Going Niche (Complete Story) [Bonus Material Added 8/29/23]

TQuintA

This is one of few series that I enjoyed so much that I checked for the next chapter everyday. 

Most authors struggle to describe the physical size of characters when the reach the point that they have no real world reference -- 400, 500, 600 pounds.  You expertly avoiding giving us measurement other than penis size.  Yet, each of the main characters was described in such a way that they were distinct and sexy for their own reasons.  Excellent work.

• Like 2

I always appreciate you taking the time to talk about the writing process because it is always interesting to see where the ideas came from, how they progressed, how they changed, and how they all came together for an amazing story.  I was so close to commenting about Chekhov earlier haha!

Oddly enough, I loved how we never learned the Gavins' song.  I kept wanting to apply songs I knew, but by never revealing the song, it gave a timeless quality to the story, much like Romeo and Juliet.

I appreciate your honesty in not wanting to be too dark.  This seemed like the most dystopian story of yours on this forum, so deciding on how much angst and horror to apply was a balancing act, I'm sure, and you did not have to go "Tell-Tale Heart" or "The Raven" mad to express the darkness.  (Although, "nevermore" did come to my mind when Nile & his crew were undergoing the "lifting, fucking, eating, medicating" routine.  I really loved the emotional complexity of that repetition!)

I hope Nile gets to read countless books in his retirement!  Some Shakespeare here, some Encyclopaedia Brittanica there, maybe even something from the incomparable Miles Uhler?  😀

Most importantly, I continue to hope for good health.  I know you were experiencing something really scary, and it deeply affected your writing process, maybe even in an existential kind of way.  I am so happy you were able to complete your story, but I am happier to know that you are still here to inspire us because your health will ALWAYS be more important than the art you make!  I know I'm not alone in saying that if you had had to delay publishing further parts because of your health, I would have been perfectly okay with it, and I would have been glad to wait, just like how Gavin R. waited for Gavin P. to persist toward his complete fifty.

As always, TQuintA, thank you for sharing your art with us, and thank you for being you.

• Like 7

A tour de force (as usual!) Thanks for the background. And I was plenty happy for the gun element to be a dig, not forehalloweening, or whatever the technical term is! 

• Like 1

I can only hope our collective concern and appreciation for our favorite author transforms what it is that ails you to radiant health and happiness. It’s ridiculously Pollyanna of me but your  writings, at least those which you have shared here have brought so much to your readers. I can only wish the love we feel transforms into healing energy. 

and btw, Niles is very much real. I found myself hearing his voice in my head reading each chapter and perhaps a few exchanges that were off script. 

• Like 2

What I continue to be impressed by, TQuintA, is your versatility in your writing. 

You've set stories in the business world, the general non-specific modern day, and now, in a high end bordello.  Each of those settings showcased unique and compelling characters.

I am continually entertained and moved by your stories.  You have the patience and the skill, to develop a situation and fully realize the characters, all while maintaining a high sense of humor and lightness underneath it all.  That is the result of your talent and all the prep work and rewriting you do.

Thank you again "for all you do"!

Mdlftr

• Like 3

On 8/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, TQuintA said:

I also knew many of my readers would be familiar with the trope of Chekhov’s gun, and I wanted to fuck with their minds a little.

And you didn’t even buy dinner first. ☹️

• Haha 2

On 8/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, TQuintA said:

I also introduced the fact that Tony had a gun to be an annoyance to my readers.  Yes, I was trying to annoy you, and I know from some readers’ DMs that I succeeded with some of you.  I kept teasing the readers with gunplay or even armed revolution, planning never to—pun intended—pull the trigger.  I also knew many of my readers would be familiar with the trope of Chekhov’s gun, and I wanted to fuck with their minds a little.   

The trope comes from this writing rule from Chekhov: “If in the first act, you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise, don’t put it there.”

[aka Foreshadowing...Dunt dunt DAHHH!]

https://collider.com/chekhovs-gun-meaning-explained/#:~:text=That style involves the trope,'t put it there.” 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@TQuintA

Do you know how much fun it is to re-read this story? It's just really cool to dive into this world again, maybe even pick up some things you wouldn't have noticed the first time around. 

Characters? Deep yet sexy as heck. Plot? Straightforward yet winding with some twists and turns.

There's even some great heart-stuff (I am a sucker for a nice description a hunk pushing his big, red bloodpump. Thanks again for these gems.) 

All in all, I really love this story and it pushes me to better my own writing. 💪❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1