Muscle Lads, Inc.

muscleaddict

Chapter 23 coming up. This is the penultimate chapter of the story and the last one told from Nick's point of view but he will be back in the final chapter. 😊

• Like 1

TWENTY-THREE

NICK

It’s been two days since Danny King kissed me. Since me and Danny King had sex. (I had sex with Danny King!) For the rest of that night and much of yesterday, it felt like my feet barely touched the ground. I slept in his bed on Saturday night and woke up the next morning with his huge, bronzed, rock hard arms wrapped tightly around me. I probably could have stayed lying in Danny's bed all day, but he had to go to his mum’s. He asked me if I wanted to go to Five Guys together before though and when I said I needed to grab a hoodie from my room before we left, he suggested I just borrow one of his. I can’t tell you how much I fucking loved that. Wearing Danny's baggy, dark green hoodie that I didn't take off all day. Even just being out with him in Manchester. Getting loads of looks because of how bronzed we were from the Tiger North West Championships. Knowing what we'd done the night before. And that morning too. Knowing that Danny is bisexual. Knowing that Danny actually likes me!

But this morning I’m not feeling that same high. (Danny slept at his mum's so there was no chance of anything happening again last night.) For some reason, I’m feeling kind of anxious. I woke up with this weird knot in my stomach. I think it’s a number of things. Firstly, I keep thinking about the show on Saturday. About everything that happened before me and Danny kissed. Jason Fox catching me and Mason together in the toilets. Me completely fucking up the friendship I thought was starting to form between me and Jason. And ruining my chances of ever working with him again. And the panic attack I had afterwards in the middle of the pump room. And the fact I had to leave the show and pull out of the junior bodybuilding class because of it.

But it's mostly Jason I'm thinking about. I completely fucked him over. I monumentally buggered up. Do I deserve this amazing thing that’s happening between me and Danny King right now? I’m really not sure I do.

And that’s another thing that’s making me feel anxious. I had this amazing night and half a day yesterday with Danny, but what if that’s it? What if he’s decided that we’re better off as friends? That being flatmates and carrying on doing what we’re doing would just be too messy. That he had a fun night and morning but he just wants to leave it there? I haven’t heard from Danny since he went to his mum’s yesterday. Who knows what’s going through his head right now? 

And then there’s one other thing. The fact that my OTHER hot bodybuilding (and supposedly straight!) flatmate Alfie kissed me yesterday. And I kissed him back! And while it wasn't exactly NOT nice, it wasn’t anything close to the mind-blowing kisses I’ve been having with Danny. Ultimately it was meaningless and me and Alfie both laughed about it afterwards, BUT - I still fucking kissed him.

Not twenty-four hours after kissing the guy I never thought I’d get (the most PERFECT guy) I’m bloody kissing someone else. What the fuck is wrong with me? And what the hell would Danny think if he knew that me and Alfie got tipsy on Baileys yesterday and ended up on top of each other kissing because he's clearly going through some stuff right now and maybe isn't straight after all? Maybe I am just destined to be a walking fucking disaster when it comes to men.

I sit up in bed and grab my phone from my bedside table. My stomach clenches with nerves as I look at the Instagram app icon staring back at me from the screen. I couldn't bring myself to check it yesterday. I haven’t seen any pictures from Saturday's show. I have no idea who’s posted what. Or whether Jason Fox is still following me.

I guess I can't avoid it forever. My nerves double as I click on the icon. I’m half expecting to see no notifications, so I’m a little taken aback when I see a shitload of likes and comments. More than I’ve ever had before, in fact.

And they all seem to be coming from one post. I sit up and my heart catches in my throat when I see whose account the post is from. Jason Fox! Despite everything, Jason has made a post celebrating my runner-up place in the Junior Classic Physique class. There’s a picture of me on stage in my shiny black trunks. And a second picture in the post of me, backstage with Danny. Both of us bronzed and doing the peace sign into the camera. Me looking lean and shredded. Danny huge and shredded in his shiny black bodybuilding trunks. And oh-so-fucking handsome. I’m smiling so much as I look at that second picture.

