Another Nerd Story (3 Parts)

sithspawn

I actually do have a third part written, but the problem is, it needs a continuation/conclusion. Unfortunately the ideas I have for it contain a lot of dialogue and not a lot of action/muscle growth. 

I’ve already got an ending in mind but, so far, it just seems like a boring lead up to it.

• Like 9

I am happy to know you are thinking about coming back to this story. Despite the usual focus the stories on this forum have, you have started a discussion that only a few writers here attempt. I think there is a curious audience here that would, with or without the muscle growth or sex, be curious to see this play out. Being the growth and size aficionados that we are, this story raises a curious question for each of us: what would we do give the choice while aware of the ramifications? I’m intrigued to find out. Maybe a poll before posting is in order?

1 hour ago, sithspawn said:

A poll asking what?

Sorry for not being clear, a poll asking the question, in light of the very logical Ollie’s behavior when given the ability of absolute personal power, would you take the nanites and fulfill your wildest personal dreams having witnessed the repercussions?
You cleverly established the character of Ollie to have a clear and logical moral compass. You used the word ‘reprobate’ to describe the behavior of his assailant (I won’t lie, I had to look it up). So if Ollie could rapidly digress into committing basically murder, what might any of us become?  
Does absolute power corrupt absolutely? Hence the poll

Ok, screw it.  I know it's been 3 years since the last part but I thought I might as well post this rather than leaving it on my computer.  Not sure how long it'll be until the next part so don't hold your breath 😜

Chapter 3

I held the tablet between my thumb and forefinger, turning it from side to side as I looked at it closely.  Such an innocent little thing that could potentially turn someone into a god, but Ollie had told me it was genetically encoded to the two of us so that meant that, if I wanted to, I could be that god.  I would be able to feel that power that he must have felt when he grew bigger, and feel what it was like to be able to lift or crush anything with ease.  To be free from pain and unable to be injured, something I would really like to test out right now.  It would be so simple, just pop it in my mouth and probably feel the rush of power that came from such a small item.

I was hesitant though.  That power could be intoxicating and easy to misuse, but I felt that it was something I had to do.  I had to make sure that there were no dramatic changes.  People would notice those and that was the last thing I wanted right now.  Everything had to be subtle so there were no questions asked or anything too miraculous happening, so my first course of action would have to be to figure out how to communicate with them.  Ollie had seemed to just think about what he wanted them to do and they obeyed so hopefully that would be the same for me.  It probably wasn’t the best time to try it out but I was starting to feel desperate and when I looked up from the tablet I knew it had to be now.

I popped it into my mouth and instantly felt it dissolve on my tongue.  There was a slight metallic taste to it, almost like the taste of blood you get when you put your finger in your mouth after you cut it.  After that I could feel a tingling sensation around my cheeks and jaw which rapidly spread down my neck and throughout my entire body.  I tried to command them not to change anything but at the same time the sensation felt so good as they carried on.  I felt the skin on my arms tingle more, like goose bumps prickling along my limbs and then the same feeling went down my torso, causing me to shudder.  I lifted my top to look down at my abs and I had to smile at the way Ollie’s amazing nanites did their work.  Even though it might cause questions to be asked later I just figured I’d have to keep everything covered up until the time was right for people to see.

All the while they were working I could feel them bonding with my nervous system to the point where I could feel the lines of communication opening up to them.  I had them stop the changes they were making before they went too far, but they had already started to make me feel better.  I pulled up my sleeve to look at my forearm and was amazed at what I saw.  The changes they’d made weren’t impossible to achieve naturally but the speed with which they’d been made was incredible.  It was time to go to work now though.  I knew exactly what I needed them to do so after a little trial and error I was able to communicate with them to program in what needed to be done, almost like a hive mind talking to the drones.  Whoa, where did that bit of information come from?  Were these things making me smarter as well?  That could be a big help right now.

I looked up again at the bed in front of me; at Ollie’s prone body lying there, semi naked with tubes and wires attached all over the place.  He’d been in the coma for over a week and when I’d asked the doctors when they thought he might wake up they just said that was up to him, but there was the possibility he never would.  I couldn’t accept that.  I knew his nanites could help him pull through this but I also knew they could be too effective.  I had to figure out the way to control them to make his recovery seem believable, even if it may still be slightly miraculous.

I had to program them to be invisible during tests and destroy themselves if they left his body in blood samples; most of all though I had to make them obey only me.  That sounded mean to Ollie but I knew that if I were in his position I’d want to heal as fast as possible, and with these nanites that could happen in a matter of minutes rather than weeks so that couldn’t be allowed.  I set them with a code phrase that only I could say to transfer the control back over to him, but in the meantime I wouldn’t even tell him they were still in his body.  If I did I knew he’d only argue with me until I gave in and let him reactivate them, but then that would cause more problems than we all needed right now.  I’d convinced myself that this was the best way to do it; even if he hated me afterwards at least he’d be safe and protected.

