Colin's Determination, Part 11

cropsey23

Coach Conway drove me, Colin and Marcus to the house on Pearson Street. When we pulled up, Colin had bounded of the car before it even came to a stop. I followed him right up onto the steps of the dilapidated house, one that I had recognized as the old football player's house.

The house was indeed boarded up. There was a steel external storm door, and it was locked. Coach Conway came up behind us and said "I called the football office and asked them to send the keys over." Colin looked at me and just smiled. I was prepared for him to just pull the door off the hinges, but he stepped back instead, put a hand on my shoulder, and gently pushed me toward it. I was resisting at first, but feeling his hand on me, I knew Colin had a point to make.

I was now standing right in front of a heavy, locked steel storm door. I looked at Colin and somehow just knew I could do this. He put his heavy hand onto the back of my neck, and said "Hands at 10 and 2 Greg. Marcus, are you watching this?" I glanced over and sure enough, Marcus was riveted.

Colin just leaned in a bit closer to whisper, "Tighten everything up brother. Glutes, quads, your core." And with each word, I felt the power of his hand on me. I looked at Colin's enormous biceps, and started to think "Well this would be easy for you Colin." He smiled, and tapped a finger on my own swollen bicep, and said "I know you can. Now tighten your lats, breath, and remove the door." 

I felt the steel grill in my hands and almost thought I would fail to make the door yield. But I did as Colin directed, and with a slow, steady power surge, started to feel the door giving way. The metal, inside the wood frame, started to creak and groan; almost imperceptibly at first, but it got louder, and more resolute. My lats were flared out wide, and I could hear Marcus say "If Colin says you can do it, Greg, YOU CAN DO IT." My entire body was tensed, engaged in a struggle with this door, one that I was winning. I heard a loud creak, and then a crack, and when I focused, I could see I had the door 3/4 extracted from the frame, my grip still tight. With a last surge of adrenaline, I pulled the door completely off and hoisted it up over my head. I turned and tossed it into the front yard, triumphant.

I looked at Colin for approval and he was beaming from ear to ear. Just standing there, his huge arms crossed, and he let me savor my victory. "I knew you could do that Greg." I glanced over at Marcus who seemed captivated by Colin, in spite of the feat of strength I had just displayed.

Just then, Coach Conway stepped forward and said "Well there's still the matter of the interior door, and that looks like solid steel. We will have to wait for the keys to be delivered." Much to my surprise, Colin agreed.

While we waited, Colin and I talked about Marcus' training program. Colin planned to have Marcus on an intense regimen of heavy weights at low reps one week, alternated by easy weights for high reps. The plan also called for a massive increase in Marcus' caloric intake, scaling up to 5,000 calories a day by week 4. I looked at Marcus and couldn't conceive of him processing all that food, much less paying for it. Marcus sensed my concern and said "I'll eat whatever Colin tells me to. I just have to convince my dad to pay for it. Last time I asked for money for athletic equipment, he just ridiculed me, and said something about throwing his money away." I recalled that Marcus' father was a former college football player. Now he was an insanely wealthy real estate developer who still raced in triathalons. I can imagine that Marcus was struggling to live up to his father's lofty expectations.  Just as I was about to start discussing my concerns with Colin, a Ford F150 pick up truck pulled into the driveway.

I noticed the driver right away. It was Terence, the fullback from the football team. He stepped onto the driveway, and somehow, the truck looked small next to him. Terence was about 6 1, and probably close to 300lbs. At first glance, he looked overweight, but an athlete's eye can see he was a walking wall of muscle. He barked at Coach Conway "You needed the keys to our old house?"

Colin, standing at the top of the steps with his arms crossed, just said, "Yes, this is going to be the new baseball house. Thanks for driving over, you can just toss the keys to me."

Terence walked slowly up the stairs, sizing up Colin, and not willing to be dismissed so quickly. Side by side, I could see that Terence had the overall advantage, just by pure mass and density. He wasn't going to give those keys up easily, I could tell. Colin told Terence about his plans for the house, and the baseball team. He even smiled and told Terence "You can all come visit once we get settled."