The post was made yesterday. Jason posted that yesterday. Okay - that might not mean anything. I was his client after all. He dedicated all of that time to coaching me. And he's made posts featuring some of his other clients from the show. I think back to what Alfie said yesterday. That he’s more pissed off at Mason than he is at me.

I know Jason Fox will never work with me again. And maybe I’ve done too much damage for us to carry on being friends. But I can’t leave things the way they were left on Saturday. I need to at least try to make things better. My insides tighten with anxiety. Because I know what I need to do.

I need to make one last visit to The Muscle Factory.

My nerves worsen once I've stepped off the tram and I’m heading in the direction of the gym. I feel a bit like I’m walking into a snake pit. I have to remind myself that it’s Jason. The guy I’ve been training with for the past month. The guy I was comforting when his mum got rushed into hospital a couple of weeks ago. And yet - I still keep thinking about the way he was with me on Saturday after he caught me and Mason. How cold he was with me. And his comment about how the last-placed trophy in the bodybuilding class was waiting for me. Fuck - am I making a big mistake by doing this?

I’m pulled from my thoughts by the sound of my phone ringing in my pocket. Could this be Danny? My chest tightens as I retrieve my phone and then I feel a stab of disappointment when I see it’s just Liv calling me. 

“Where are YOU rushing off to?” she asks me through the phone.

“What?” I say, instinctively looking around.

“You’ve just walked past us. Turn around.”

I stop and do as she says, trying to spot my best friend. Liv instructs me to walk back to a coffee shop I always walk past but never really pay much attention to. I obey her orders and when I look through the window of the coffee shop I see her in there standing up and waving at me.

It’s only when I’m inside the shop and walking towards her that I notice that she’s not only with Benji but with someone else. Oh wow. I feel an unexpected warmth when I realise who that someone else is. He furrows his eyebrows in confusion when he sees me. Then his mouth curls into a sheepish grin.

“All right, sexy,” Benji says when I reach their table. “Why is your face so brown?” 

“Ummm. I did a bodybuilding competition at the weekend,” I say, a little awkwardly. 

“It’s … weirdly hot. You’re like a half-sexy nerd, half-bronzed God.”

“Nick … this is Curtis,” Liv says.

I look at Curtis and we both smile at each other. He looks pretty cute in the yellow jumper he's wearing.

“Yeah - we kind of already know each other,” Curtis says, giving me a knowing smile.

Liv screws up her face up. “How do YOU two know each other?” she asks, surprised.

Curtis’ face does something weird. “We, erm … kind of fake dated,” Curtis says, giving me a sheepish smile.

“Me and Nick had a thing!” Benji announces proudly.

I can't help but smirk. Liv rolls her eyes. “They snogged each other once when they were off their faces,” she tells Curtis.

Curtis gives me a tight-lipped smile.

“Wait - how and why did you "fake date" each other? Whatever the hell that is!"” Benji asks.

Curtis gives me a knowing smile and clears his throat. “Long story!” he says. He picks up his coffee cup and I can't help but notice his expression changing. Like he’s bothered about something.

“Anyway, we’re just going for a celebratory drink,” Benji says. ”Nick - you should come!”

“Ummm. I'm kind of on my way to meet someone. What are you celebrating?”

“Curtis has a got a new job,” Liv tells me.

“Oh cool! Congrats.”

Curtis looks at me and gives me a sort of awkward smile. He doesn't seem particularly excited about it. He also doesn't seem like the same confident, happy Curtis I met before. Maybe I've just caught him on an off day.

“Yes. He’s LEAVING us!” Benji spits with a pretend scowl. “I don’t know why you wanna leave Manchester to move to Liverpool.”

“Oh. You’re moving to Liverpool?” I ask surprised.

