The Repository - (Complete Story, 10/15/21)

TQuintA

There are so many hot elements in this story that trigger me it’s amazing! Really like how much he’s enjoying getting bigger and now temporarily a beast…..may we have more please? 😈

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TQuintA said:

“I told you it would end badly for us.”  With that, Flynn left my room, and I cried myself asleep.

When I woke up, there was a letter on my desk.  I opened it and found a letter from Flynn.

NOOOO! GODDAMNIT, FLYNN! 😱😓😢😢

• Like 2

Part 3 – The West California Wild Card

Chapter 1

Senior year at Crocker stared in heartbreak, and the rest of the year was unexciting hard work.  Phone calls from Jonah became my entire social life.  Shafe was off traveling the world doing various bodybuilding contests, and goodness knows I wasn’t going to make friends with my classmates at this point.  They still invited me places—cordially if coolly—but I never took them up on anything.  I mostly just worked on my senior thesis. 

At the suggestion of my advisor, I slimmed down some.  A massive bodybuilder-type composing YA fiction is a hard pitch.  Besides, without Flynn around, being that big felt more isolating than erotic.  Also, my issues with clothing (stretching out the chests, getting stuck in the sleeves, not fitting most things off the rack), were getting old.  Throughout the year, I started shedding some beef slowly and deliberately.  I still liked my muscles, and I didn’t want to suffer complete atrophy.  My end goal was to be described as “buff,” maybe even “gym rat.”  Clearly a muscular guy, but not huge guy.  It would be a hard tightrope to walk.

In part because I was now getting less muscular, my entire look changed.  I started wearing more button downs.  I stopped wearing jeans and sneakers to my meetings with my advisor.  I don’t know if it was because I was getting older or what, but it felt like I needed a change. 

Other changes I had less control over.  For instance, suddenly, I was getting quite hairy.  It had always been inevitable: all my male relatives were hairy Welsh men; I’m actually surprised I didn’t get hairier earlier.  I wasn’t Flynn-level hairy, but I had a decent carpet of brown chest hair that showed if I wore a V neck, and shaving every day became a hassle, so I grew a beard and moustache that I kept sharp and close to my face, which made me look quite sexy, if I do say so myself.

I graduated in May, still north of 200 pounds of muscle, but not enough to round to 210.  Flynn was right that New York was the best place to live to get into publishing, but moving there felt like following him, and we hadn’t spoken since the day we broke up.  He just pulled up stakes, cut all ties, and left.  I even swallowed my pride and tried contacting him a few times, but it was a chorus of crickets.

So, I moved to L.A. 

I still had almost all of the money I’d gotten from TGS-Max, and my investments were doing well, so I was set to spend a few years focusing on getting published.

And that’s what I did for the next five years.  With my Crocker connections, I got an agent almost right away: a chain-smoking, tiny woman in her 60s named Natalie.  She frightened me, but she loved my writing, and she encouraged me in all the right directions, so we were a good fit.  On Natalie’s advice, I did some freelance writing to get my name out there, I sent out my senior thesis to publishers, I worked on multiple new novels, and I pushed myself creatively.

Thankfully, unlike at Crocker, in L.A. I had a social life.  I made a variety of casual friends, Shafe and his crowd frequently swung through on the bodybuilder circuit.  I even started dating again.  Mostly, it was meaningless one night hook-ups—we all have needs—but there were three men who almost became something more. 

One was this cute guy named Ash.  He was fucking hot and a great time to be around, but after four months together, he started talking marriage, adoption, and a house in the suburbs.  None of that sounded good: no marriage, no kids, no suburbs.  No thank you.  We imploded as soon as we realized we had incompatible life goals. 

Malcolm was the next guy who was almost something more.  He was cute and incredibly in shape.  One of those Cross Fit guys.  Every day he tried to get me to go to Cross Fit with him, claiming I was built for it and would love it.  We had a lot in common in terms of dreams and tastes, and I could even forgive him for being the outdoorsy “let’s take a nature hike” type. Unfortunately, the sex was… terrible.  I gave it a good try but, he just did not push my buttons.  He was a selfish and lazy lover.  I tried a dozen things—kinks and such—to make our sex life work, but without that vital spark, our relationship wimped out after a few months. 

