Deano, Again: A Muscle University Story (Deano Story 3)

muscleaddict

We call this a "Breakthrough" in counseling ---

===================================================

“Don’t you think me and Little Dude are really similar?” Ozzie asks Mafra, still smirking and his tongue rolling around the inside of his mouth.

“No!” I say, flatly.

“Both pocket rockets. Both of our dad’s own gyms.”

I look at Mafra who's pulling a face. “You kind of are!” he says. I roll my eyes.

“Both of us say what we think.”

“That’s true!” Mafra pipes up.

“You’re a dickhead,” I say to Ozzie.

He throws his head back and lets out a loud laugh. “SEE!” He does a little shrug. “Plus … you know. We’re both kinda misunderstood.”

What - what?! I frown at him as the waitress comes over. But I feel a tug in my stomach. Misunderstood? What the hell did Ozzie mean by that? How am I misunderstood?

He’s looking at me. His mouth curled into a little smile. It’s not a smug grin though. Like he’s got one up on me. It’s like a genuine grin.

I don’t press Ozzie on it, mostly because I don’t want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he’s gotten inside my head. Even though he has. I’ve never thought of myself as being 'misunderstood' before, but if I’m being honest, I guess I kind of am. I don’t know how Ozzie would know that though. Or what makes him think me knows me so fucking well. And I’m failing to believe that HE’S the same way. He comes across as a cocky, annoying twat. And I’m pretty sure that’s EXACTLY what he is!

===================================

Pot, meet kettle!

Also, this is the first time in the Deano stories canon that Deano gets out of his own head and just reacts to someone - "You're a dickhead" - truer words were never spoken!  Deano just comes right out with it, skipping all the smirking, tongue rolling, cheek biting, eye rolling tics he usually does.

I see promise in this relationship with Ozzie!  

"Dean-OZ"! or "Oz-dee"!   It's got a certain ring to it!

"DEAN-OZZIE" -  I like it - like "Bennifer" or "Stan and Ollie" or some other famous couple! 

• Like 4

On 10/27/2021 at 12:55 PM, Mdlftr said:

What's with the verb tenses in this story:?  "So I'm sat there, looking at my phone"

Shouldn't it be:  "So I'm SITTING there, looking at my phone?"

Is this some sort of middle/working class slang?  Sort of how an American working class guy would say, "I seen him do it."  [No "Have" before "seen"] 

OH WAIT - I spoke too soon.  It turns out that Deano's speech mannerisms ARE a thing, specifically in Northern England:  

Language that annoys me:  https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=4825&start=90 

They're different in that "I'm sat/stood" is mostly heard in England, particularly Northern England. My family is from Yorkshire, and they certainly say "I'm sat here" or "I was stood there" instead of "I'm sitting here" or "I was standing there".
=================

But again, isn't Brighton in Southern England?  Having Deano speak like he does as a southerner would be like an American in Georgia talking about "grindas" instead of Hush Puppies, or, more accurately,. to say he's going to "red up his room and put his clothes in a clothes press" when he'd be much more likely to say that he's going to his clothes in the chifferobe! 

I dunno @MdlftrI'm from Brighton, England, and I can confirm that when I'm just sat there, I've definitely said this. In fact, its hard NOT to say it...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DennisFLL said:

Is it only us Americans dat speak good?  Yooz Brits can learn a few tings about dis language we boat got. 

Whaddya mean? We talk proper we do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, stewbake said:

Whaddya mean? We talk proper we do!

"The Rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain"

'In Harford, Hereford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly happen."

"How kind of you to let me come"

On 10/27/2021 at 9:05 PM, WashburnDaddy said:

Why is it that at the moment - I so want to read a story about Ozzie?! Just like Deano and his stories sprang from one of your other gems - here's another character you've written with such conviction that I want to know more about him! Brilliant stuff again.

Hmmm. An Ozzie story where we get to meet his dad and friends back home in Cardiff? That could be fun to write! 😅

• Like 5