Mass after Mass: A Christmas Story (Part 4 + Final Chapter | 12/21/22)

SamuelBarbado

Sweet and hot. This was so different from anything else I've read here.  I loved the 'magical realism' that allowed the people of the parish to simply accept and encourage Padre Gio to grow huge at an impossible rate.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It took me awhile to get around to reading this story, but once I started I was hooked! The way the townspeople and the potential angel got involved with growing Padre Geo was amazing, and I loved the ending... you did it beautifully, and the surprise mass and mix of painful/horny growth spurts and seeing him bigger each time was so much fun! Looking forward to more, possibly the father (Domingo?) growing because someone else (Angelo?) loves him and prays to the saint

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

What a unique approach to a story!   The novena  of masses reminded me of a ghost story I heard when I was a child.

Many years ago I read a mystery /ghost story about a church of people in Spain who were saying 3 full masses on Christmas Eve as  a sign of devotion.  Unfortunately, the priest rushed the masses, under some prompting from the  altar server, who was possessed by a devil, leading him into temptation.  The altar boy kept reminding the priest of all the treats and good food that were waiting for him and the congregation once they finish saying the three masses.  The priest and the congregation rushed saying the masses, shortening some prayers and omitting others altogether.  This angered some supernatural forces, so that the rich foods turned to dust. and instead of achieving a state of grace, they all were doomed to be ghosts until they said 0ne million masses perfectly on Christmas Eve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorite stories from this country also is in the Mass of St Sylvestre by Nick Joaquin. St Sylvestre whose feast day is on Dec 31, last day of the year supposedly goes to the various cathedrals of the world to say the New Year's Mass in the presence of the departed souls of those cities and their patron saint. The story goes that a mortal who can witness and finish this Mass hidden to mortal eyes will achieve a thousand more years of life. One sorcerer attempted by grafting the eyes of a dead holy man and almost succeeded but was cursed instead by being turned to stone and being forced to attend the Mass every year at the stroke of midnight.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 10:01 AM, Mdlftr said:

What a unique approach to a story!   The novena  of masses reminded me of a ghost story I heard when I was a child.

Many years ago I read a mystery /ghost story about a church of people in Spain who were saying 3 full masses on Christmas Eve as  a sign of devotion.  Unfortunately, the priest rushed the masses, under some prompting from the  altar server, who was possessed by a devil, leading him into temptation.  The altar boy kept reminding the priest of all the treats and good food that were waiting for him and the congregation once they finish saying the three masses.  The priest and the congregation rushed saying the masses, shortening some prayers and omitting others altogether.  This angered some supernatural forces, so that the rich foods turned to dust. and instead of achieving a state of grace, they all were doomed to be ghosts until they said 0ne million masses perfectly on Christmas Eve.

When I was writing it, I never intended to have that kind of tone. I guess the setting just tend to demand it in writing. 

• Like 2