Ira was the closest to becoming a full-fledged boyfriend.  He was a fashionable, well-groomed, mustachioed lawyer I met at a gay club.  He was witty and charming, fit but not obsessed with his body, and we got along famously (both sexually and outside the bedroom).  I almost told him about being The Repository.  Then, after a few months of being together, while telling an (edited) story about how I made my money, I showed him some photos on my phone of me from junior year of college.  By this point, my weight was hovering just under 200 pounds.  Far less than what I’d once been, but still muscular and fit.  My six pack waxed and waned like cycles of the moon.  Sometimes it was sharp and crisp, sometimes it was a cute little four-pack, sometimes it was a toned but not defined midsection like Flynn had, and sometimes I just wanted pizza.  Ira knew I was close friends with a professional bodybuilder, but when he saw me at 240 competition-ready pounds, he was repulsed and disgusted, asking how I could have done that to myself.  He was relieved I had come to my senses and shrank down to my current size.  It was like my mother’s voice came out of his mouth.  Around then, some of Ira’s less attractive features came out.  He had a deep jealous streak, he had to “win” every conversation he had, and he often was overly harsh with criticism near to the point of cruelty.  Before I got attached to him, I knew Ira had to go.

But, again, I wasn’t lonely.  The longer I was in L.A., the wider my circle of friends grew and the more one night stands I had a chance to enjoy.  I’d also flown Jonah out a few times, and he had a standing invitation to live with me if he ever wanted to become a Californian.  I even got a condo with a spare bedroom just in case he changed his mind.

My parents had also come out to see the place.  We’d been cold and standoffish since the summer after my junior year at Crocker, and the chasm had only grown.  They were impressed with the beauty of my condo, but shocked that I lived in such a gay neighborhood and asked if I was ever going to “come to my senses.”  My dad clearly meant spending less time at the gym, giving up writing, pursuing a more sensible career, and marrying some nice normal man like Jonah to start a family.  My mom clearly meant “stop being gay.”  That started a screaming match that left me hoarse for two days.  I still dutifully call them on holidays and the like, but visits stopped.

After five years, though, all the hard work and sacrifice was paying off.  I’d had some short stories published in some prominent magazines, I was well-respected as a freelancer, and it was looking like I was going to get my first novel—Hollow Maple—published.

It was a modified, much-revised version of my senior thesis.  Natalie got a phone call from an editor named H. K. Riley, and he asked me to come in to talk about the book.  According to Natalie, face-to-face meetings were rare and a sign of good news.  I was excited.

I met with the editor at his personal office.  It was smaller than I’d hoped (because that meant he was less important than I’d hoped).  But the man was really cute.  He was clearly in his 30s, but could pass for late 20s in the right lighting.  Soap-opera smile with shiny white teeth, dazzling dark brown eyes, well-styled (if over-gelled) black hair, and exquisitely dressed.  Of course, the wedding ring on his hand and the picture of the woman holding a baby on his desk told me he was married and straight. 

When he met me, the editor was shocked that I was such a masculine, muscular man.  At about 200 pounds, I was the most muscular writer he’d seen.  Well, at least the most muscular writer who wasn’t writing about health and fitness.  My dress shirt could not hide my developed pecs and thick arms, and some of my chest hair was visible through the white fabric even though I’d freshly manscaped that morning.. 

I reached out my hand to shake his, and he shook it politely but tentatively.

“Mr. Riley,” I said, greeting him.

“Please, call me H. K.  Everyone does.”

Really?  People called him H. K.?  “Well then, call me G. P.,” I joked.

“Well, G. P., your novel is lovely, but I’d actually thought a woman had written it,” he said.  “You wouldn’t be the first female author who published under a man’s name.”

“George Sand,” I said.

“Exactly,” the editor smiled.  That smile was intensely appealing.  Man, why did he have to be a married straight guy?

“It’s written from a teenage girl’s point of view,” I continued.  “So, I guess I did that right.”

“We love this novel, we want to publish it, but there are two huge issues with it.  Three now that I’ve met you.”

I nodded, used to feedback like this, and heart-palpitatingly giddy to hear the words “we want to publish it.”  Masking my internal celebrations with cool equanimity, I prompted him to continue.

“It has no franchise potential.  Teenage girls, who I assume are your target demographic, they like series.  When they fall in love with a story, they want it to never end and to stretch over at least three books.”  He put his hand on a chapter of my book, which was in front of him.  “Your protagonist dies at the end of the novel.”

“You’re not asking me to have her live, are you?”

“Goodness no,” he said, straightening his tie.  “The book would lose all impact.  But, if you made her best friend one of two narrators, then the next book could be about her mourning her best friend’s death.”

I was impressed.  “That could actually work.”

“Glad to hear it.”  From his desk drawer, he pulled out a copy of my book with sticky notes and handwritten comments.  “I’ve marked some of the places where the friend could be the narrator.”

I took the book from him.  “What’s the second problem?” I asked.

“There aren’t any cute boys in this book.”

“It’s not a book about romance.”

