Going Niche (Complete Story) [Bonus Material Added 8/29/23]

TQuintA

The moment I saw that you posted a story @TQuintA I knew it was going to be another work of art.  I was pleasantly surprised to see it was an entire part - and I just got time to read it straight through - and it did not disappoint.  You have a way of making all your stories extremely likable while being top self erotic.  I find myself becoming invested in the story and characters, and this is no different.  I feel like Nile and all are old fiends. Looking forward to what’s to come and I’m sending best wishes to you in your personal life.  You’re a wonderful person and we’re blessed that you share your talents with us. Thanks for continuing to send us on these wonderful paths. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

An incredible start to what I’m sure is going to be another fantastic story. I never expect anything less from you and I’m never disappointed. You have the incredible ability to draw a reader into the worlds you have created and your characters are always so real, so relatable, that I instantly feel that I know them. You have written some absolutely wonderful stories, some of the best ever on this site and I’m sure this will be no exception. I am in awe of your writing and wish I could write this well. I find your quality of writing inspiring.

I hope on a personal level that you’re doing well and that the health issues you described before are going to get better. And As a person with a long term disability myself, you have my empathy and understanding, not to mention my respect.

• Like 2

TQuinta,

I have to say that I enjoyed this story so far, even though it doesn't have much of your usual snappy, snarky dialog.  You have  a way of creating a world that is so compelling that the reader totally accepts the premises and becomes captivated by the personalities you create. 

As others have said, it's sad that Nile has so lost or so redefined himself that he doesn't even know his own name anymore.  He's like a celebrity or a movie star who has reinvented himself to the point that his origins are totally lost.  Nile is so disconnected from  his own emotions that he only lives in the moment, always calculating his bank balance.

I anticipate the future parts!  Please take care of yourself - it sounds like you are about to undergo some significant health-related challenges.  I wish you good care and good outcomes!

Thank you.

Mdlftr

• Like 2

On 6/3/2023 at 5:53 PM, atomcell said:

There is something really beautiful and sad about Chapter 11. I'm happy for Hawk/Charlie, leaving on his own terms, and sharing a moment of camaraderie with Nile, even if Nile didn't realize Hawk considered Nile a close friend. It's also a little sad that Nile has forgotten his original name, but to be fair this is his real identity and his only life. 

I'm hoping he and Nile get to hang out in retirement together in the epilogue. The closed off from the world element to life in the pleasure house is interesting, and sad. I'm curious what human life spans are in this reality.

Amazing work as always TQuintA!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 13

At breakfast the next morning, the whole house was abuzz.  Tony would be announcing the rules for the second round during our morning meeting.  The first round had been such a piece of piss for me that I was feeling confident.  Unlike the rest of the house, I only had to survive one more round to ensure my post-competition spot in the house, and considering I was now the Big Dog, I was sure I could do it.

Most of the other pleasure boys were too nervous to eat.  I was chowing down on my usual giant meal, assured in my status but cognizant of how much missing one meal would hurt me if we had to do something like gain 50 pounds.  Onyx followed suit.  Slate saw us eating heartily and forced himself to choke down breakfast.  Across the room, I saw Krakatoa poke at his breakfast, but he was barely eating anything.  Pelée didn’t even have food in front of him.  He was too busy holding his head in both his hands, cradling it like he was hungover, which was absurd because we weren’t allowed to have alcohol, not even as part of a session.  Krakatoa was doing his best to get him to eat, but it was not working.

“What’s with Pelée?”  Slate asked me from a neighboring table.

“Withdrawal,” I said.  “He took my advice and stopped using the purple stuff.  He’s gonna have a bitch of a week as his muscles turn to fat.”  His muscles were already looking a little flatter.

The rest of breakfast finished in somber silence.  No one even said “gesundheit” when a janitor sneezed loudly. It was weird to see a room full of muscular hunks look so low and scared, so I just minded my own meal.

At the start of the morning meeting, Tony began by applauding all of us for making it through the first round.