The nurse came in to tell me visiting hours were almost over and when she left it was time to let go of the nanites.  The sensation of them disconnecting from me was almost as weird as when they’d attached themselves and by the time they’d formed another little tablet on my tongue I felt slightly empty, if that’s the right word.  Taking it out gently I took one last look at the little miracle pill that would heal Ollie before squeezing it past the breathing tube and into his mouth.  I whispered good luck to the little guys before giving Ollie a peck on the forehead and leaving the room.

On the drive home I tried not to think about what had happened just over a week ago but as I pulled into our street my headlights flashed across the burnt out shell of Ollie’s house.  When I pulled up on our driveway I just sat in the car with the engine off, trying to hold back the tears.  I knew I’d given Ollie a guaranteed chance at survival but was that the right thing to do?   He’d lost everything in the fire, including his parents.  He didn’t even know what had happened yet as he’d been unconscious ever since I pulled him out of the burning house.

I kept having flashbacks about what happened that night.  Hearing the car screech away up the road and looking out the window to see the orange glow coming from a few doors down.  I knew instinctively that it was Ollie’s house that had been targeted and my first thought was I needed to get him out of there.  I remembered climbing the ladder I’d grabbed with a neighbour, smashing his window and tumbling into his room.  I’d run straight at the flames to slam his door, giving me some precious time to find him, before finally throwing his unconscious body over my shoulders and stumbling down the ladder.  When we’d almost reached the ground I remember falling the rest of the way but cradling his body to try to minimise the impact on him.

The hardest part was lying on the floor and wanting to crawl to him, to breathe life into him again but I’d taken in too much smoke and could barely breathe through my own coughing.  Thankfully another neighbour started giving him CPR as I watched on helplessly while other neighbours were trying to break into the house to save his parents.  The flames were so intense though that they were just beaten back, and by the time the emergency crews arrived the house was an inferno that no one could survive.

I shook the memory from my mind and went into my house.  My mom was out again at some dance class or the gym or something, I’d lost track of where she kept going.  She seemed to be trying to occupy herself with anything she could find to do to take her mind off losing her best friend and I couldn’t blame her.  We were so used to Janice, Ollie’s mom, coming by some days or even just waving as she passed by, that it was like a massive hole in our lives now that she was gone.  I had no idea how Ollie would feel when he found out.  He was never the most affectionate guy towards his parents but they’d been a massive part of his life for so long that he’d have to feel some sense of loss when the news gets broken to him.

I tried to put that out of my mind as I climbed the stairs to my room.  Once in there I stripped off my shirt and looked at myself in the mirror to confirm what I already knew.  The nanites had definitely done some amazing work as the burns on my torso and arms looked like they were almost healed now, and all the cuts from the glass and bruises from the fall had also vanished.  My breathing had felt easier ever since I’d left the hospital room so I knew they’d also helped to repair my lungs.  Hopefully now I could go back to training at the gym as I’d had to take it easy since the fire.  I needed to work out though as that was the one thing that really took my mind off my problems so getting back to it would be a godsend.

It took a couple of days but Ollie soon came off the ventilator and was able to breathe by himself.  He’d been transferred out of intensive care and into his own room and, even though he was still unconscious, I could tell he was on the mend. He just looked like he was sleeping when I went to visit him, which I had done every afternoon and evening since he’d been there.  It was during one of the afternoon visits when Ollie started to come around, although he didn’t fully wake up.  The doctors and nurses ushered me out of the room so they could check him over and when they were done the doctor told me he was still too groggy to know what was going on but he looked like he was over the worst.

His chest x-rays from the day before had shown no lasting damage to his lungs and his burns had healed faster than they expected.  Thankfully they put it down to their initial assessment of him being more pessimistic than it actually should have been, even though I knew that it was down to the nanites doing their job.  Since the fire I had been off college due to my injuries but as they were now mostly healed I had to make up for lost time.  I had to skip my usual afternoon visit to see Ollie but I made sure my mom went so at least he wouldn’t be alone.  After class I decided to go to the gym for the first time since the fire but I went pretty easy and kept it short, mostly so I would still have time to visit Ollie later on.

