Colin's Determination, Part 10

cropsey23

Colin led the team out onto the field, clad in Jackson’s incredibly tight baseball pants and tank top. His tryout for the team, at this point, was a mere formality. But if there were any doubts, he put them to rest with a stunning 90 minute performance: he tired out three of the team’s best pitchers with what Coach Conway calculated as a batting average of .695, and set a record first base run of 3.59 seconds. As if this wasn’t enough, just to prove his formidable power and endurance, he pitched for 45 minutes, clocking an average speed of 106 miles per hour, just shy of the Major League record of 107, set by Nolan Ryan.

What really sealed his position of dominance though, came when the team’s top hitter came to bat. James stood about 6 1, and a solid 195. He was known as a powerful hitter, and often came through for the team with a clutch performance. Colin’s first two pitches went straight into the strike zone. James was very competitive and had a reputation for his intensity on the field. Coach Conway and I were standing on the sidelines watching intently. James’ eyes narrowed as Colin stretched out for the next pitch. But instead of winding up, Colin dropped his baseball glove.

Coach Conway turned to me and said, “Greg, he can’t pitch without a glove. It’s against league rules, and he’ll break his hand if James hits the ball to him.” Coach started to trot out to the pitcher’s mound. Instinctively, I reached over and just grabbed his shoulder. Not realizing how my own grip strength had improved, I was surprised to see the Coach immobilized.

“You’ll stay here, Coach, and leave Colin alone,” I said, feeling a surge of the power that Colin was so easily displaying.  “He knows what he is doing.” I glanced over at Colin and he nodded to me approvingly. Coach took a step back; wisely realizing that resisting my iron grip was futile. I chuckled a bit, just imagining what thoughts were going through his head right now.

The pitch to James went right down the middle, and his bat connected with the ball. The ball went like a bullet, right towards Colin. In that instant, I was terrified because he didn’t have a glove to catch it, but I also had confidence in his power and athletic instinct. In a play that is still talked about by those who witnessed it, Colin just extended his thick arm. I could see the ropy muscles of his forearm tighten up as his enormous hand opened up. And he stopped that ball dead in its tracks with his bare hand. I could see the power rocketing up his forearm to his enormous bicep and then to his cannonball deltoid, and even being absorbed down to his thick chest. In an instant, he had stopped what was quite literally a bullet with his bare hand, using the solid muscle of his entire upper body to absorb the impact.

And he easily absorbed that impact. While the rest of us were stunned in silence, Colin seemed entirely unfazed. He just looked at James and said, “You’re out.”

In a fury, James dropped his bat and charged at Colin. Colin just stood firm, his entire body clenched as he said “Let me see what you are made of James.” All 195lbs of James’ solid muscle crashed right into Colin, who didn’t even tip back an inch. He absorbed the body blow as easily as he absorbed the baseball. James seemed to bounce right off Colin, and landed flat on his back. Being a good sportsman, Colin reached down and hoisted him up to his feet with ease. “I like your energy James, I can work with that,” is all he said to the dazed powerhouse hitter.

As he walked off the mound, Coach Conway said, “Colin, I’m sorry I doubted you. Third base is yours.”

Colin just replied, “All the positions are mine now, Coach. Do you think I need your approval anymore?” And without waiting for a response, he walked towards me at the dugout.

He stood facing me, and while I was still getting used to looking up at him, I felt very proud. The ball was still in his hand, and I gazed as moved it about, strengthening his grip. In fact, he was looking at my hands. “I’m impressed with you Greg, you sure did take care of the Coach just then.” His eyes still on my hands, he just nodded to me. I lifted one hand up, and placed it on his shoulder. “Go ahead Greg, let me feel that power I put into you.” I tightened my grip on his shoulder, which felt like solid steel to me. I could barely make a dent in him, but he sure was measuring me up.

“All those years that you worshipped me, Colin. You were really just training me?”

“I was learning from you, brother. You had so much potential, but I just knew how to bring you…both of us, to an entirely different level. And now, you sure feel much stronger Greg.” Then he lifted his empty hand and put in on my shoulder, and in an instant, I was in his death grip. But I was able to withstand it. I slid my hand down to his thick, powerful chest, and placed it right over his heart. Even with all the exertion, he was still, incredibly, very calm. Without saying a word, we both knew he was that although he was bringing me along on this incredible journey of surging power, he was clearly the dominant force now.

