Deano's Summer: A Muscle University Story

muscleaddict

12 hours ago, WrestlejockCT said:

I kind of love the fact I'm rooting for the twat-faced pocket rocket to find some happiness in his life, something I never expected to do when reading Muscle University.

You are spot-on with your comment.  Our friend muscleaddict is doing something remarkable here:  taking the Deano we thought we knew (and darn near despised) and showing us a whole different side of him, “simply” by taking a different point of view.  What a lesson for real life. From distasteful villain to someone we care about.  The insights into Deano, his family, and so much more make this probably the best work I’ve read on this website.

• Like 7

I couldn’t agree more.  Because of MA’s incredible, thoughtful writing, we have an important life lesson.  We should never judge people because of how we perceive them, we might not know the turmoils and struggles that they are facing in their own lives. It’s been said that in many cases people who act like bullies are feeling bullied by someone else.  So often we do not let our feelings of inadequacy show or be expressed.  Thank you MA. 

• Like 5

Chapter 8

"I close down the Instagram app, throw my phone down the bed, roll on my side and close my eyes. I'll think of something I can actually confess to Ryan later."

Wow. Just...wow.  The English people's alleged 'gift for understatement' is on display in that sentence, and in the whole preceding episode. 

What subtle, masterful writing, that you are able to express such complicated, freighted, highly emotional scenes in descriptions of silence, pauses, grimaces and  rolling a tongue around the inside of one's cheek.  Amazing.  I feel calm in the middle of the emotional storm that is Deano's inner world.

Thank you.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Lefty said:

We should never judge people because of how we perceive them, we might not know the turmoils and struggles that they are facing in their own lives. It’s been said that in many cases people who act like bullies are feeling bullied by someone else.  So often we do not let our feelings of inadequacy show or be expressed.  Thank you MA. 

This reminds me of a powerful video all employees in our health club/fitness company are required to watch and watch again as we prepare to reopen post-covid19.  We didn't create the video, but the message is universal.  In our current world, empathy has never been more needed nor in shorter supply.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, muscleaddict said:

And all of THAT was going on under his clothes. 

The thing we love about this future 212 champ is that he has no idea how hot he is.  Sure, he lights up when his dudes cop an upper arm feel or brush their fingers up and down his washboard, but he still underestimates how his serious-beef appeal tightens the trousers of other muscle-loving men.  And getting shot down by Woody, who, if not for Luke, would gladly have ravaged him in a marathon mutual appreciation sweat-fest, has only made him more tentative and insecure than he was.  That's what makes the sexual tension here so thick and the promise of him finally getting to have his (meat) cake and share it (with Ryan or anyone else) so compelling.  All the tension this little heartbreaker is carrying in his thick traps, wide glutes, broad back and puffy chest has to lead to a hell of a release one day!

• Like 5

On 6/18/2020 at 10:15 PM, silverfox said:

I love that we get to know what formed Deano -  the way you depict his  strong feelings, leaves me craving for more on him as a character. 

Also his relationship with his mum intrigues me  enormously  - i think coming to terms with one parents is always a big step towards maturity, my fingers are crossed that Deano finds a way to forgive her and maybe reconnect with her. He being her favorite as a child would make her the perfect confidant. I also ship the fact that she uses Dean and not Deano - showing that he has a special meaning for her. In case i haven‘t said it : your story continues to give me Life 👌🏼👏🏼🤩

Thank you for this brilliant feedback @silverfox 😊 The Deano/mum relationship stuff was great to get stuck into. It's the first time I've ever tackled anything like it in a story so it was a bit of a challenge but it ended up being one of my favourite elements of the story. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 2:07 AM, WrestlejockCT said:

This does really get better and better everytime a new chapter is posted--that's saying a lot since it started off pretty damn strong.  I kind of love the fact I'm rooting for the twat-faced pocket rocket to find some happiness in his life, something I never expected to do when reading Muscle University.  Awesome writing MA!

Thanks for this lovely feedback, matie. That was pretty much the plan - I wanted the readers to really root for him despite his flaws and actions in the original story. 

19 hours ago, crushme99 said:

You are spot-on with your comment.  Our friend muscleaddict is doing something remarkable here:  taking the Deano we thought we knew (and darn near despised) and showing us a whole different side of him, “simply” by taking a different point of view.  What a lesson for real life. From distasteful villain to someone we care about.  The insights into Deano, his family, and so much more make this probably the best work I’ve read on this website.

Wow, mate. Not sure how to respond that last part but thank you! 😊 I think getting to show different sides to a character who was pretty much a villain the first time round was one of the things that really appealed to me about writing this. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WrestlejockCT said:

In our current world, empathy has never been more needed nor in shorter supply.

I'll admit I shed a tear.  Empathy - a word I have learnt more about in the last few years as I've come to terms with a long relationship and its terrifying conclusion that hinged on that one word and the lack of it in a person. I'm a survivor of that but yes, how I recognise it and value that word. You are so right WrestlejockCT - never has empathy been more needed nor has it seemingly been in such short supply.

Sometimes we just have to stand back, deconstruct our thoughts, our feelings or our 'knee-jerk' reactions to someone or something and if we're able think again for a moment before rushing to judgment. It might make us more cautious, it may even bring us to the same conclusion in some circumstances but it can also make us more understanding, of ourselves and those in the world around us.  It helps make us stronger , in ourselves and in our abilities to be potentially more tolerant or those who deserve and require tolerance and stronger in facing those who don't with fortitude and resolve. Empathy stops us from sinking to those low levels and belittling our potential.

That's all a bit thoughtful and philosophical for a Saturday morning - I'm going to brew some coffee and sit and have a quiet moment. Such is the power of such a story and some of the people reading it.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Mdlftr said:

Chapter 8

"I close down the Instagram app, throw my phone down the bed, roll on my side and close my eyes. I'll think of something I can actually confess to Ryan later."

Wow. Just...wow.  The English people's alleged 'gift for understatement' is on display in that sentence, and in the whole preceding episode. 

What subtle, masterful writing, that you are able to express such complicated, freighted, highly emotional scenes in descriptions of silence, pauses, grimaces and  rolling a tongue around the inside of one's cheek.  Amazing.  I feel calm in the middle of the emotional storm that is Deano's inner world.

Thank you.

What can I say? Us Brits don't like to make a fuss. 😅 But no - thanks for this wonderful feedback, matie. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, brawnygods said:

The thing we love about this future 212 champ is that he has no idea how hot he is.  Sure, he lights up when his dudes cop an upper arm feel or brush their fingers up and down his washboard, but he still underestimates how his serious-beef appeal tightens the trousers of other muscle-loving men.  And getting shot down by Woody, who, if not for Luke, would gladly have ravaged him in a marathon mutual appreciation sweat-fest, has only made him more tentative and insecure than he was.  That's what makes the sexual tension here so thick and the promise of him finally getting to have his (meat) cake and share it (with Ryan or anyone else) so compelling.  All the tension this little heartbreaker is carrying in his thick traps, wide glutes, broad back and puffy chest has to lead to a hell of a release one day!

He absolutely doesn't, mate. And who can blame him when he's grown up with a demigod for a brother, been surrounded by huge, hot bodybuilders like Liam "The Guns" Watson at his dad's gym and has taller, bigger lads who look like fucking film stars like Sebastian Wood strutting around campus in their shiny pink posers up at uni? 

• Like 5