“We will end today’s meeting with the rules of the second round,” he said smarmily.  “There are some other important issues to go through first.”

Nothing that followed for the next ten minutes was important.  It was all boring, quotidian boilerplate.

After that seemingly interminable ten minutes, Tony said, “The second round will start first thing tomorrow morning at breakfast, 6 AM.  Also starting tomorrow, there will be a permanent schedule change.  After a discussion with Nile…”

What?  What discussion?  The last time I spoke to Tony was when he authorized an overnight clothes order.  We had discussed nothing since.  He was flagrantly lying.

“I’ve decided to restructure the house schedule to allow for four regular meals a day.  Breakfast and dinner will stay the same as always: 6 AM and 6 PM, a half hour each.  However, rather than one lunch a day, two will be available.  First lunch is from10:30-11 AM; second lunch is from 2:30-3 PM.  Pleasure boys may attend one or both lunches.  You need to eat to grow, and I expect a lot more growth.” 

This wasn’t so bad.  If he was going to lie about something, an extra meal might actually make the guys like me. 

He paused to make sure we’d all heard and understood, then continued. “A fifth meal will be available from midnight to 12:30 AM.  Its official designation is midnight snack, but it is a full meal.”  With a sneer he added, “It is only available with payment of a subscription fee, and will be delivered directly to your room.”

Ah.  That’s why he name-dropped me.  Make it seem like it’s my fault for the fee.

Tony then announced new room assignments, moving practically all the pleasure boys so that all of the empty rooms were contiguous.  He explained that, during the second round, the empty dorm rooms would be converted into larger suites for those who made it through to the third round.  I noticed that I was one of the lucky few allowed to keep his room.  Onyx was moved in right next door to me.  Again, making it look like I was getting special privileges.  At least the kid would be right next door. 

Tony smiled greasily.  “Those who are moving have 24 hours to get their clothes and toiletries into their new rooms.  Any possessions not moved by the start of the second round will be forfeit.  For a nominal fee, a janitor can help you with your belongings.  Otherwise, you’re on your own.”

That sucked too.  But, again, since they didn’t let us have many personal possessions, it was more of a nuisance than anything.

“To remind you,” Tony said, seeing he had lost some of pleasure boys as they tried to work out the logistics of changing rooms around their workouts and sessions with clients, “only 30 of you will make it through to the third round.  That’s half of you.  Half of you will be dismissed.”

“So, what do we gotta do, already?” Pelée cried out, his headache clearly getting to him.

“The first round,” Tony said, “was just to eliminate the dregs.  The second round is designed for you to prove you’re committed.  There are four goals you must meet to make it through to the third round.  The first 30 of you to complete all four goals will move on.”

“We’re waiting!” Pelée cried out.

“Goal one: put on an additional twenty pounds of muscle.”  Tony cleared his throat and said, “This is based off of where you started in the first round.  Therefore, some of you, such as Nile, have already met this goal.”

Some of you?  I didn’t hear him name anyone else, especially not his precious Onyx.  On the plus side, this means I didn’t have to pack on any more mass—I just had to maintain what I already had.

“Goal two: have a body fat percentage under 10%.  Some of you, such as Nile, have already met this goal.”

Oh, he was being sadistic.  I noticed he didn’t mention Onyx’s name here either, and Onyx had a lower body fat percentage than me.

“Goal three: an erection of at least seven inches in length and proportionate thickness.  Some of you, such as Nile, have already met this goal.”

He was being sneaky.  He picked 7 inches, I suspected, so Onyx didn’t have to spend his savings on growing his cock, or the number likely would’ve been 8 inches.  He’d just singled me out for a third time.

“Fourth goal: double the number of your regular clients.”  He paused to let that sink in.  Then, Tony went on to say, “Any new regulars you made during the first round do not count.  Since our clientele became all-male and we reduced the house to 60 pleasure boys, we are down from over 1,000 regular clients to just barely 300.  That’s across the house.  The 10 of you who make it through all four rounds will need to establish a lot of new regulars, and this will test how well you can do that.”