Curtis nods at me with a slightly awkward smile. I want to ask him if Alfie knows yet. That’s the first thing that comes into my head.

“You don’t get lads who look like THIS in Liverpool!” Benji says, pointing to me. “You should definitely come to his leaving party, Nick.”

Curtis groans. “I’m NOT having a leaving party!” he protests.

Benji looks at me. “He is!” he says, defiantly. Then he gasps. “Bring your flatmates.” He turns to Curtis. “Nick has the HOTTEST flatmates.”

Curtis briefly looks at me with a slight, knowing smile. Then he turns back to his coffee and his face looks weirdly serious thing again. I’m expecting him to tell the others that he’s actually good friends with one of those flatmates, but for some reason, he doesn’t.

Benji looks from me to Curtis and arches an eyebrow. “Are you sure you two just fake dated? I’m definitely sensing some chemistry.”

Curtis bashfully smirks at me.

Liv sighs. “Why do you insist on harassing my best friend?”

Benji gives me a cute smile. “Are you sure you don’t want to come for a drink?” He almost looks hopeful.

“Ummm. Nah. I better go,” I say, feeling a twinge of nerves at the thought of what’s waiting for me.

I say goodbye to Benji, Liv and Curtis and leave the coffee shop. My nerves are off the charts as I walk past the mural of the iconic flexing bull Alfie roped me into having a picture taken in front of on my first visit here and walk into The Muscle Factory. Possibly for the last time ever.

There’s a weird atmosphere when I walk in. And now I’m wondering - do people know what happened on Saturday? Has word got around that I had a panic attack and had to leave the competition? God - do some people even know about me and Mason? That I was shagging the guy Jason was seeing behind his back? Does everyone in this gym think I’m the worst person in the world?

But as I walk into the Juice Room, which feels like a good first place to look for my ex-coach, the guy behind the counter casually says hi to me as he always does. And no one else pays me the slightest bit of attention. It’s just business as usual.

I scan the room for Jason, feeling increasingly anxious at the prospect of him not being here. Maybe he’s training with a client. Maybe he's not even working today. But then I spot him. Talking to this hot bald tattooed meathead guy I often see around the gym.

Jason makes eye contact with me and my stomach flips. His expression doesn't change. And now I’m just awkwardly standing here feeling like a bit of a dick. The meathead guy spins around and heads off to the bar, leaving Jason free. Without looking at me, he sits down at a booth and starts working on his laptop. 

My stomach churns as I walk up to him. My heart is actually racing. I stop, standing in front of Jason but he doesn’t look up. This is fucking painful. But then … his eyes veer away from his screen and up at me.

“What can I do for you, Nick?” he asks, more formally than he's ever spoken to me before.

Wow. His whole demeanour is frosty. I guess this was to be expected.

“Ummm. Can we talk?” 

Jason doesn’t reply. He just carries on looking at me with this unnerving glare. Then he breaks eye contact and briefly looks around. “I could do with a break,” he says, closing his laptop, his demeanour relaxing slightly. He stands up and I follow him, not really knowing where I’m going. 

He leads me out of the gym and we sit on one of the benches a few metres away. I guess this isn’t really the type of conversation he’d want any of the lads at the gym to overhear.

“I’m listening,” Jason says, looking at me.

“Right … okay.” God, this is going terribly. I'm so nervous. And Jason's still being cold with me. “So, the Mason thing. I mean … Andy. I didn’t know you two were a thing. At first. I found out at your birthday meal.”

"I already know all of this, Nick."

Wow. He's not making this easy for me. I deserve this though. I completely deserve this.

I swallow and look down at my hands. “He … he told me you weren't serious.”

Jason gives me this look that says Like that's any kind of excuse! Which is completely fair.

“Well, apparently we weren’t!” Jason says, looking away from me. He looks ... I don't know. Embarrassed, maybe. I can tell this whole thing has hurt him. For once, looking at Jason Fox, I don't see this really successful, uber-confident, together guy who I really want to be like when I'm older. I just see a guy who met another guy he liked and got fucked over in the process.

