Azerreza

2 hours ago, gentlemanbear said:

It absolutely floors me that the comments are nothing but praise when the writing is so badly broken, the grammar and syntax so awkward, stilted, and out-right broken, with malapropisms left and right, that calling it "pidgin" English would be a kindness. The author's language/writing skills in English are simply not sufficient to producing anything readable. Not telling the author and offering him editing and proofing help to make it better is nothing more nor less than coddling and perpetuating his ignorance. 

The emperor is naked and not one of you has the balls to say so.

You should all be ashamed.

You seem fun... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wild said:

Bud, we aren't looking for perfection. This isn't a competitive event. Half the stories here have people ripping out of their clothes, and about 3% have people that are way too into their suddenly buff dGlad ad. Sometimes both.

If you want perfection, feel free to buy a muscle growth book on Amazon.

Glad someone said it...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gentlemanbear said:

It absolutely floors me that the comments are nothing but praise when the writing is so badly broken, the grammar and syntax so awkward, stilted, and out-right broken, with malapropisms left and right, that calling it "pidgin" English would be a kindness. The author's language/writing skills in English are simply not sufficient to producing anything readable. Not telling the author and offering him editing and proofing help to make it better is nothing more nor less than coddling and perpetuating his ignorance. 

Okay, so I don't feel you're wrong in feeling that this isn't "up to snuff." (A phrase which I'm rapidly growing less and less fond of.)

However!

No one starts out perfect and the fact Azerreza put this on the forum at all shows a great deal of confidence, in my opinion.

Furthermore, man calling himself a gentleman would never, ever be as hideously rude as you are in this comment, sir. This story needs some serious work, yes, but that isn't a crime. This is something that ought to be brought up politely, and only if the person is willing to work with the writer to actually help them. They reserve the right to decline. There is more than just a fine line between constructive criticism and outright bashing - there is a gulf. You, my dear, are on the wrong side of that gulf. You're not a gentleman at all, but you sure come across about as kind as an ornery, vicious bear.

For what it's worth, it gladdens me to see you have such obvious enthusiasm, Azerreza. Keep on writing and improving at the craft. The only way is up, dude. If you want advice, my inbox is always open. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thanks all ! ^^

But he's right: my English is very very very bad and I have to be careful with that.

To be honest,  I'm often impatient to release a new story, but often too impatient because I rarely reread me and... I should, really.

I will try  to do it from now.

• Like 5

On 2/8/2021 at 1:16 PM, gentlemanbear said:

Perhaps not everyone has english as his native language. I think it is a great effort to wirte a long text in a different language and something to be proud of.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 6:16 AM, gentlemanbear said:

The purpose of this forum is to support one another in our muscle related endeavors. You have a right to your opinion but you do not need to be so rude. "Constructive criticism" rarely is constructive.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I suspect this uproar from the fragile of character arises from  those whose language skills are distinctly lacking as a means of defending their own ignorance. Looks to me like a few people are feeling 'attacked'.Great false dichotomy there, Wild. 

WTaF does this not being a "competitive" activity, or seeking "perfection" for that matter, have to do with the practically non-existent English language skills exhibited in this story?

"Perfection"? HA!

How about just basic grammar skills? This didn't even have the linguistic coherence or general level of skill of "Fun with Dick and Jane".

Those who are jumping in to beat on me for my post are encouraging people to massacre the language, to use "pidgin" English, at best. It's astounding, even horrific.

As for being a gentleman, gentlemen don't allow people to embarrass themselves this way, and the person who made that comment doesn't know the 

Funny how everyone has ignored the author's own response to my evaluation,

AND the fact that I offered to HELP him revise and correct this, to help transform this into something actually enjoyable for light reading in, you know,  like, English.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:16 AM, gentlemanbear said:

Although I agree with your premise, I gave up worrying about naive writing skills in this forum years ago.  The very fact that they are at least trying is encouraging and there actually are a few good authors in this genre.  Some of them old-timers, and some of them now dead, but there has always been a wide spectrum of skill.  I keep coming back watching for a new author worth following.  Someday.

I have to admit though that your comments were a bit harsh and will accomplish little to nothing.  Private communication to the author might help, but throwing chum to the sharks in the general audience just roils the waters and amplifies excuses to the author to NOT change his ways.

But your point about heaping praise without criticism is well taken.  Writing is a skill to be learned and you have to start somewhere.  But continual empty praise short circuits and stagnates the progress of an artist.

Yes, I'd like to throw word poop at some of the badly written stories here but it's just not worth the hassle.  I have contacted naive but promising authors privately in my poor attempt to help.  I don't know who's more arrogant, me for criticizing, or the authors for ignoring well intentioned advice.  But I gave up.  I'm 72 years old and I learned long ago that 90% of everything created by man is crap and less than 1% is gold.  The contents of this forum are no exception.😕

Even poop has its uses as fertilizer and as a pig wallow.😈  And sometimes I just like to wallow.😳