“Nor should it be, but your core audience expects at least one cute boy.”

“Well,” I didn’t like this change, but I wasn’t morally opposed to it.  “I guess since Cora is now one of the narrators, I could write in some scenes of her with her boyfriend Devon.  I never actually described what he looked like, so I could make him a cute boy and expand his part in the novel a little.”

“We are going to get along so well,” H. K. said, flashing me his pearly whites again.  He reached across the desk to flip open my book to the third page.  There was a big note saying, “Expand Devon’s character.  Make audience LOVE him.”  Having warmed up to me, H. K. spun in his chair like a little boy.  “I am seldom this simpatico with first-time novelists.”

“What’s the third note?” I said.  Then a knot formed in my stomach.  “You’re not going to ask me to cut the lesbian character, are you?”

“God no.  We love Hannah.  If this book franchises well, the third book is going to be about Hannah.”

I sighed in relief.  “That’s a relief.  So, what’s the third change?”

“Again, I thought you were a woman.  Natalie doesn’t normally take on male writers.  She calls male authors sex-obsessed, misogynist, alcoholic assholes.  Teenage girls aren’t going to buy a book with your picture on it.”

“What?” I said, genuinely confused.

“Don’t get me wrong.  You’re a handsome fellow.  We could put you on the cover of a romance novel as the model and the author.  Middle-aged women would buy the book in droves.  But teenage girls are different.  Some of them, the more daring, might buy a calendar or poster with your picture on it, but not a book.  Teenage girls wouldn’t trust a book about a dying teenage girl written by an adult man as traditionally masculine-looking as you.  If you were a John Green type, we could pitch it.  But you’re more of a Samuel Delany, with a smaller beard.”

“Delany?  So, you figured out that I’m gay.”

“Natalie wouldn’t have taken you on as a client if you looked like that and were straight.”  I didn’t know how that made me feel about Natalie.

“Would you be comfortable publishing this under a woman’s name?  We’d have a model pose as you for the author’s photo.  We’d call her something like…”  H. K. pondered for a second, then said, “Gloria Bowman.  Assuming the name’s not taken.”

I shrugged.  “Sure.  As long as the book gets published.”

“Excellent.”  He drummed his fingers on the table.  “But you have such a good look, and such a good author’s name.  G. P. Vaughn.”  The drumming continued.  “At Natalie’s insistence I’ve read your pieces in Glimmer Train and Harper’s.  Have you considered writing a book for teenage boys?”

“You want me to pitch a book off the top of my head?”

H. K. shook his head.  “Nothing like that.  We have this book—still unfinished—that has been through several authors already.”  He opened a drawer, rummaged through some papers, and pulled out a packet half as long as my novel.  “The original author dropped out because he couldn’t handle all the feedback.  But we still own the book.”  Wistfully, he added, “And there’s such great franchise potential.”

“And you want me to finish it?”

“I want you to completely overhaul it.  Make it a G. P. Vaughn original.  Could you come back tomorrow and tell me how you’d fix it?  I don’t expect anything too involved, just your initial ideas.”

This all felt surreal.  Too good to be true.  “I haven’t had homework in six years, but sure.”

“Great,” H. K. made a note on his phone, and then stood up.

I stood up too.

“It was great to meet you, G. P.  I look forward to tomorrow.”

I called Natalie and told her about the meeting, and she was thrilled.  I expressed my concern at him offering me a second book when I hadn’t even finished the first, and Natalie laughed (so hard that she began hacking).

“You’re new, and you’re cheap.  And you’ve got the vibe they’re going for.  You’d be a schnook not to take the chance.  And don’t count your chickens, my boy.  The contract for the first book isn’t signed.  And they haven’t offered you a second book yet.  They’ve offered an audition.”

I spent the rest of that day and all of that night intermittently bouncing between four tasks.  I spent a good chunk of the day reading and rereading the unfinished novel, and then re-rereading it.  It was frustratingly terrible.  I spent equally as much time writing copious notes.  There was so much to change.  So much!  On top of that, I spent another good chunk of time texting/chatting with Jonah (and anyone else who would listen) about just how bad the book was.  If H. K. thought this shit heap was worth publishing, what did that say about my book?  I spent another good chunk of the day just stress-lifting.  There was a gym in my building—it was one of the reasons I picked this building.  I also kept a membership at a gym/spa downtown.  However, I saved the gym in my building for serious workouts, and the spa was mostly to cruise guys in the steam room.  For times like this, when I need exercise as a de-stressor, I kept a bunch of free weights in my condo.  I don’t think there was one muscle I hadn’t worked out by the time I went to bed.

At the meeting the next day, I showed H. K. my notes: half a composition notebook full of them.

