Colin's Determination, Part 4

cropsey23

Day 43

It had been a whirlwind week since Colin "borrowed" my car keys. There had been a subtle but noticeable shift in our relationship. Colin was getting more assertive about his workouts and diet. And even though I was still putting together his workout plans day by day, really, all I was doing was writing down what he told me to. Clearly he had been paying attention to my workouts all these years, and he was much more knowledgeable than I realized. 

And the workouts seemed to be benefiting both of us. Colin was getting stronger, there was no doubt, and I was gaining mass as well. I was pleased to feel my jeans looser in the waist, even though I had gained 6 pounds. 6 feet tall, 186 pounds, it was probably the best shape I had ever been in.

I was planning to visit my grandparents for a few days. Before I left, Colin asked me to review his workout plans. I sat in my bedroom and flipped through the tattered notebook we had been using to keep track of his progress.

Day 3, bench press, 85 lbs, Colin struggled to complete 6 reps. 

Day 7, bench press, 95 lbs, Colin finished 8 reps, out of breath, but ready to take on more

Day 15, bench press, 135 lbs, Colin easily finished 12 reps

Day 24, bench press, 155 lbs, Colin easily finished 15 reps 

Day 35, bench press, 175 lbs, Colin easily finished 12 reps

If I hadn't been present for all those workouts, I never would have believed that progress. An 85lb bench press to 175 lbs in just over a month? It was remarkable. My own bench press PR was 245, and Colin was quickly closing in on that record.

Colin sauntered into my room as I was getting my bag packed. He leaned against the door frame, of which he was filling more and more, and went through the training plan. He was still wearing the hoody, so my only visual measure of his progress was the size of his forearms, which had filled out and solidified like steel cables.

And then I noticed his neck.

I could see his traps leading up from his back to a newly thickened, very solid neck. It was the type of neck you saw on professional football players, the guys who can never get their dress shirts to button all the way up. I have no other way of explaining it. By instinct, again, I looked at my neck in the mirror, then back at his. He noticed me doing it, and just smiled.

"You look surprised Greg."

"Colin." I stumbled for some words, and then tried to change the subject. "I wrote out your training plan, and remember to eat." As if he needed to be reminded of that. I was nervously packing my bag, and I tried to pass him in the doorway to get to the hall closet. But his frame blocked me, again.

He just stood there casually, and said "Greg, you have pretty big hands, right? I remember how you always needed a special baseball glove."

I nodded yes. And in fact, I did have fairly large hands. It was one of the qualities that made me an outstanding third baseman. 

"Do you want to see how those hands measure up now Greg?"

I was flustered and tried to move past him, but he wasn't budging. "Colin, yes I noticed your neck. But I don't have time for this now. I have to get on the road before dark."

He reached his hands down to mine, again grabbing both my wrists. I knew fighting him was futile, but I tried anyway. Without even trying, he moved my hands up, and held them right at his collar bone. "Go ahead Greg. See how those mitts of yours measure up now." He stretched his neck up for effect.

I was still a few inches taller than Colin. Emboldened by that advantage, I reached a hand over and placed it on his neck. I squeezed a bit, and honestly, it felt like steel, there was no give at all. And then Colin moved my other hand up. "Try with both hands now Greg. Tighter." And with both my hands on his neck, I realized they did not fit. I tried to squeeze, but it was like squeezing a fire hydrant. He just kept saying "Try tighter Greg," as I failed to make even a dent in the thick muscle he had seemingly willed to grow.

His neck was incredibly massive, and powerful enough to tire my hands. I just pulled away and said "Okay, you made your point Colin." And he let me pass into the hallway.

Making no further mention of his thick neck or my newly powerless hands, Colin just waved the notebook and said "I'll stick to the plan Greg. Seems to be working, no?" 

"Yes it is Colin. I will see you in a few days." I paused and looked at him, proud of his accomplishments. "We are almost halfway to the 90 day point Colin."

Colin just laughed hard, clapped a hand onto my shoulder, and ushered me out of the room. "Yeah, I might need 90 days Greg." I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, but soon I was in my car, on my way to my grandparents.

"See you on Day 48 Greg," his words to me as I pulled away, kept ringing in my head.

• Upvote 6