“But … whether the two of you were serious or not, I should have stopped it."

Jason turns and looks at me again.

"I wasn’t really thinking. About you. About you and him. I think I just … got swept up in it all. And I know that’s no excuse. And I know I fucked up. And I know you won't ever want to work with me again. But I just wanted to say ... that I’m sorry.”

Jason’s face has softened slightly. He gently bites his bottom lip and looks away from me. “You know you weren’t the only one he was messing about with, right?”

My stomach tightens. I don't think Jason's saying this to hurt me.

“I went through Andy’s phone." He rolls his eyes. "I found texts from quite a few lads. All saved into his phone with ..." he does a little scoff, "some choice names.”

Oh God. I suddenly feel about two feet tall.

“I think I did know that," I confess. "In the back of my head.” I look away from Jason. “I’m an idiot.”

“Funny. That’s exactly how I feel!”

I look back at Jason. He isn’t smiling, but his face is more relaxed.

“What name was I saved as in his phone?”

“Hot Nerd Utopia.”

I wince. Jason’s mouth actually curls into a smile. None of us speak for a few moments. And then ...

“You’re not an idiot, Nick,” he says, in a kind tone. 

This feeling of hope rises in my chest as I look at Jason Fox.

“You’re a guy who fell for another guy. Who was incredibly charming. And annoyingly sexy.”

I find myself smiling and biting my lip.

“You weren’t in love with him or anything, were you?”

I shake my head. “No,” I answer honestly.

“Good!” Jason says, firmly.

“You deserve better,” I say, honestly. Jason looks surprised. "Than Andy," I add.

Jason’s mouth starts to curl again. “I know!” 

“So … I think I’m gonna join Panthers.”

Jason furrows his eyebrows at me. “Nick … you don’t have to switch gyms because of me.”

I swallow. “I know. I mean … I thought maybe I would have to. But … I genuinely want to try Panthers. It feels like, maybe that’s where I’m supposed to be?”

Jason pulls a surprised face and nods. “Well, it IS an excellent gym. Just … stay away from incredibly charming muscle daddies. Or at least the ones who are also going out with your coach.”

Ad now we're just looking at each other. There’s a slight hint of a smirk on Jason's face.

“Can I ask you to do something for me?” he says.

I have no idea what he’s about to say, but I immediately feel nervous.

“Yeah. I mean … anything,” I say, awkwardly. Anything? What a stupid thing to say! Jason smiles briefly like he’s sort of laughing at me before looking more serious again.

“Can you promise to be a good friend to Alfie?"

Oh wow. I wasn't expecting that.

"Because … I sort of think the world of him."

I smile and nod, my chest feeling lighter.

"But don’t tell him I said that!" Jason quips.

We walk back in the direction of the gym. When we get to the iconic flexing bull, Jason wishes me luck at Panthers and I head back to the tram feeling considerably lighter, but also feeling a twinge of sadness. That me and Jason Fox will probably never become friends like I thought we would. That he'll never think of me in the same way he thinks of Alfie. But at least he doesn’t hate my guts like I thought he would. I’m not sure I’d have handled the situation as well as he has. Maybe Jason Fox is just a better person than I am. 

I check my phone when I’m on the tram. Still no text messages from Danny. Still no signs or clues as to whether he thought what happened between us on Saturday was a mistake. Whether he wants to keep it as a one-time thing and just stay friends. Maybe that will be my punishment for what I did to Jason. Danny King deciding that he just wants to be friends. Maybe that will be karma coming to bite me in my currently striated arse.

My chest tightens as I put the key in the door to the flat. I hear someone in the kitchen. Weirdly, I just know that it’s Danny.

My insides are doing funny things when I approach the kitchen. I want to see him. Obviously, I want to see him. (And kiss him. And be with him. No - I need to not think like that.) But I’m so fucking nervous about the prospect of coming face-to-face with Danny for the first time since yesterday.