I had barely lost any regular clients.  I specialized in married men.  The ones who were married to women just stopped bringing their wives.  The first three goals seemed designed to make it look like I had already finished the second round.  The fourth goal seemed designed to make it impossible for me to make it through the second round.  This would not stand.

“This is unfair,” I said, standing up.

“What is, Nile, my boy?” Tony asked.

“Sorry to do this to you, Slate, but I have to.”  I made eye contact with him.  He nodded, encouraging me to continue, wordlessly indicating that he wasn’t taking this personally.  “Slate has one regular client.  One.  That means, he just has to get one more regular client and he’s met goal four.  You’ve got the house numbers in front of you.  How many regular clients do I have?”

“45,” Tony said without glancing at the numbers.  He just knew.

“So, in two months, you want me to go from 45 regular clients to 90 regular clients while Slate has to go from 1 to 2.”

“It seems perfectly fair,” Tony said evenly as if he had rehearsed.  “More popular boys should have an easier time getting new regulars.  And my definition of ‘regular’ is generously broad.  If someone commits to sessions once a year on his birthday, he’s a regular client.  You’re adept at getting regulars, Nile.  You can do this.”  With that bossy, self-satisfied tone, he finished with, “Don’t worry, boy.  I assure you it’s perfectly fair.”

“It’s not fair,” I insisted.  “It’s time for a math lesson.  If we’re down to 300 regular clients and 45 are mine, then 15% of the regular clients are mine.  15%!”

“If you’re so good at math, then tell me what the average is,” he retorted.

“The mean is 5, but that’s skewed by my 45 regulars.  What’s the mode?  Or the median?  Those are probably more reasonable numbers.”

“The median is 4; the mode is 3,” Tony said simply.  “But the mean, as you’ve pointed out, is 5.”

“Take me out of the math, the mean is just over 4.”

“Why would I remove you from the math, boy?” Tony asked.  “Do you think you’re better than everyone else?  That you deserve special privileges?”  There were fangs in that question.

That’s why he’d name-checked me so many times.  He set me up, and I took the bait.  I was about to fire back and say that everyone should have to get 5 new regular clients so that it was actually fair, but he’d just told me that the mode was 3.  Would 5 be a fair alternate for the majority of the house?  Feeling my emotions trying to overwhelm me, I knew that if I spoke, I would barrel through a half-assed answer.  So, I took a deep breath, calmed myself down, and considered my two choices. 

Choice one.  Keep pressing Tony, and everyone, including the vast majority who had fewer than 5 regulars would have to get 5 new regular clients—more than Tony had initially asked for.  That would make just about everyone hate me and put a bigger target on my back.

Choice two.  Accept Tony’s dominion.  I’d have to get 45 new clients, but the whole house wouldn’t hate me.  I could get 45 new regulars, right?  In two months?  That was doable, right?  I was already in a math mindset, so I did the math for this too.  I would only need 3 new regulars every 4 days, practically a new regular every day.  On top of my sessions that didn’t become regulars.  On top of my sessions with regulars (most of whom had weekly or monthly appointments—Adam had twice-weekly appointments).  On top of my workouts.

The choice was obvious. 

I only had to make it through one more round to secure my pension.  I could easily get 5 new clients in 8 weeks, and I’d already met the other three goals. 

The other pleasure boys would hate it, but I was doing what was right for me.

I pushed. 

With a studied equanimity, I proclaimed, “Mathematically speaking, I’ve earned special privileges.  I’ve been a top earner for this house for decades.  15% of the regular clients are mine.  I finished the first round in half the time allotted, and I’m already three-quarters of the way done with the second round, and it hasn’t even started yet.  So, yes, I deserve special privileges.”

“Five it is, then,” Tony said happily.  “To complete the second round, goal number four is to acquire five new regular clients.”

A loud, angry groan went over the room.  All but ten people did not like that decision.

