned to young men at his left and at his right.  They pulled away from the center of the arena.  I figured that this was my invitation to face the bull and make my leap.  So I entered the arena and faced the bull.

The bull wasn’t angry but he wasn’t placid either.  He snorted and used his hooves to raise dust.  And then he started toward me.

When he got close, I leaped.  I imagined I was leaping over the wooden bull.  But when I put my hands down on the bull’s back, I felt a living bull—its hairy hide was moving.  So I pushed harder and flipped higher so that I would be well away from the bull when I landed.  And I landed far enough behind the bull that I felt safe.  Would the bull turn?  Would he run at me again?  I had never had those thoughts when I leaped over the wooden bull.

And yes, the bull turned.  And yes, he ran at me again.  But since I had leaped over him once, I knew I could do it again.

This time, the sky opened—and because I had pushed myself higher for my leap, I felt that I was more a part of the sky than I ever had been.  In fact, I felt glorious! 

But when I landed, I also ran toward Nashuja, Abari and Xander.  I needed to feel real arms around me to welcome me back to earth.

What I also got were cheers and applause from the other young men and women—the real athletes who danced with the bull.  I know I blushed because I also hung my head.  Nashuja came over and gave me a hug. “Not bad for an Egyptian, Jabar!  You could take part in our festival if you were staying longer!”

After my dance with the bull, Abari knew I needed some water, so he gave me the water jug for a few sips.  But Nashuja thought we also should have some wine.

We left the arena and walked up the hill toward the palace.  Instead of walking by it, Nashuja walked in one of the gates.

I couldn’t keep myself from asking, “You live in the palace?”  

“Yes,” he said, “my father is the chief scribe.  The Mycenaeans here didn’t burn too much, and we’re still pretty much in business.  As long as the Mycenaeans get their money, they leave us alone—to make more money. So, everything that comes in, my father writes down; and everything the Mycenaeans take, my father writes that down too.  Meanwhile, I have a couple of nice rooms and I leap over bulls at every religious festival.”

“So, you’re kind of famous here?”  Abari was curious; he sounded like a kid, but it was a good question.

“Yeah, I am.  At least that means I get good wine!”  Nashuka led us down one passageway and then another.   The walls were always painted, sometimes tan, sometime orange, sometimes yellow.  We went from darkness into light several times.   There were open places with benches and painted walls showing flowers and strange animals.  Finally, he stopped and opened a door.  “Welcome to my place!”

In the first room there was a shrine along one wall with several figurines; the largest, over a foot high, was of the bare-breasted goddess holding two snakes.  On one side of her was a small statue of a bull, and there were several other statues—I supposed they were minor gods and goddesses.  There were two small oil lamps burning; Nashuja went over and put some more oil in the lamps, I guess to keep the flame going.

There was a small window in the wall against the passageway and a skylight in the center of the room, right over a cold hearth.  But there was enough light to see that the walls were covered with scenes of bull-leaping and dolphins swimming in the light blue ocean, and plants with bright red flowers.  

Around the room were big pillows—almost as big as our beds back home.  There was a doorway leading out of the room; Nashuja went into that room and came back wearing a nice blue cotton robe.  “Please” he said, “sit anywhere.  I’ll get some goblets for wine.”   He left the room as we sat down on various pillows.

He brought back a jug of wine and four cups.  He passed out the cups and started filling them with the dark wine.  Xander immediately sipped his; I followed.  Abari took a few sips—and I finally knew why he had fallen asleep at the feast in Pylos.

Nashuja sat down and sort of curled up next to Xander.  “I’d very much like to suck your cock, big man!”  He smiled.  As with his bull-leaping, there was something winning abut his honesty and confidence.

Xander smiled, leaned over and kissed Nashuja—deeply and for a while.  When he stopped his tongue-wrestling, Nashuja panted a little and said, “Now I’m sure I want to suck your cock!”  Xander smiled again and looked at me: “I guess we should tell him what happened at Pylos.”

“So, what happened at Pylos?  Did all your Greek countrymen want to suck your cock?”

“Just about,” Xander said.  “I met my aunt and uncle and cousin—and found where I had been a child before I was stolen and sold as a slave boy.”  But then he looked at me to take over.

“At night, Xander’s cousin came into our room and sucked his cock.  The next morning, he was bigger, with more muscle.  And as he had invited several of his buddies over to watch Xander wrestle, this cousin, Eteocles, told all his buddies about sucking Xander’s cock and getting more muscle.”

“And they all wanted to suck his cock too?”

“Yep.  Eteocles took us all to the palace where Xander and Abari wrestled for their Warnax, and afterward the Warnax invited everyone to a feast.  The wine was drugged and Xander and Abari fell asleep; they were taken to a room where their cum was milked.  I had run to get some of our ship’s crew to come to the palace.  After everyone was asleep, we snuck out of the banquet hall, found Xander and Abari and took them out of the palace—but not before I hit Xander’s cousin and knocked him out, twice.”

Nashuja looked at Xander and said, “Some cousin!”  Xander blushed—and of course, ever time he blushes he looks even more beautiful—and said, “Yeah, I loved finding my cousin, but he wasn’t a good man.”