He’s got his back to me when I enter the kitchen. He's cooking some food in his Panthers gym hoodie. My heart tugs when I see him.

“Hi!”

He jumps. “Jesus!” he cries, spinning around. There it is. That handsome, rough around the edges face.

“Sorry!”

Danny lets out a little laugh as his face relaxes. And now we’re both smiling at each other slightly. But there’s this ... weird awkward vibe too that I can’t quite put my finger on.

“All right?” he says to me. I wanna go up to him and hug him so badly. Just sink into those massive arms. Into that black Panthers gym hoodie.

“Yeah. You?”

Awkward.

Danny's mouth curls into a little smile. “I’m all right.” 

I feel myself melting and smiling back at him, the tension in the room suddenly easing.

He briefly goes back to the stove and then spins around again. “Wait there!” he orders. Then he disappears from the kitchen and I watch him go into his room. What the hell? I stand there, smiling to myself.

When Danny comes back he looks a little sheepish. Nervous even. His hands are behind his back like he’s hiding something.

“So … I kind of got something for you.”

I furrow my eyebrows and smirk. “Okay?”

“Right. Close your eyes!”

I look at Danny, confused and his eyes widen as if instructing me to do as he says. I obey and close my eyes.

“Okay, now hold your arms out.”

I'm not sure what's happening right now but I feel his hands grip mine and twisting them round so they’re flat with my palms pointing upwards. His touch sends an electric spark through me. It’s pretty ridiculous what this guy does to me.

And then I feel something in my hands. Something soft.

“You can open your eyes now.”

I obey Danny to find him looking at me, still a little sheepish and unsure. I think this is the most nervous I've ever seen him. And then I look down to see the thing Danny has placed in my hands. A neatly folded-up Panthers hoodie. Black - just like Danny’s. My heart is fucking swelling.

I look back up and Danny King is smiling back at me. “Sorry, it’s the same colour as mine. It’s all they had.”

I swallow. “I love it,” I say nervously, feeling like I’m melting into the floor.

“Well, you can’t be a Panthers boy and not have a hoodie. Put it on!” he orders.

I can’t stop smiling as I obey Danny King and put my brand new Panthers Gym hoodie on. It’s a little baggy, but I love it anyway. Danny’s looking at me and smiling. 

“You look ... very cute!" he says, his smile turning into more of a sexy smirk.

Is this really happening to me right now?

"And very cuddly!” he adds.

He steps towards me and my heart feels like it’s about to burst through my chest as Danny King wraps his arms under mine and around my back and he pushes his body up against mine. 

“Hi,” he says, his crazily sexy face a few inches from mine.

“All right!” I say back.

He lets out a little laugh before he moves his lips to mine. And everything just fucking melts away. Because I’m kissing Danny King again. Danny wants to kiss me again! There goes any fear of him having a change of heart about us being more than mates. But there's still one minor detail he doesn't know about.

When we part lips, I’m still wrapped up in his huge arms. Danny’s perfect arms. My eyes drop to his chest and my stomach suddenly clenches. Maybe I shouldn't say anything. Maybe Danny doesn't need to know.

“Everything okay?” he asks me. He looks genuinely concerned. Fuck. No - I have to do this. No more secrets. No more lies.

“I … kind of have to tell you something,” I say nervously.

A voice in my head cries, What are you doing?!

“Okay,” Danny says, looking at me curiously.

Oh God. Here goes. I swallow.

“Alfie kissed me.”

Danny lets go of me and takes a step back and I feel a sharp panic. He looks surprised. And confused. He definitely looks confused.

“Last night. On the sofa. We were drinking Baileys and just talking. And then he kissed me. And ... he ended up on top of me.”

I can’t stop talking. It’s like verbal diarrhoea. It’s like the truth’s just spilling out of my mouth. But I know I need to do this. I’m done with keeping secrets.