The whole time we were practicing, Jackson was running up and down the stadium steps, clad in the 75lb weight vest. Brendan and Jeremy were pushing him, and they seemed utterly tireless. As he let his grip on me relax, I could see Colin’s big chest heave as he summoned them in a booming and commanding voice. We all gathered around Colin as Jackson trotted over to us.

Jackson seemed completely spent, but at the same time I could tell he was activated by Colin’s attention. Brendan and Jeremy, much like Colin, seemed completely relaxed. Jackson stood upright, next to Colin, but he seemed like putty in Colin’s hands. Jackson started to peel off the weight vest.

“That was some workout Colin,” he said.

“The workout has just started Jackson. You need to strap that vest back on.” Even though Jackson’s size advantage over Colin was obvious, it was clear that Jackson would not be defiant.

Brendan and Jeremy seemed to know what to do next without being asked. “500 push ups” said Jeremy. Jackson scoffed, until he saw Brendan holding two 45lb. plates. “You’ll do them with these on your back. It’s the only way you will grow Jackson. And then 500 pull ups, also with the plates attached to a weight belt” Just hearing the word grow seemed to motivate Jackson. He dropped and got into a perfect push up starting position. Colin stood over him as Brendan set the weights on his back. “Do some math Jackson. Show us all how smart you are. And what you didn’t even know you were capable of, until I came along.”

Jackson, with his entire body tightened up, said, “I weigh 210. The 75lb vest brings it to 285. And now the two 45lb plates on my back bring the total to 375lbs.”

“Give me 500 reps Jackson,” Colin said very coolly. “Brendan and Jeremy will push you through it. Then give me 500 pull-ups, same weight.” Then Colin squatted down and whispered into Jackson’s ear, “Do it, and you will grow.” And instantly, Jackson stared churning out the push-ups.

Colin sent the rest of the team into the weight room, and told them to get started. I stayed behind, as did Coach Conway, and Marcus, who seemed to be quietly observant all afternoon.

“Coach, I need housing for the team,” said Colin. “Over the next 14 days, we will eat, sleep and train as one, at my direction. You will stay with us, since the team needs a liaison to the university. But I am setting the direction for this team now, is that clear?”

The Coach seemed to hesitate for just a second. “I’m not sure I can get housing at this point in the year Colin.”

Colin just glanced over at me. I looked down at my hands, and had a sudden realization: I was, in many ways, as powerful and athletically fit as Colin, Brendan and Jeremy. Colin had been transforming me all along. And although I would never be as big or strong as Colin, I felt that surge of power that seemed to emanate from him. I gently placed a hand on the Coach’s fairly thick neck. As if in a trance, I heard Colin say, “Feel the power Greg. It’s yours.”

As I slowly tightened my grip on the Coach, I could see his knees start to buckle. Instead of resisting me, the Coach seemed to just give in to my grip. I just heard him say “Oh shit Greg…take it easy, you are like a python.” But instead of relaxing, I tightened up a bit more; just to show him I was comfortable using my newfound power.

“There’s an abandoned university house on Pearson Street, Coach. It’s ours now, right?” I said.

“Yes Greg. But it was boarded up last month.” I tightened just a bit more, and the Coach relented and said, “I’m sure you can punch that door right open Greg.”

“It’s ours now Coach,” said Colin. Then he turned to Marcus and said “You belong to Greg now. I will supervise your training, but you belong to him. Got it?”

“Got it, Colin,” he replied dutifully. “Now let’s go see our new home.”

• Upvote 12

I'm glad to see that Greg isn't losing out.  The fact that Greg's workout has also been influenced by Colin makes Colin all the more powerful.  It's also good to see the respect between them as teacher and student flipped.  

Awesome story.  Is there more?

I'm glad to see that Greg isn't losing out.  The fact that Greg's workout has also been influenced by Colin makes Colin all the more powerful.  It's also good to see the respect between them as teacher and student flipped.  

Awesome story.  Is there more?

Yes there is more coming.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...