“So,” I said, “we’re kind of leery of strangers sucking Xander off—or any of us.  If you suck Xander’s cock, you will fall asleep and wake up with more muscle.  You won’t be lean and fit, like you are; you’ll be more bulky—more like Xander.  Now, if that’s what you want, then fine—but we’ll leave as you sleep, so we are back on the ship in case you and your friends want to turn us into cum cows, like the men of Pylos.”

“Well, I don’t want any of that.  What if I don’t swallow his cum?”

I looked around at Xander and Abari.  “We don’t know, since we always swallow—our cum helps keep us strong.  I don’t think any of us has ever not swallowed.”  Both Xander and Abaci shook their heads.

“And so you don’t know what will happen if I don’t swallow.”

“No, we don’t,” I said, “but we’d consider it a waste of good muscle-cum.”

Nashuja leaned over to Xander and started caressing his chest and stomach muscles. “I could just stop sucking as you started to cum.  Or I could let one of you take over.”

Abari couldn’t resist: ‘Oh, let me!”

Nashuja smiled and went back to caressing Xander’s body: “I don’t need your cum; I just want to worship your manhood, since you are one of the most beautiful men I’ve seen—even if you are a Greek!”  He paused, then added,  “No offense to your friends.”

“None taken!” Abari and I said.

“And,” Nashuja added, “if you two want to suck each other, that’s fine with me.”  He looked up into Xander’s face, “Is that alright with you?”

”Sure!  I think Jabar needs some nourishment after the day he’s had!”

“But,” I said, “Aren’t you concerned that someone in the passageway will see or hear us?”

“Jabar, you’re in Kapadar.  Until you’re married, anything sexual is fine with everyone.  Some day my father will tell me I have to marry a girl he chooses for me, and I will have to sire children.  But even then, if my wife is understanding, I will still be able to have my fun with men.”

I smiled at Abari.  Kapadar seemed to be the kind of place he’d like.  He smiled at me and immediately started for my cock.  But I scooted around so I could suck his.  We didn’t pay much attention to Nashuja and Xander until I heard, “He’s about to blow!”  Abari immediately rolled over to Xander and took his cock in his mouth.  Xander’s beautiful face grimaced and he gasped as he came.  Nashuja seemed quite please with himself.  He wiped his mouth and said, “And I don’t feel sleepy at all!”

But I tugged at Abari’s big arm—I wanted him back.  So he rolled back over, and I took his cock back in my mouth—and he took my cock back in his.  We didn’t care if Xander and Nashuja watched.  I was hungry for Abari’s cock, and he’s always hungry for cock.  We came almost at the same time—and after which I rolled into Abari’s arms and he welcomed me as if we hadn’t seen each other for days. 

I guess we looked like we were sleeping, but we were just cuddling.  I overheard Nashuja say, “They seem to be really in love.”

“They are.  All of my brothers have lovers.  I have a lover at home—Zuberi.  I miss him very much.”

“Is he like you?”

“Not at all.  He’s very artistic,  He makes these necklaces.  Of course, like all of us, he’s got muscle—more than Jabar but less than me.  Zuberi and I have been together since we slipped away from a Cretan merchant ship when we were young.   We grew up together and became men because of our dads.  I’ve always loved him; he’s always loved me.”

“And yet you gave yourself to me freely!”

“Well, Zuberi’s not here, and you’re pretty—I think Zuberi will understand.  And I think that’s love, when you let your lover have some fun when you’re not around.”

It didn’t take much for me to imagine Nashuja’s hand caressing Xander’s muscles, especially when I heard Xander say, “You know for someone who says he likes lean muscle, you seem to like my big muscles a lot!”

“You’re right, of course.  And you’re even Greek.  I shouldn’t like you, but I do.  You’re a beautiful man.”

“And I’m not really Greek.  I had a chance to stay in Mycenae.  I met my twin brother there.  We were both taken from our parents and made slave boys on different ships.  In Mycenae I didn’t know we were twins, but when we wrestled, we couldn’t defeat each other because our wrestling moves were exactly the same.  His friends took us to a seer who sent us into sleep so we could dream the moment we were separated.  When we woke, we couldn’t stop hugging and kissing each other.”  I could hear Xander crying a little; I wondered if he was holding his bracelet.

“But why did you leave your twin?”

“Because I’m not really Greek.  I didn’t want to be part of the Greek army.  My twin loves the army.  I only fight when attacked.   And I’m not really that good of a soldier.  Jabar is a much better leader.  I’m a good blacksmith.  I make spears and swords.  I love to wrestle.  The seer that brought my twin and me together—he saw that I wouldn’t be happy in the army.  So I’m going back to our island, to my lover Zuberi and my brothers and my father.”

Nashuja was quiet a little; then he said, “Our goddess holds snakes because they show the power of the earth.  But they also show the power of secrets, of things that cannot be easily seen.  You are a beautiful man, Xander, but your muscles are not your true beauty.  Your love is.  And that’s why I had to suck your cock—because you are a true hero, a man of love.”

I imagined Nashuja was still caressing Xander’s muscles.  I was quietly crying; I hoped that Abari had heard what Xander said, but a tear that fell on my shoulder told me that he had.  Quietly, we all went to sleep.