Deano's Winter: A Muscle University Story

muscleaddict

16 hours ago, muscleaddict said:

Yep. Only 2 chapters left to go!

Gotta admit, that is a disappointment.  *BUT* it is also fun to see a "snapshot" story like this one, even if it is brief.  After all, we canot expect all your work to be the same length as "War and Peace."

One questions:  Here in my part of the U.S. (state of Minnesota) I have never heard the phrase "All right!" used as a greeting similar to "hello" or "welcome."  Is this a British colloquialism that just never made it across The Pond?

Thanks, MA, for every single word of your writing.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, crushme99 said:

Gotta admit, that is a disappointment.  *BUT* it is also fun to see a "snapshot" story like this one, even if it is brief.  After all, we canot expect all your work to be the same length as "War and Peace."

One questions:  Here in my part of the U.S. (state of Minnesota) I have never heard the phrase "All right!" used as a greeting similar to "hello" or "welcome."  Is this a British colloquialism that just never made it across The Pond?

Agree to everything above.  Another British-ism is the word 'mate'.  Here we'd say 'friend' instead, and if you referred to your mate it would mean to your spouse.  I think MA can teach us a few more! 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2021 at 10:17 PM, Mdlftr said:

How did I miss this until now?  

It feels like coming home - the interior monologue, the terse words, the tongue poking and cheek biting to hide a smirk -- it's all there!

Deano's back in the emotional soup after only a few days of back in Brighton for Christmas.  He should visit his female friend instead.

Oh, and about Ryan North, and his Dad leaving him in the car, and all that - BOTH of his parents know what's going on.  They're each supportive in their own way, but Deano has to deal with it.

Harry is getting the shaft, but it's not really about Harry, is it? As much as he seems like a nice guy, and he turns Deano's crank, he's just a ship passing in the night.

After the last drama free semester at school, Deano is making up for it in spades!

Great writing, as always!  Understated, minimal dialog, but oh, so MUCH detail!

Thank you for this!

Thanks for this brilliant and thoughtful feedback @Mdlftr! I won't say anything about Harry at the moment but what would a Deano story be without him rolling his tongue around the inside of his cheek? 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, crushme99 said:

21 hours ago, DennisFLL said:

Agree to everything above.  Another British-ism is the word 'mate'.  Here we'd say 'friend' instead, and if you referred to your mate it would mean to your spouse.  I think MA can teach us a few more! 

Sorry, lads - this was always supposed to just be a short novella length story. I *do* have an idea for a potential third story but I can't say it will definitely happen at this point! 

Yeah - "All right?" is just an alternative to saying hello. "All right, mate? Just about to put the kettle on. Fancy a Hobnob and a brew?" (Some more British-ism's for you there! 😅)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, muscleaddict said:

Sorry, lads - this was always supposed to just be a short novella length story. I *do* have an idea for a potential third story but I can't say it will definitely happen at this point! 

Yeah - "All right?" is just an alternative to saying hello. "All right, mate? Just about to put the kettle on. Fancy a Hobnob and a brew?" (Some more British-ism's for you there! 😅)

Keep up with the Britishisms!   You'll find that most of us love hearing how the English language is spoken in different parts of the world, especially in the mother country.  Besides, it makes the narrative more authentic and thus compelling. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Muscleinatl said:

Keep up with the Britishisms!   You'll find that most of us love hearing how the English language is spoken in different parts of the world, especially in the mother country.  Besides, it makes the narrative more authentic and thus compelling. 

In all honesty I don't really think about the fact that a lot of my readers are American and may not recognise or understand certain words and phrases when I'm writing. I just write what's authentic for me. I've grown up watching American films and TV and reading American books so not understanding certain words/phrases/cultural references is fairly normal to me. The first time I heard about Thanksgiving was while watching Friends. 😅 Anyway - you guys can always ask me if you're unsure! 😊

• Like 6

9 hours ago, muscleaddict said:

I don't really think about the fact that a lot of my readers are American and may not recognise or understand certain words and phrases when I'm writing.

Oh please don't get me wrong for mentioning "all right" . . . it's **FUN** to read the differences and, yes, they definitely add to the authenticity.  The differences help us recogniZe your writing style.  😀

• Like 3

13 hours ago, crushme99 said:

Oh please don't get me wrong for mentioning "all right" . . . it's **FUN** to read the differences and, yes, they definitely add to the authenticity.  The differences help us recogniZe your writing style.  😀

No - don't worry, mate (happy @DennisFLL😅) I knew there wasn't anything negative behind your comment! 😊 

• Like 4