When I got home my mom told me that Ollie had woken up briefly while she was visiting and she was able to tell him a little bit about why he was there.  Over dinner she told me how she’d explained about his parents, the fire and me helping to pull him out of the house.  When I asked how he’d reacted she said he seemed like it didn’t really register with him at first but then he just seemed to sink into the bed and go back to sleep.  I was more eager than ever to see him now that I knew he might be awake so after dinner I rushed upstairs to take a shower.  I was already pulling my shoes off as I reached the top of the stairs and was just about to drop them on the floor as I stumbled into my room, flicking the light on as I went.

“Hello Thomas.”

“ARGH!!  Jesus Ollie!!  What the fuck!?”  I exclaimed as I turned to see Ollie sitting on the chair behind the door.

“What’s going on up there?”  My mom called out from downstairs.

“Uh...nothing, I just…dropped something on my foot.”  I called back, not taking my eyes off Ollie.

“Oh right, well be more careful in future.”

“I will.”

“And give Oliver my love when you see him.”

“Ok.”  I replied, closing the door.  I wanted to end the conversation as quickly as possible to find out why Ollie was now sitting in my room, dressed only in a hospital gown. 

“I should apologise for the intrusion.”  Ollie said, now he knew we had some privacy.

“Screw that!!  What the hell are you doing here?  You should be in the hospital.”  I replied, still shocked that he was actually here.

“We both know that isn’t true, don’t we Thomas?”

“What…uh…what do you mean?”  I stuttered, his lips turning into a small smile as I did so.

“Please don’t take me for a fool Thomas, we both know that my nanites have healed me faster than any medical intervention could.”  I was about to feign ignorance again but I knew I was dealing with someone smarter than I could ever be.

“How did you know?”  I sighed.

“When your mother explained what had transpired and the doctors detailed my initial injuries, I knew I should not have healed as much as I have already, therefore the only logical conclusion was that my nanites had sped up the process.”  Another smile crept across his face again.  “I was also able to jump out of a fourth floor window and land on my feet without sustaining injury so that confirmed my suspicions.”

“I knew you were smart, I didn’t think you were crazy.”  I countered.  “Why did you leave though?  They’re going to be looking for you everywhere.”  Before he could answer I heard my mom calling from downstairs so I quickly dashed out to the landing to make sure she didn’t come up to my room.

“We just got a call from the hospital to say Oliver’s gone missing so we’re going to head down there now.  Do you want to go out and look for him?  You probably know more places he might go than we would.”   Mom said.

“Uh…sure…you guys go and I’ll call around a few places after I’ve had a shower.”  I stayed there until I saw them leave and when the coast was clear I darted back into my room.  Ollie was still where I left him with a slight smile on his face.

“You seem quite adept at lying to your mother.”  He said.

“Yeah well, you haven’t made it easy to tell her the truth lately have you?  What’re you doing here anyway?”

“My nanites are not responding to my commands as they should.  They seem to be protecting me from harm yet denying me access to their other functions.”

“So why come to me?  They’re your nanites aren’t they?  Are you sure you’re doing it right?” 

“I came to you because I believe you may have altered the synaptic response triggers so they provide only baseline functions. I need to know what you did to them before administering them to me so I may re-establish control of them.”

“I…what?  No, I…I didn’t do anything to them.”  I lied.  “I just…brought the pill you gave me into the hospital and popped it in your mouth, that’s all, I swear.”

“Thomas, please don’t try to deceive me, it’s insulting.”  I was just about to protest when he cut me off again.  “Before you endeavour to continue this futile attempt at deception I would like to make it perfectly clear that your body language and speech patterns are merely confirming my suspicions about your dishonesty, so let us end this charade and undo what has been done to my nanites so that they may return to their full functionality.”  Ollie didn’t sound as emotionless as he usually did; there was a slight hint of anger in his voice that I’d never heard before.

“Why do you even need control of them?  You gave them away, remember?  All they’re doing now is healing you and then you can get rid of them again.”

“JUST GIVE ME THE CONTROL BACK!!!”  Ollie screamed as he jumped up from the chair.  I had never seen him like this in all the years I’d known him.

“Whoa Ollie calm down…”

“NO!!!  I NEED THE STRENGTH BACK!! I NEED THE POWER!! I NEED TO MAKE THEM PAY…I need…”  He suddenly stopped and leaned back into the wall, sliding down it until he was slumped on the floor with tears streaming down his face.  “I could have saved them.”  He whimpered.  I walked over to sit down beside him, wrapping my arm around him as he buried his face into my chest and just cried.  The seemingly stoic Ollie was finally letting his emotions out. We sat like that for a few minutes with me stroking his hair and telling him it would be ok until he finally started to calm down.

“What did you mean you wanted to make them pay?”  I finally asked.  Ollie shifted away slightly so I could now turn to face him.

