I Can Fix Him (Complete story, 1/16/23, Bonus Material added 1/23/23)

TQuintA

Thanks for sharing that info, TQ. This was brilliantly written and deeply immersive; Auggie was a great cypher for us readers. Ultimately, I think this story was a marvellous advocate for being yourself and facing reality, even if painful. Trying to be something they weren’t was destroying both of them; accepting what could never be liberated them both.

• Like 2

It's not very often that I feel the urge to thank the author for writing their story, but this is one of those times.  Just simply having the representation of a character like Gabriel was a bold and wonderful choice, but digging deeper into his actions and his emotions to humanize and normalize him and everyone like him... it's hard to express any clearer than to say I am incredibly glad you wrote this.

While the ending was different than the numerous scenarios I imagined (I'm sure a few more scoops of ice cream could have boosted Gabriel to 420 lbs and 6.9% body fat lol), I know you opened up a lot of our eyes to people who are "different," to people who, at a first glance seem like they need to be "fixed," but who actually need to be understood and loved the way they wish to be loved.  In reality, our personal biases need to be fixed, and we need to keep listening and keep learning so we do not forget what it truly means to love someone.

This may have been a work of fiction, but the people and the emotions and the lessons were very real, and that's what makes a good story a great story.  Thank you for sharing your work, TQuinta, and I look forward to your next love and muscle-packed adventure!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

With FULL CREDIT to @jwood

I know you opened up a lot of our eyes to people who are "different," to people who, at a first glance seem like they need to be "fixed," but who actually need to be understood and loved the way they wish to be loved.  In reality, our personal biases need to be fixed, and we need to keep listening and keep learning so we do not forget what it truly means to love someone.

THIS IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO STATE TO MYSELF.  YES, our personal biases are what need to be "fixed" - like a cat!

• Like 2

We have to make sure that it is stated. Bias is one thing, but in Auggies case, what makes him feel whole? Can he really be whole without a sexual relationship? Also, if Auggie is biased does Auggie need to be fixed as a person?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ploder4 said:

We have to make sure that it is stated. Bias is one thing, but in Auggies case, what makes him feel whole? Can he really be whole without a sexual relationship? Also, if Auggie is biased does Auggie need to be fixed as a person?

I like to think of bias as the shortcuts I have learned or have been taught to draw conclusions (mostly false) about something or someone.  They are usually negative, but some of them can have positive connotations, like the concept that someone looks "smarter" wearing glasses or a really big guy gives great hugs.

Even the concept of marriage can be that way, and that's what I disliked about Auggie.  It wasn't the thought that he had to have sex to be "complete."  He had to be MARRIED to be "complete."  The idea that we have to either be with one person for the rest of our lives or be alone is an incredibly difficult duality to break, and Auggie would not take any alternative.

He did not think it was possible to love more than one person at the same time, but this is something almost everybody experiences in their life!  He did not have to force marriage upon Gabriel, nor did he have to move out.  Both Douglas and Gabriel offered the option of a polyamorous relationship, but Auggie was obstinately set on having sex before marriage and then getting married, no ifs, ands, or buts.  One person could have been more fulfilling of his physical needs, and the other fulfilling his intellectual and emotional needs, but, of course, this kind of relationship would need an incredible amount of communication and understanding.  Alas, they broke up, and Auggie was still single months after, despite Gabriel being sure he would find someone in days.

Ultimately, to me, it seemed like marriage was the thing Auggie felt would make himself whole, not sex.  As a result, I thought he was the person who actually needed to be "fixed."  If he had considered an alternative, his relationship with Gabriel could have turned out more positive... but we'll just have to imagine the what ifs!

• Like 5