I marched down to the front of the room and turned to face my fellow pleasure boys.  As cheerily as I could muster, I said, “I will help you through this.  If you want to make new regular clients, memorize these seven words: ‘I would love to see you again.’  It breaks no rules because it’s not asking for anything.  It’s a statement of fact.  It’s not even a lie because you do want to see them again, if only for their tips or to make it through to the next round.  It’s flattering to the clients’ egos, and it’s how I got half of my regulars.  Say it after every session with a new client.  Religiously.  Now, repeat after me.  I would love to see you again.”

They droned back to me, “I would love to see you again.”

“Like you mean it, everyone!”  I felt like a cheerleader.

They droned again, “I would love to see you again.”

“This sentence is money, people,” I insisted.  “You want to get through to the third round?  You want to make the big tips?  You want to be a big success?  Say it like you mean it.”

This time, with enthusiasm, they declared as a group, “I would love to see you again!”

Tony, who was standing directly behind me, announced, “That’s the end of the meeting.  Now, go out there.  Get big.  Make new regulars.”

Frenetically, the group started leaving, eager to start the second round.

Tony hopped down off the stage.  While there were still enough people in the room to hear it, he said to me, “Thanks.  That went better than we planned.  For the entirety of the second round, your midnight snacks are on me.”

I was so taken aback that I couldn’t blink.  In one meeting, he’d made the number of new regulars sound like my fault, introduced new fees that sounded like my idea, and made the whole scenario look like a con that I was a part of. 

He had played me perfectly.

At least I hadn’t lost my temper.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Tony wants to screw Nile so bad. It's sad. They already have a tough life and yet people will always look for a way to keep them down.

I hope everyone meets the requirement to see what Tony would use to judge them and sent them out.

• Like 1

WHAT game is Tony playing? Is he jealous of Nile because Nile is a holdover from his mother's era - and Nile screwed her on the regular?Tony is a piece of work!  Mind games!

Like  a real world job!

LOL

• Like 1

Chapter 14

After the meeting, Slate came up to me.  Since he’d shed all that weight and put on all that muscle, he was looking downright handsome.  His shoulders looked broader, his pecs prominent, and his arms looked strong and sinewy.  Even his once nondescript brown eyes were now brighter and clearer.  The loss of the excess weight revealed a strong jaw, framing a more chiseled, masculine face.  He looked sensational.  Spectacular.  Sexy.  He was going to have to rebrand.  No one would buy him as the boy next door anymore.  With a knowing chuckle in his voice, he said, “You kinda threw me under the bus in there.”

“Tony kinda threw me there first.  Sorry.”

“I went from needing one new regular to five new regulars.”  He wasn’t laying a guilt trip.  I could tell he was only half-serious, but it still stung a little.

“I am sorry,” I repeated.

“There’s an easy way to make this up to me,” Slate said, leadingly.

I leaned in and whispered.  “There are a number of penile enhancement drugs in the pharmacy.  Only two work well.  MegaPhallX and dimefidone.  Fun fact, they’re the same drug.  MegaPhallX is the brand name of the generic dimefidone.  Dimefidone isn’t cheap…”

“I’ll say!” Slate interrupted.  “Is it worth the money?  Even the cheap one is well outside my budget.”

“It’s half as expensive as the brand name stuff, but works as advertised.  At the recommended dosage, you put on half an inch in a month.  Doses should scale if you need more than an inch over the next two months.  Side effects are minimal, if any, but if you exceed recommended dosage, expect painfully steel-hard, spontaneous erections that don’t go down for hours.  But, hey, that might be a positive side effect in our line of work.”

“Thanks,” Slate said, but he still sounded discouraged.

At my normal volume, I said, “The rest are a step above snake oil.  They do a little bit, but not much.”  Then, I clapped him on the arm.  “You’re about to become very popular,” I added, encouragingly.

He looked confused.  “What?  How?  Why?”

“You lost, what, 20 pounds of fat in the first round?”

“40,” he admitted.