“Your mother said the police had apprehended the perpetrators responsible for the fire so I intended to pay them a visit and exact my revenge on them.”

“You mean kill them?”  I asked, shocked at Ollie’s confession.  He went quiet for a moment as if he was trying to decide what he was going to do.  “Did you mean you were going to kill them?”  I asked again.

“I…I don’t know…I just wanted to hurt them for what they did.”  He replied feebly.

“And would that help?”  I asked.  “Let’s just say that the nanites were working and you busted into the prison like the Terminator…”

“The Terminator?”

“It’s a film with Arnold…never mind.  The point is, you go in there like some unstoppable killing machine, seriously injuring or even killing the guards until you get to those guys and then what?  Sure there’s unimaginable things you could do to them but what would be the point?  It won’t bring your parents back or repair the damage to your house; you’ll still be in the same position as now, just with more blood on your hands.”

“But what do I do?  I just want to…I don’t even know…”

“You need to look at this rationally, you’ve always been a very logical guy so you should be able to see the variables of that course of action and determine the best conclusions OH MY GOD I’m starting to sound like you!!”  I suddenly started laughing while Ollie looked on bewildered.  “I’m starting to wonder if those nanites made me smarter while they were in my body.”

“It is possible, although you were never particularly stupid in the first place.”

“Thanks…I think.  Anyway, the point is, since you showed me these nanites you’ve started to have more feelings and passion bursting out of you than before and now that’s just been compounded by grief.  This is all perfectly natural and will get better in time; all you can do is ride it out.  You can’t just let those emotions take you over and make you do stupid things, especially with those nanites running around your body.”

“They would actually be swimming as the body is made up of…”

“Alright, shut up genius.”  I stood up and started walking back towards the bed.

“Thomas…why did you visit me in hospital so much?”  Ollie asked, taking me by surprise.  “Your mother said you had been by my bedside at every opportunity…why?”

“I just…I didn’t want you to be alone in there, and I guess…I felt kinda guilty about you being in there in the first place.”

“Why would you feel guilty?  If it wasn’t for you pulling me out of that inferno I would not have survived to even be in the hospital.  You should not feel guilty at all; I should be indebted to you for saving my life.”

“Yeah, but you said yourself, you could’ve saved your parents if you’d had the nanites but you gave them up because of me.”  I sat on the edge of the bed, staring at the floor. 

“I relinquished them because you showed me that the power they bestowed was corrupting me in ways that I had never comprehended.  I actually anticipated that you would take the nanites yourself and would use them in a more altruistic manner.”

“So it was another experiment?”

“No…I…”  He looked guiltily at the floor and I could see a tear trickle down his cheek.

“Hey, I’m not mad.  In fact I’d be surprised if you didn’t study the results as that’s who you are. You’re a born scientist Ollie so you’re always looking at the outcomes of everything.”  I reassured him.

“I…thank you Thomas.  I expected you to be angry with me but I should have known you would prove to be as unpredictable as ever.”  I wasn’t sure if I should be insulted or not but he actually smiled after he said that.  “I was sure that curiosity would get the better of you and you would take them but you never did.  If you had taken them before you saved me you would not have been injured but you even refused to use them after the fire to heal yourself, yet when you knew they could help me you didn’t hesitate.”

“I’m sure you would’ve done the same for me.”

“I…maybe, I don’t know.  I’m beginning to suspect that I would have merely treated it as an experiment to see how they would repair your injuries.”

“Well they did actually heal me a bit, even in the short time I had them in me, see?”  I lifted my shirt to show him my stomach and noticed a slight intake of breath as I did.

“Did they also enhance you musculature during their brief occupancy of your body?”  He asked, still staring at my abs.

“Uh no, this is all just from hard work and a good diet.”  I proclaimed proudly.  I dropped the shirt back down again and noticed a little disappointment cross over his face.  “Ok, I’ve got an idea.”  I started to rummage in the back of my closet and found some of my old clothes that I’d grown out of.  “I’m gonna take a shower meanwhile you, get yourself cleaned up and put these on.  You can help yourself to some food downstairs as well if you want.”

“Are we going out somewhere?”  Ollie asked, looking at the clothes I passed to him.

“You’ll see, just hurry up before my parents get back.”

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

I love where this story is going. Thomas helping Oliver to be emotionally available slowly while having their relationship progressed in between is just satisfying to read. looking forward to 4th chapter.

Thank you! This is a really good story and it would be fantastic if you would continue. Love the muscle growth but also the relatiohips between Thomas and Ollie. So much more to come…can just feel it. Pretty please!

• Like 1