“You told me not to get too involved, I know, but I’m an all-or-nothing sort of guy.  I know it seems like I’m tearing the book down and building it up from nothing,” I said plaintively.  “But I’m keeping the combat system.  That was one thing the first author nailed perfectly.  He seemed more interested in battle terrain and war tactics than the plot or characters.  And if you don’t have plot or characters, you don’t have a novel.  You have the mechanics for a tabletop RPG.”

H. K. snickered, and then continued to look through my notes, occasionally vocalizing his thoughts under his breath.  As he finished reading the notes, with a pleased tone, he said, “You gave all the named soldiers, even those who died in the first chapter, backstories.  You gave the main character a crippling fear of fire that he has to overcome at the climax.  You made the enemy general three-dimensional—he truly thinks exterminating all of humanity is moral.  These are all exciting changes.”

“Thank you.”

H. K. spun back and forth in his chair.  “Why did you make half the characters women?”

“It’s a dystopic future war that involves robots, zombies, and aliens.  The Earth army is so desperate that they’re accepting 14-year-olds as cadets.  They’d be recruiting everyone.”

H. K. nodded.  “And how would you end the first book?”

I began manically expounding.  “I’ve put a lot of thought into this.  Too much thought.  There was this passing reference in the book to the Death Knell, the first alien ship that invaded Earth.  There were literally two sentences about it.  Two, and it was the most interesting thing in the whole book.  If we made our main characters’ mission to find and secure the Death Knell, rather than just find and secure any alien spaceship, that would add an element of mystery to the book—what will they find on this ship, one of the few that humans were able to shoot down at the start of the war?  Why were humans able to destroy that ship but so few others?  Also, the dialogue that President Krixby has, it keeps harping on how innocent and harmless we humans were, how peaceful humans and all of the seven space-faring civilizations were before the war broke out.  As the book’s currently written, Krixby’s preaching the gospel truth, but I just found it disingenuous.  So, what if, on the Death Knell, we find out that the colonists on Neptune’s moon Triton were the initial aggressors?  That’s why the other six space-faring species want to obliterate us.  That could be a gut punch of a book ending.  And, it sets up a sequel rife with moral quandaries.  Humans aren’t innocent victims anymore.  Do we Earthlings stand by the colonists and keep fighting an unwinnable war, or do we turn on a group of fellow humans and hand them over to the aliens and try to broker peace?  That would also suggest Krixby is a liar, calling our main characters’ blind loyalty to him into question.  There’d be factions now.  Those loyal to a charismatic defector I’ll make up whole cloth, and those loyal to Krixby.  Also, can I change the name Krixby?  Please?  It just sounds like I’m mispronouncing ‘crispy.’”  I stopped talking, a little shamefaced.  I’d gotten overly animated during that explanation, and I realized I was leaning over H. K.’s desk.

“I’m sold.  The book’s yours.”

“That simple?”

“That simple.”  H. K. spun around in his chair again.

“Can I publish this one under a pseudonym too?”

“Why?  I really wanted your picture on the back of the book.”

“Books like this are not my cup of tea, really.  I have nothing against a book like this; I just don’t want it to be my legacy.”

“Fine.”  H. K. tapped his index fingers against his desk like they were drumsticks.  “Miles Uhler?”

“Good a name as any,” I said.

“I’ll send the contracts over to Natalie this afternoon.  I want to see the revised first ten chapters of Hollow Maple by Sunday, and the revised first five chapters of Death Knell in two weeks.”

“You’re calling it Death Knell?”

“You said it was the best part of the book.”  Then, in a joking tone, he added, “We could always call it President Krixby.”

Death Knell.  Works fine.”

We shook hands.  Over the next six months, I worked closely with H. K.  I even met his wife Paula and infant son Oliver at one lunch meeting.

Six months later, the book was ready to go to print, and three months after that it would be on shelves, so the company was already promoting them.

The whole time, my mind reeled that I was somehow getting two books published at once, even if one of them was under the name Gloria Bowman and the other Miles Uhler.  That seemed beyond unlikely.

But, sure enough, I soon found myself at a party H. K. was throwing at his unbelievably snazzy apartment.  We’d become pretty good work friends, maybe even real friends.  This wasn’t a press party or a book release party.  It was H. K.’s birthday party.  We’d gotten close enough as friends that he invited me to his birthday party.

And it was at that party that I met the next man who would radically alter my life.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Shade said:

Your characters are phenomenal.

Considering the overwhelmingly positive reaction I got to Flynn, I was honestly terrified to have Flynn dump him and then to introduce Puck.  So, thank you for this. :)❤️ 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1