Deano, Again: A Muscle University Story (Deano Story 3)

muscleaddict

On 9/22/2021 at 3:50 AM, Wrestlejock646 said:

I already know this is going to be one (mostly) fun ride! Nothing better than counting the days til muscleaddict posts another chapter!!

On 9/22/2021 at 12:05 PM, biggymnast84 said:

Back to waiting in suspense!! You are such an amazing writer!! 

Thanks for the lovely words guys. Next one should be up at the weekend. 😜

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tboh86 said:

These are such great news @muscleaddict I think we were all waiting to know more about the comeback of the Pocket Rocket to MU! As usual the writing is so endearing with so many flashbacks and references to tour previous stories. Excellent work! Can't wait until Deano meets Woody again!!!

Thanks for the awesome feedback @tboh86 It's always fun throwing in little nods and references to past stories. I don't like giving stuff away but I think it's fairly obvious that that particular reunion will come at some point! 😁

• Like 2

Three

I don’t know how the fuck the lecturers expect us to do a normal day’s worth of lectures when the results of who’s been picked for the Future Pro’s Training Programme are being emailed out today. 

I can feel my phone practically burning in my pocket. My mobile data is on and my phone is on vibrate so if I get an email I’ll know. I’m just waiting for it to go off so I can be put out of my misery. 

I felt such a high when I hit the complete button on the online form last week. I think I did pretty well on the essay questions but I’ve been wrong about coursework and essays I think I’ve done well on in the past.

But still - I’m fairly confident. Okay - maybe more than fairly. I keep thinking about telling my dad. He wouldn’t give a shit about the programme. But even if he didn’t show it or say anything remotely positive or supportive, I know he’d be impressed when I tell him about the prospect of going to the States and guest posing at the McCarthy Classic. And getting to pose in front of THE Brad McCarthy - my first ever muscle crush and the bodybuilder on the muscle magazine I stole from dad’s gym as a teenager. 

Ashley and Mafra have applied too. Ash helped out with Mafra’s essay questions, which will backfire on him monumentally if he gets chosen over Ash. (I didn’t wanna say that to him though when he told us in Advanced Posing Practice.) 

Shaun seems okay about the whole thing now too. Since our chat last week I guess. Who knows - maybe it’ll put a fire up his arse to work a bit harder. Which he could definitely benefit from doing. (I wouldn’t obviously SAY that to him though.)

When my first lecture of the day has finished, I take my phone out straight away. Even though there’s no email notification sitting on my locked screen, I still go into my email app and refresh, just to make sure there’s not been a delay on my phone with it coming through (which sometimes happens). But when the refreshed screen doesn’t reveal any new emails, my heart drops.

My mind starts spiralling when I’m sitting in Business and Brand Management for Bodybuilders. Because what if I DON’T get picked for the Future Pro’s Training Programme? What if they go for Woody or Banksy instead? Or someone else I haven’t thought of.

Am I just setting myself up for a massive fall here? Thinking that I have a good chance of being chosen? What if my suspension last year works against me? What if they look at our records and I’m penalised because I had that one big fuck up in my first year that got me suspended? 

And just when I start thinking about the possibility of what WILL happen if both me and Woody get on the programme, I jump in my seat when Ash, who is sitting in the seat behind me, prods me in the back.

He’s giving me an excited wide eyed look and has this massive grin on his face. Fuck. Could this be what I think it is? My chest tightens. I sneakily get my phone out of my pocket under the table, hoping I don’t get caught by Johnny Hoxton. 

There’s no email notification. What the fuck? How can Ashley know but not me? Maybe we’re all getting individual emails. I refresh the screen and my heart skips a beat. Because there it is. An email from [email protected]. My chest expands as I sneakily check the email. My eyes scan down. Past the names of the three successful third-year applicants, I don’t recognise to the names of the three successful second years.

Eric Mafra

Ashley Mosaku

Dean Watkins

FUCK. I did it! I’m on the fucking programme! I turn around to a still grinning Ash, unable to stop from beaming back at him. 

I can barely concentrate for the rest of the lesson. The reality of what's happening sinks in. 