“In two months?  I’m impressed.”  I beamed at him.  “Most guys in this house are between 10 and 15% body fat.  They’re gonna want to know how you did it.”

“And?”

“Sell them the information,” I explained.

“But we can’t exchange money,” he protested.

“We can borrow each other’s clothes,” I said with a melody.  “If there just happen to be some loose pills in the pocket…”

“That’s not against the rules?”  Slate sounded scandalized.

“Technically, no.  You’re not giving the pills.  You’re lending pants.  Back before Tony was even born, Winnipeg and Kalahari used to do it all the time.  They used to make the newbies ‘pay them’ for help, even though my pledge class didn’t make them pay.  Just make sure you swap pants; it can’t look like a one-way transaction.  Also, wear the pants once before you trade them back.  Then, it’s all nice and perfectly legal by the house rules, as they are worded.  It’s shady as fuck, and Tony might make it against the rules if he catches wise, but it’s not against the rules right now.  But don’t tell anyone how you lost the weight until you get the pills.”

“Obviously,” Slate said.   Then, he looked at me, confused again.  “How’d you get so smart?”

I shrugged.  It felt like an avalanche the way my shoulders and chest moved.  “Part of it is being around for 50 years.  Some of it is natural cleverness.”

“Yeah, but that math stuff you did at the meeting?  The big words you always use?  The way you can use the rules to break the rules?  That is some freaky impressive shit.”

I nodded.  “You know that huge yoga studio that nobody uses?

Slate rolled his eyes.  “Biggest waste of space in the whole house.  They should turn it into a pool.”

“It used to be a library,” I informed him.  “We used to be allowed to read in our off hours.”

“That would be awesome!  Sometime this place gets so boring.  Why’d they get rid of a cool thing like a library?”

“Officially,” I said, “it’s because Kalahari and Winnipeg were using it as a place to store contraband, mostly phones.  Unofficially, Tina didn’t want us improving our minds.  That was 40 years ago.  She never figured out how those two were receiving their payments, so she assumed they were hiding those in the books too.  She was so distracted by the books that she never thought to ban swapping clothes.”

“Fuck,” Slate said.

“I miss that library,” I said, a slight pang of wistfulness floating over my voice.

“Thanks, for real this time.”

My confab with Slate over, I went to the gym.  Onyx was there, waiting for me, all smiles and sunshine.

"Finally,” he said with a laugh.  “Shake the lead out, Nile.”

“You’re not mad at me for needing to get five new regulars?”

He emphatically shook his head.  “You’re my accountability buddy.  How could I be mad at you?”  He ran his hand through his thick, black hair, causing his right bicep to bulge enticingly by his ear and flashing everyone a good look at his defined, muscular armpit and the tuft of hair within it.  Onyx then admitted, “Besides, I currently have five regular clients.  Six if you count Tony, but I don’t think he counts himself because he doesn’t pay the house for my time.  I would have had to get five new regulars regardless of how that standoff shook out.”

“You’re not even mad about the fee for midnight snacks?”

Onyx shook his head again.  “Over the past month, Tony’s affections have kinda stopped bothering me.  I don’t know why, but they haven’t.  Besides, I can use them to my advantage.  Ever since you told me Tony was in love with me, I’ve been milking him for everything I can.  Tony’s paying for my midnight snacks.  He said he’d give you the hook-up too as a favor to me.  At the same time, I also got him to put me in a room right next to you so we could eat our midnight snacks together without sacrificing sleep.  I don’t like eating alone, and Tony is in bed by 11 almost every night.”

Everything that seemed like it was a privilege for me was actually a privilege for Onyx.  I was just getting spillover perks, but Tony made it look like it was all my doing.

Smiling, Onyx said, “I know we’ve already hit goal one, but I say we go hog wild and get freaky big before we find out what the rules for round three are.”

Oh.  Right.

In my relief at the second round being no challenge at all, I forgot about my buddy.