Terence scoffed at that notion. "The baseball boys come to us, not the other way around." He looked over and his eye caught the the destroyed door frame. "How did that happen?"

Colin just nodded over to me and said "My brother popped it off."

By now, Terence was standing square in front of the door, his own sizable arms crossed. He just chuckled and said "I'm supposed to believe that?"

Colin approached him, almost eye to eye at this point. "Just give me the keys Terence," he said with an intensity that gave me a chill. I also had a flashback to my own key experience with Colin.

Colin was out of patience this time, and no longer willing to play a cat-and-mouse game. He just reached over and put his hand around Terence's wrist.

"Are you seriously grabbing me kid? I'll destroy you." Terence said, with a growing fury. I could see his bicep swell up, but he wasn't able to lift the arm that Colin had restrained. They were chest to chest now, and Colin slowly raised Terence's arm. The look on Terence's face was one of fury but also stunned astonishment. Colin said, "Tell me what' going through your head right now Terence."

Terence just gasped a bit, his arm still trying to resist. "How... how can you possibly be stronger than me? How the fuck is this happening?" I almost felt sorry for Terence. His closed palm was now parallel to the ground, and with one last grip from Colin, opened to reveal the keys. I leaned in quickly to grab them. But Colin didn't let Terence go. He had him pressed right into the steel door, unable to move or even breath.

Just then, another car pulled up, and out got Brendan, Jeremy and Jackson, who was moving with great ease, despite the 75lb weight vest he was still wearing. They saw Terence backed up to the door and walked up the steps silently.

"Hey boys," Colin said. "We have a visitor who wants to show us the new house."

Jackson walked up behind Colin, almost like a loyal golden retriever. Colin's two hands were now above Terence's shoulders, right on the steel door, and keeping Terence immobile. He angled around to look at Jackson. Without exchanging a word, Jackson placed his two hands above Colin's.  

He looked directly at Terence and said, "Oh sorry you came all the way over here, we didn't need those keys anyway." And with that, Colin and Jackson just started to press, in unison, against both Terence and the steel door. At first nothing happened, but then the tell-tale creaking of steel started. Colin and Jackson remained tensed up as the door started to give way, slowly. The first pop was of the top hinge, inside the house, and it sounded like a gunshot. The rest of the hinges came off, and after about two very intense minutes, the steel door caved in with a massive thud.

Jackson brushed past a dazed Terence, the first one into the house like a fearless sentry. In the dust of the fallen door, and the odd light, he looked....even bigger, and wider than earlier that day. And despite the exertion, neither he nor Colin were out of breath.

Jackson finally spoke, in a bit of a mindless monotone, "All clear in here Colin."

Colin gave Terence a friendly slap on the back and said "You can visit after we get settled in. NOW LEAVE." And Terence ran off the porch and drove away.

Marcus was astounded, and walked up to Colin. "That was amazing. Will I ever be able to do something like that?"

Colin smiled and said, "Just follow my plan Marcus," and with that he ushered Marcus into the house.

Then Colin said "Oh and one more thing Marcus. I'll need your father's phone number."

• Upvote 10

Thanks for continuing this story.  I'm a little fuzzy on what happened with Terence — he was trapped between the door and Colin's body?  Jackson reaching around Colin: Jackson, Colin, Terence, door?  Did Colin let go of Terence's arm?  Pushing on the door with his arms and on Terence with his chest?

Thanks for continuing this story.  I'm a little fuzzy on what happened with Terence — he was trapped between the door and Colin's body?  Jackson reaching around Colin: Jackson, Colin, Terence, door?  Did Colin let go of Terence's arm?  Pushing on the door with his arms and on Terence with his chest?

Colin released Terence's arm, and had him pinned to the door. Jackson came behind Colin to help push the door open. So yes, Jackson, Colin, immobilized Terence, creaking door slowly yielding.....

So, totally not meaning to look a gift horse in the mouth - are you planning to continue this story? 

Yes I am. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...