I’m going to be training with one of the lecturers (to be confirmed on Monday apparently) and I’m gonna get to fly to America to guest pose on stage at the McCarthy fucking Classic in Chicago, where I’ll see (and possibly meet!) the likes of Chris “Freaky Peaks” Jackson, Felix King and some of the other biggest muscle monsters in the industry.

Not only that, I get to go with two of my best mates here at Montgomery. And no Sebastian Wood. He either wasn’t picked or didn’t apply in the first place. Which most likely means he’ll be a shoo-in when they run the programme again next year (we apparently can’t do it twice).

The weird thing is, I know it would have been kind of awkward if Woody had gotten a spot too, having to go to America with him and all of that, but there’s a part of me that feels kind of bad that he didn’t get a place. I just know how gutted I would have been to have not seen my name on that list. 

And I’m not sure how he’ll feel when he sees MY name on the email that got circulated earlier with the names of the students picked. Maybe he and Henderson are in their dorm room talking about me right now. Slagging me off. Saying how I don’t deserve it. Maybe they slag me off all the time. Or maybe they hardly ever talk about me. I’ll probably never know. 

Shaun isn’t home when I get back to the dorm room. I’m sure he’s seen the email. I hope he’s okay about the whole thing. I know he’s seemed okay this past week, but maybe that will change now it’s been confirmed that his three best mates are on their way to one of the biggest bodybuilding shows on the planet.

Ash has already posted about it on Instagram. Loads of people have been congratulating him (half of them guys here who he doesn’t even speak to). I’m not gonna do that though. I can’t really be bothered to deal with that kind of attention. 

But there is someone I want to tell, and now I’m in the dorm room by myself, it feels like a good time. I don’t know why, but I’m always really embarrassed to talk to my dad when Shaun’s around. I fire up the contacts list on my phone and jump on my bed.

“Deano?!” Dad asks, with a tone of urgency, as if something’s wrong.

“All right, Dad?”

“Yes? What do you want?” he said in a short, sharp tone.

Fuck’s sake. He’s annoying me already. Maybe I shouldn’t have bothered phoning him.

“Charming!” I say, sarcastically

“Eh?” he says in a confused tone.

Jesus Christ. “I’ve got something to tell you!” I say, further regretting the whole thing.

There’s a weird pause. 

“Right,” he says, in a weird tone. Another awkward pause. I suddenly feel oddly nervous. What the fuck does my dad think I’m about to say? 

I tell him all about the programme and going to the McCarthy Classic. And then I braced myself for his response.

“Oh yeah?’ he says sarcastically. “And who the BLOODY hell is paying for that?!” he barks.

I shake my head to myself, failing to smirk. For FUCK’S sake, Dad. Why did I expect anything more?

“Is Shaun okay about the whole thing?” Mafra asks me on Monday morning. Me, him and Ash are walking through one of the Prince Hall corridors. We have an “induction” to the programme. Which will probably just involve sitting in a classroom doing a load of listening to the lecturers for an hour.

“Mmmm,” I tell Mafra. “He’s all right. I think.” I look over at Ash, who doesn’t seem fazed by the conversation.

I’m half telling the truth. Shaun said congrats to me when he got back home from the gym last Friday, which I thought was a good sign. But then he was a bit quiet for the rest of the night.

“He hasn’t said much about it,” I tell Eric.

That’s a lie. Shaun hasn’t said ANYTHING about the programme since then. Which I’m definitely not taking as a good sign. Maybe he just needs a bit of time to get used to the idea.

I didn’t really think about who else would be in this induction. So I’m a little taken aback when I find Adam Jug-Eared Lloyd bursting out of a tight white t-shirt with some kind of protein-based brand name printed on it sitting at the front of the room with Dave Walker, Mike Hancox and Johnny Hoxton (not exactly my favourite teacher and I’m convinced he hated me for most of the first year but he seems okay with me now).

Two third-year monsters (one of whom I definitely remember from last year’s end of year bodybuilding show) are already sitting together and talking quietly to each other. They seem to be eyeing the three of us up as we sit down.