“It lasted like, twenty seconds. And then … we both just kinda laughed about it.”

I can’t read Danny’s expression. He’s just looking at me. Fuck.

“It meant nothing. Like - it wasn’t horrible. But … it didn't mean anything. There’s nothing going on there. I think maybe he’s bi or gay and he’s confused about it and I probably shouldn’t be telling you this cause I feel like a shitty friend and I just promised Jason I’d be a good friend to him but I wanna be honest and I feel like you should know. I want you to know. Because … you and me. If there IS a you and me. But if this changes things. If I've messed things up. If you just wanna be friends now …”

My chest tightens.

“Then that’s okay.”

Danny's face falls. And then he furrows his eyebrows at me.

“I mean, it’s NOT okay. Not really. But if that’s what you want. If you think it’s too messy.”

Danny’s mouth starts to twitch.

“Living together. Doing … what we did on Saturday. I get that. I mean - I’d understand.” 

I have nothing left to say. I'm out of words. There’s an excruciating pause. And now I feel embarrassed. Because I'm pretty sure I just spent the last few minutes spewing a load of nonsensical crap.

“Have you finished?” Danny asks calmly.

I want the ground to swallow me whole.

“Yeah,” I say sheepishly, feeling like a complete social retard.

Danny nods. “It’s not what I want.”

My heart drops into my stomach. I knew it. And then …

“I mean ... I don't want to JUST be friends, Nick.”

Fuck. Just … fuck.

“I mean, yeah. It might be messy. And … I’m a bit pissed off that you and Alfie snogged each other. But …”

He steps towards me and wraps his big arms around me again. Fuuuck. 

“... I like you, Nick.”

I smile and melt in Danny's arms. Gripping onto his back.

“I mean, I REALLY like you. You and me. It just works!”

I nod and grip him tighter. Danny's right. Me and him together. It really does work. I can’t explain why, but it does.

“But I have to warn you. Not to sound intense or scare you off, but I’m a little bit all or nothing,” he confesses. “So if we’re doing this, I want us to do it properly.”

I feel a brief pinch of anxiety. And then it vanishes.

“I want that too.”

Of course I fucking want that too. Danny King’s lips curl into a smile and he brings his face to mine and kisses me again. The most amazing fucking kiss. I mean - all of my kisses with Danny are amazing. But this one. Fuck.

“You know what this means though?” he says to me after we've parted lips. I give him a confused look.

“It means you’re gonna have to stop kissing other guys.”

I bite my lip and smile at him.

“Do you think you can do that, Nick? Because at this point it’s starting to become a bit of a hobby.”

I laugh and grip onto him. Then I kiss him again. And it’s just as amazing and mind-blowing as all of the other kisses before. Because it’s Danny King. THE Danny King. Who I think might now be my boyfriend.

When I prize my lips from his, I bury my face into one of his huge shoulders. The material of his black Panthers Gym hoodie against my cheek. His unique scent engulfing me. His arms still wrapped around me. Squeezing me tight. Me and Danny King in our own little shell. Right now, there isn’t anywhere I’d rather be.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

Shit, you almost made me cry there for a sec. Like a weird mix of joy and sadness. 

55 minutes ago, muscleaddict said:

Maybe I am just destined to be a walking fucking disaster when it comes to men.

Might be random, but when I read this, I thought: "Hey, that kind of mirrors Alfie, right?" (Just an observation.) 

I love this story. I love the characters. The sweetness and warmth between Nick and Danny is palpable. And I hope, all goes well for Alfie and Curtis. 

Great work as always, @muscleaddict. 👍💪❤️

• Like 2

Great chapter Great story 

You are the master at keeping your audience gripped till the very end 🙌🫶♥️😘

Now hopefully Alfie can confront his demons and have some kind of thrilling relationship with Curtis, one never can tell with you tho .

But maybe just this time please 🙏 🙌🫶♥️😘

• Like 1