Morning Workout

theredder

Part 1

I'd started working out in the morning before work as a way of fitting it into my schedule with traffic and long grueling hours at the office. It was pretty nice too, the gym was mostly empty and those who were there were clearly focused on getting their workout in and done before also heading to work. No hanging around, scrolling on their phone, or wasting time. Everyone was pretty fit and attractive too, some bigger than others but almost all strong young professionals. Even when it came time to actually head to work, no one paid you any attention, focused on getting showered, shaved, and into their suits for work.

After a few months I got to know the morning regulars, their schedules, their workout routines. I knew who I'd end up sharing equipment with or bump into on their way out of the locker rooms. I even had a bathroom buddy. Always finishing our workouts and getting ready around the same time. It was a nice pairing too as he was one of the bigger and more attractive guys I'd regularly see at the gym. I'd get harmless sneak peaks as he showered and changed, not thinking much of it until one day he choose the shower stall across from mine.

The showers were set up in their own long hallway of about a dozen shower heads on each wall, with walled partitions between each head creating a set of privacy stalls. Not that it mattered, it was pretty easy to see anyone in the stall across or diagonal from you, though there was never more than 1 or 2 people showering this early. We'd always maintained our own space until now, like some silent agreement but now he was up close it was making it hard not to stare. Before long though he caught me checking him out but to my surprise he just straightened out his arm, flexing his tricep as if to test if I was really looking. I couldn't look away and it was all he needed to fully face me, running his hands up and down his soapy muscled frame. I didn't know what to do, so I just stood there and stared.

image.gif.aaa8f1ea88f33a491b893a048f3390c4.gif
Part 2
I tried to rationalize it, telling myself that I was just being a weirdo and reading too much into it, he was just showering same as me...while making eye contact...He didn't make a move, just continuing on as if this was normal making me wonder if maybe I really was just imagining things. Before I could work up the courage to say anything though, he'd rinsed off and left. Leaving me to soak in my embarrassment and flushed cheeks. I didn't dare follow now, opting to shower just a little bit longer until I could be sure the coast was clear.

Once the water had run cold and I was sure he was gone, I snuck out to my locker. Thankfully it seemed as if he was gone though I still felt on edge as if he could jump out at any minute and challenge me for staring at him. Managing to make it out of the gym without incident I considered myself in the clear, hoping it was just a one time fluke and I'd be able to keep myself from getting into that kind of trouble again.

The next day I chose the shower stall at the far back of the hall hoping this would ensure we wouldn't end up across from each other again. Though without hesitation, as if looking for me, he made his way to the back shower across from me. Maybe he was flirting with me?! It became clear that he was when he started making more of a show out of it. Not bothering to seek any kind of privacy, soaping himself up, even bouncing his pecs right in front of me. He was enjoying himself but I still had no idea what I was supposed to do...or if this was some kind of invitation to his stall.

image.gif.2fc7dc32a45d878c1b25656f470ad835.gif

Part 3

My hesitation didn't seem to phase him as he continue to wash himself all the while flexing and showing off his incredible body. Though unlike last time, once he shut the water off and started towards his locker, I followed soon after, heart pounding with excitement. I didn't know what I was going to do or say but I knew this was an opportunity.

I started getting dressed on the other side of the locker wall from him, trying to build up the courage to ask him for his number. Panicking when I heard his locker slam shut, I hurried over, still half naked and holding my phone out like a lost puppy ready for a new contact. He seemed to know exactly what I wanted, snatching the phone out of my hand and starting to punch in his digits. "We should get drinks." He muttered casually, giving me a smile.

"Y-yeah" is all I could manage to squeak before he took the signal to turn and leave. I looked down at my phone at the string of numbers next to the name "Mason." I repeated it out loud to myself as if I would forget, completely lost in the idea that I might be going on a date with this man and not the usual flaky I hook up with and end up regretting.

• Like 21
  • Upvote 2

Part 4
Mason had the kind of confidence that told me he'd done this kind of thing before, or at the very least didn't care about what people thought. Still, it was a surprise. I knew guys would cruise at the gym but I'd never really experienced it myself. I definitely didn't think I'd stumble into it by accident! I was resolved to not mess this up and decided to hold off on texting him right away.

I ended up checking my phone constantly throughout the day like someone would if they were expecting a text, only just to confirm to myself that Masons contact did in fact exist in my phone. It wasn't until it was almost time for me to sign off at work that I started crafting an actual text. "Hey Mason, it's Jake from this morning." The text sitting in my phone for a while unsure if I should send it as is or add something before finally hitting send.

I didn't expect anything right away, so I was surprised when I got a reply almost immediately. "Afternoon buddy. I was wondering when you were going to text me. Listen, I just got off work so how about that drink?" Attached was a picture and my face felt warm as I looked at it. It was a selfie of him flexing his bicep in what looked like the parking lot of wherever he worked. It wasn't so weird given how we met but what got me was how he had so clearly clocked what I was about and was feeding into it.image.jpeg.b6696e2df5d99a73a25b99187a415e11.jpeg

• Like 10