“We’re just waiting for one more, lads,” Johnny Hoxton announces. when we’re all just sitting there with the minutes passing. All the time I’m trying not to stare at the recently earned pro bodybuilder and now teaching assistant of Dave Walker who’s currently bulging in a tight white t-shirt 

As the minutes pass without the final third-year student making an entrance, I can sense everyone, particularly the three lecturers, starting to get a bit impatient. Hancox keeps looking at his watch and seems to be scowling harder with every passing second. Which is why I can’t help smirking when that very final third-year student casually strolls in gulping from a protein shaker, either completely oblivious to the fact that he’s late and we’ve all been sitting here waiting for him, or just not giving a shit about it.

So I guess I’m not the only short-arsed pocket rocket in the programme. This guy looks slightly taller than me, but it can’t be by much. He’s definitely bigger than me though. He’s a right little tank, in fact. I can see that, even though he’s covered up by a black tracksuit. I can’t find anything nice to say about his brunette hair, which is neatly styled into a flat mohawk, though.

I notice the other two third-years exchanging sly smirks at his arrival, one of them rolling his eyes. Mike Hancox meanwhile is just glaring at the latecomer unimpressed. A slightly annoyed looking Johnny clears his throat, stands up and finally kicks off the induction.

He explains that each lecturer will take on two students (one second-year and one third-year), warns us how intense the training will be and reminds us that we’ll be spending three nights in Chicago for the McCarthy Classic at the beginning of March. 

And then he says something which causes a feeling of instant dread in the pit of my stomach. He wants all six students to introduce themselves to the group. For FUCK’S sake. I absolutely hate doing shit like this. I never know what to say without making myself look and sound like a complete knob.

The familiar-looking third-year monster (a biracial guy with a gap tooth who I have to admit isn’t completely unattractive) introduces himself as Keiran and his mate (a not so attractive and rather rough-looking lad with a shaved head who wouldn’t look out of place at my dad’s gym) introduces himself as Connell in a rather sexy Irish accent. Both of them are ridiculously confident while doing so. As is Ash (predictably). And then it’s my turn. Fuck.

“Erm. My name’s Deano,” I say. 

Why do I feel so nervous? There are only three people in this classroom I’m not formally acquainted with. I guess four if you count Adam Lloyd (whose direction I’m struggling to look in). “Umm. I’m like Ash - second year.”

There’s an awkward pause in the room. Everyone is still looking at me. Are they expecting more? Johnny finally speaks, thanking me and moves on to Mafra, leaving me with the feeling that that went fucking terribly.

As Mafra is introducing himself, I look over to find the short-arsed third-year with the mohawk not looking at Mafra but looking at ME. This weird, sort of ominous smirk on his face as he obnoxiously chews on gum. What the fuck? I immediately feel nervous. And kind of uncomfortable Why is he just looking at me like that?

And then it’s HIS turn to introduce himself. But unlike everyone else, he fucking STANDS UP to do so. I’m starting to get the impression that this guy might be a bit of a knob.

“All right, lads?” he says in a deep commanding voice that has a fairly strong Welsh accent, looking straight at me, Ash and Mafra. God, he’s confident. 

“I’m Ozzie. I’m from Cardiff.”

Ozzie? Did he just say his name was fucking Ozzie? What kind of twat name is that? 

And if that wasn’t enough, he now seems to be LISTING bodybuilding competitions he’s won. Including the (then) second-year category at the end of year bodybuilding show last summer. 

And now I’m suddenly having a flashback to being in the audience of that very show which I sadly missed out on qualifying for due to my suspension. And, just like I remembered Adam Lloyd from that very competition, I now remember this guy too. In fact, I can’t believe I forgot about him. Because he was the cockiest and loudest competitor on the stage. AND the most annoying.

As Ozzie (I just - I can’t with that name) starts telling us who his favourite bodybuilders are which NO ONE ASKED HIM TO DO I look over at Ash, who’s furrowing his eyebrows at Ozzie. Ash looks at me and pulls a face which tells me he’s forming a similar opinion of this guy as I am. I smirk back at him. 