“We need to have a conversation.”  I pulled him out of the gym into the deserted yoga studio.  I explained the deal I’d made with Tony before Onyx and I had even become accountability buddies.  “You heard Tony.  I’ve met three of the four goals already.  I planned on coasting a little, kid.  I just need to maintain this body and get five new regulars over the course of the next eight weeks, and I’ll serve my 50.”

“I wouldn’t expect Tony to keep that promise.”

“Tony’s a lot of things,” I explained, “but he only makes promises he intends to keep.  His word is trustworthy.  I’ve known him since he was a kid.  Think about every promise he’s ever made you.  I bet he’s never broken a single one.”

“I don’t know.  He railroaded you hard at the meeting.”

I shook my head.  “He was making me the villain so the boys don’t hate him as much.  I almost respect him for it.  It shows how well he knows me.”

“I could never respect Tony,” Onyx said flatly.

“I couldn’t either.  Not really.  He may be able to play me like a fiddle, but he has one fundamental misconception about me.  I don’t value being a pleasure boy.  He thinks I do.  I’m just here for the luxury digs and a full pension.  I don’t even think he knows I tried the army first.”

Onyx smiled wanly, pleased that I could keep something that big from Tony.  Then, he asked a question that hollowed me out so thoroughly I thought I was going to vomit.  And he asked it so casually.

“Nile, what do you want to do after you’ve served your 50?”

The large, empty yoga studio seemed to double in size.  The lights all got whiter and brighter.  My vision doubled.  My heart raced.  My head spun.  I felt physically sick.

"I have no idea."

I had spent so much energy trying to get to my 50 that it hadn’t even occurred to me to spend five seconds on what I’d do after. 

From somewhere deep in my mind, some remote corner of me said, “Not since Colorado left, at least.”  I hadn’t said that thought out loud, but it echoed around my brain.  It felt foreign, like someone else’s thought trying to force its way in.  It also felt true in a way I didn’t understand.

I took a minute to collect myself and calm down.

Once I felt normal again, I answered honestly.  “I'll figure it out.  Get a nice place to live.  Lose all this muscle.  Relax.  See if anyone I know from outside the house is still kicking about and remembers me.  Read.”  That felt right.  “Oh, I miss reading.”

“You’re in excellent shape.  You’ll only be 70 when you leave the house, and the average life expectancy is 94.”  It had been 81 when I entered the house.  “You want to read for 24 years?”

“Maybe,” I said.  The idea had its appeal.

For a second, I heard Colorado’s husky, sultry voice echo in my head.  “Come with me, Nile.”  I missed that beautiful, beautiful voice.

As I had the memory, I suppressed my feelings, saying, “Let me get to my 50 first.”

“Fine,” Onyx said, visibly unsatisfied with my response, “but I want to get as big as possible.  I have to get through three more rounds, not just one.  And you agreed to be my accountability buddy.”

“I’ll keep pushing you, I promise.”

“Not enough, old man.”  He crossed his arms defiantly.  “You’re the pot of gold at the end of my rainbow.  If you’re not always beyond my reach, I might actually get bigger than you.  And if I get bigger than you, my world would spin off its axis.”

“But…”

Onyx interrupted.  “Until the end of the second round at least, I need you.  After that, we’ll have this conversation again.  Until, then, please keep up this breakneck speed with me.”

His tone sounded like he was trying to mask desperation; his face didn’t betray it, though.  He looked down at me with those sparkling brown eyes.  I saw myself in him, so I relented.

“Fine,” I acquiesced.

• Like 24

Interesting mind games going on here: Tony and everyone, Tony and Nile, Nile and his own memories of Colorado, Tony and Onyx, Onyx and Nile. 

Enjoying seeing it all play out!  

Comment: I know this is fiction, but = I keep having a major mental check when I think of Nile putting on still more muscle - without risking a heart attack or a stroke - even in this world!  The magic pills in this world make anything possible, in terms of growth and penis enlargement.  

I'm sure there must be some limits, somewhere!

• Like 1