It’s kind of interesting how this guy isn’t looking at the other third-years throughout this whole introduction. Not once. It’s almost like he’s making a point of NOT looking at them. I’m getting the sense that he doesn’t exactly get on with them.

When Johnny takes over the reins again I notice Hancox pulling a face and slowly shaking his head to himself. Ha! I bet he fucking HATES this Ozzie guy. 

I’m biting my lip and smirking when my eyes suddenly fall on Adam Lloyd. And now I’m panicking. Because not only is he looking directly at me, but he’s actually smirking back at me. And then he does this little thing where his eyes briefly and cheekily widen. 

I look away in a panic. Because I don’t know what else to do. I can’t look back at him. But I feel a heat rising in my chest. And my cheeks feel flushed. Because I’m pretty sure that me and Adam Lloyd just shared a little moment.

“So I’m guessing you lads are probably wondering which lecturer you’ll be training with?” Johnny says. I feel a pinch of excitement. At a guess, I’d say I’ve been put with Hancox. I’d be VERY surprised if I was training with Johnny Hoxton. I know someone back home in Brighton who once revealed he had a poster of Johnny on his bedroom wall who’d definitely be impressed if I did end up training with him. My stomach clenches. Why am I thinking about THAT person right now?

“So I’ll be taking on Keiran and Ashley,” Johnny announces. I look over at Ash. He seems pleased, but then he’s always liked Johnny. Most people do I guess. 

“Eric and Connell. You’ll be with Hancox.”

Okay - that’s a bit of a surprise.

“Which means Deano and Ozzie … you’ll be training with Walker.”

Ugh - why am I the one who gets lumped with that Ozzie guy? At least we won’t actually be training together. 

But I WILL be training with Walker. Which probably means I’ll also be training with his new teaching assistant. Who I can’t seem to make eye contact with right now. But whose eyes I can almost feel burning into me, as he sits there bulging out of his tight white protein branded t-shirt. With his tank-sized body. And his masculine, meathead-but-make-him-cute features. And those big jug ears. 

Jesus. Those fucking ears.

• Like 19

Slowly building with typical great MuscleAddict timing.  Sad that Deano didn't get the validation from his dad on his achievement.  And also, what's with Woody not placing?  Come to think of it, where is Woody?  Will Deano have a gloat when he finally sees Woody again?  In Chicago, someone in the know should tell Deano about the gay strip Boystown. I think he would be very popular there!  And what's gonna happen with Deano and this coy-grinned jug-eared very buff Adam?  MA please, we need the next chapter to give us answers to all of our questions!  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DennisFLL said:

Slowly building with typical great MuscleAddict timing.  Sad that Deano didn't get the validation from his dad on his achievement.  And also, what's with Woody not placing?  Come to think of it, where is Woody?  Will Deano have a gloat when he finally sees Woody again?  In Chicago, someone in the know should tell Deano about the gay strip Boystown. I think he would be very popular there!  And what's gonna happen with Deano and this coy-grinned jug-eared very buff Adam?  MA please, we need the next chapter to give us answers to all of our questions!  

And who knows - maybe Deano will actually have a conversation with Adam at some point? 🤪

• Like 4

Excellent writing as usual! Great tone, pace and it's fascinating 'grounding' Deano in these chapters - we 'knew' him but now there's more depth as well as more nuancing. Here's to the next chapter matie!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, muscleaddict said:

And who knows - maybe Deano will actually have a conversation with Adam at some point? 🤪

Hopefully, it’s more than a conversation.  Unless it’s a pillow conversation.  :)))

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Love having another slow-burn MU story to look forward to!  Love being in Deano's head.  It's like a buffet of horny, troubled, self-doubting but sincere delights.  He deserves to get even bigger (and get off even bigger) this year and it will be fun to watch.  🩲🚀

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Loved the last chapter... now our pocket rocket is getting insecure with all those stares! I bet he will have something going on with Adam or Ozzie. And where the hell is Woody??? Did he come late to MU for this term? The lack of his appearance is killing me!

• Like 2